Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Some folks need a trip to Vegas or Atlantic City or something.

Damn.

Some people need to go to the Funny Farm and head down to the diner and break the sheep balls eating record.

mR4hWe.gif

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
People, everyone needs to do this…whether in Boston or not…Twitter barrage FSG lol

Reminds me of the walkout fans staged against the Pirates. Bunch of 40-somethings paid tickets to a game, wore matching shirts, and then left at a pre-determined time.

They got their 15 minutes of fame on TV.

Nothing changed with the Pirates.

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Reminds me of the walkout fans staged against the Pirates. Bunch of 40-somethings paid tickets to a game, wore matching shirts, and then left at a pre-determined time.

They got their 15 minutes of fame on TV.

Nothing changed with the Pirates.
I don't closely follow the fortunes of the Pirates, but changes tend to happen when misfortunes are felt in the wallet by ownership.

I think the problem with the Pirates from what I understand is the way MLB is setup with the revenue sharing they tend to make money whether they win or lose as long as their payroll doesn't balloon. And if it would ever threaten to, they'd just sell off players that cost too much money. So even if the Pirates became good, they'd probably ship out their good players as soon as they started to cost too much. The small market teams in baseball are basically farm teams for the Yankees and Dodgers.

Anyhow, hockey is a little different thanks to the cap. There are teams that don't spend to the cap of course, but teams like the Penguins (who aren't a small market team, but obviously aren't the Leafs/Rangers etc) don't have to deal with the Rangers just spending 800 billion on Crosby as soon as he hits free agency and can actually afford to keep him.

So then, looping allll the way around to your original point (sorry, I got off on a tangent), I think that fan discontent for the Penguins in regards to Sullivan or whomever/whatever actually has more of a chance to effect change for the organization given that NHL teams make a lot of money from playoff revenues and simply owning a team isn't quite as much a license to print money as it is the way MLB is setup.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't closely follow the fortunes of the Pirates, but changes tend to happen when misfortunes are felt in the wallet by ownership.

I think the problem with the Pirates from what I understand is the way MLB is setup with the revenue sharing they tend to make money whether they win or lose as long as their payroll doesn't balloon. And if it would ever threaten to, they'd just sell off players that cost too much money. So even if the Pirates became good, they'd probably ship out their good players as soon as they started to cost too much. The small market teams in baseball are basically farm teams for the Yankees and Dodgers.

Anyhow, hockey is a little different thanks to the cap. There are teams that don't spend to the cap of course, but teams like the Penguins (who aren't a small market team, but obviously aren't the Leafs/Rangers etc) don't have to deal with the Rangers just spending 800 billion on Crosby as soon as he hits free agency and can actually afford to keep him.

So then, looping allll the way around to your original point (sorry, I got off on a tangent), I think that fan discontent for the Penguins in regards to Sullivan or whomever/whatever actually has more of a chance to effect change for the organization given that NHL teams make a lot of money from playoff revenues and simply owning a team isn't quite as much a license to print money as it is the way MLB is setup.
Does MLB's lack of a salary cap put smaller market teams like the Pirates with shallow pocketed owners at a disadvantage? Absolutely.

But other teams make it work.

After three consecutive playoffs appearances in 2013, 2014, and 2015 - the first playoff appearances in 20 years - the Pirates had a significant increase in revenue.

Their response was to cut team payroll. They haven't made the playoffs since. Fan pressure has done nothing. Lack of attendance has done nothing.

Fan pressure rarely impacts ownership decisions in any sport. The Fire Hextall chants had nothing to do with FSG's final decision - Hextall's performance and management style did.

If Mike Sullivan is going to be fired, it'll be because FSG believes his performance is no longer satisfactory, not because the fans want a change. The same would be true under Mario, too. Remember, they held onto Bylsma and Shero longer than fans wanted. Fans wanted Bylsma gone after the Philly debacle.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Does MLB's lack of a salary cap put smaller market teams like the Pirates with shallow pocketed owners at a disadvantage? Absolutely.

But other teams make it work.

After three consecutive playoffs appearances in 2013, 2014, and 2015 - the first playoff appearances in 20 years - the Pirates had a significant increase in revenue.

Their response was to cut team payroll. They haven't made the playoffs since. Fan pressure has done nothing. Lack of attendance has done nothing.

Fan pressure rarely impacts ownership decisions in any sport. The Fire Hextall chants had nothing to do with FSG's final decision - Hextall's performance and management style did.

If Mike Sullivan is going to be fired, it'll be because FSG believes his performance is no longer satisfactory, not because the fans want a change. The same would be true under Mario, too. Remember, they held onto Bylsma and Shero longer than fans wanted. Fans wanted Bylsma gone after the Philly debacle.
That's exactly my point with MLB though. The best you can hope for there as a Pirates fan is to get a few years of playoff appearances and maybe even a championship out of that small window. After that, player payrolls skyrocket and a team like the Pirates is just going to punt all their now heavily priced players out. The Indians (well Guardians now I suppose) have been doing that since the 90's. And have generally been better run than the Pirates (though who isn't lol). But that's about the best you can hope for as a small market team.

Re your bolded point: yes, FSG would have to feel it in the wallet. If fans stop going to Pirates games they still make pretty good money thanks to the way revenue sharing works. They'd just cut payroll even more than they have in that instance and still make money.

Little harder to do that in hockey so if Sullivan drives the Pens into the ground FSG is gonna feel that way more than the Pirates ever would.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
What are the odds Dubas convinces all of Mike Sullivan, FSG and Sheldon Keefe that the latter should join our coaching staff? Not sure I believe the reports of New Jersey's interest in Keefe as a HC. It might be adding a name into the mix to help negotiate with the guy they really want. I don't know.

I would think Dubas could convince Keefe to spend a year as an associate head coach, but I am less sure he can convince Sullivan that it is a good idea.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What are the odds Dubas convinces all of Mike Sullivan, FSG and Sheldon Keefe that the latter should join our coaching staff? Not sure I believe the reports of New Jersey's interest in Keefe as a HC. It might be adding a name into the mix to help negotiate with the guy they really want. I don't know.

I would think Dubas could convince Keefe to spend a year as an associate head coach, but I am less sure he can convince Sullivan that it is a good idea.

I think it is obvious at this point Keefe will either be coming here as a head coach or another org as one.

Reactions: Al Smith

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

Given the number of openings and how quickly Keefe has been connected to interviewing for a couple of them, I think he's going to land another head coaching job.

Reactions: Factorial

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Keefe won't take an associate coach job here, he'd get a head coaching job with someone like New Jersey over that.

Keefe coaching the Devils is going to make them terrifying IMO.

Reactions: Factorial

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3