Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
It's an uphill climb for sure but he's pro size at 6'6" and 209lbs. He moves well for his size. I think he's a bit of a project and underwhelmed this past season in my opinion in the OHL but if he finds a way to deliver consistently the way he played in the playoffs for the Attack he'll have a shot.

The OA front runners for me are Guindon, Hookey, Smith and Jordan. Smith and Guindon would have the most value. I think Hookey and Jordan would end up similar to Lawrence last season and get a late pick. Being that our forward group is on the weaker end, I would keep Guindon and move Smith early to roll with Guindon, Hookey and Jordan as the OAs if you're trying to maximize trade value. The extra time on Jordan and Hookey would allow them to play and potentially build some trade value over the first half that they won't have entering the year. I think with the amount of rookie and younger players expected to be on the roster in the forward mix having an element of toughness that Hookey can bring has value. With that said, I think Jackson Stewart might have a better shot at being the third OA than we maybe think. I don't see it personally but DeGray might value him and his role a little higher with the expected make up of the roster.

In saying all that, they could elect to grab two forwards in the import draft and change the direction of the roster. We'll have to wait for July to see how the import draft plays out and then see if Owen Sound gets commitments to report. Long ways to go before we get any real answers. Priority right now I think is getting a head coach nailed down. DeGray mentioned he doesn't like doing deals over the summer because the value is generally low on returns so I don't imagine we will see anything until close to camp in August for whatever moves may be made.

Honestly, I think Hookey does what Stewart does, not as well, but well enough and provides more offense. If Stewart was an 05 it would be a different conversation.

I think Jordan would get more then Lawrence personally but who knows. He was mentioned quite a few times in the coaches poll, seems like a good OA for a team like Niagara who wants to improve but not spend 2 2nds and a 3rd. Even Sarnia depending if they want an older D, they have quite a few younger guys signed it seems. I think Smith would get more then Mancini did last year, which was a 2nd and 3rd, prices for Overage players seem much more aggressive and steep at the deadline vs September for obvious reasons.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
You can not compare prices from last season... The mem cup being in the O inflated prices beyond belief.. trades will be a bit different this year for sure..

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Honestly, I think Hookey does what Stewart does, not as well, but well enough and provides more offense. If Stewart was an 05 it would be a different conversation.

I think Jordan would get more then Lawrence personally but who knows. He was mentioned quite a few times in the coaches poll, seems like a good OA for a team like Niagara who wants to improve but not spend 2 2nds and a 3rd. Even Sarnia depending if they want an older D, they have quite a few younger guys signed it seems. I think Smith would get more then Mancini did last year, which was a 2nd and 3rd, prices for Overage players seem much more aggressive and steep at the deadline vs September for obvious reasons.
I agree, Hookey provides more elements than Stewart to a line up and would be my preference. The quotes from DeGray in Greg Cowan's piece from the coaching changes last week give me pause in that though. The desire to have the opposition scared to get off the bus fits more with Stewart who is amongst the most physically imposing and intimidating presences in the OHL provided he's playing a more regular shift than fourth line. Who else gives you that kind of element? Maybe I'm just doing mental gymnastics overthinking Dale's comments but if that's the desire out of this roster, I don't think you have the elements present to play that style. The projected forward group will be small and on the light side once you factor in the newly drafted players. Crawford and Nansi have size but neither really play a particularly physical game. McCue plays with some edge but I don't think he alone is going to meet the desired play style. The comments from the GM for the desired play style just doesn't really fit with the roster pieces. I'm not sure you've got much sandpaper on the blueline either.

I think the prices of last season were an aberration. I think as fans if we are expecting those types of returns we will be sorely disappointed. There were some unique circumstances this past season that drove prices that won't be there this coming year. The elite guys should still get good value but not sure about the types of returns we will see on quality OAs like Smith and Guindon. 2nd and a 3rd is probably best case scenario. Maybe two 3rds is more realistic? We will have to wait and see I guess.

Spills

Oct 16, 2021
I agree, Hookey provides more elements than Stewart to a line up and would be my preference. The quotes from DeGray in Greg Cowan's piece from the coaching changes last week give me pause in that though. The desire to have the opposition scared to get off the bus fits more with Stewart who is amongst the most physically imposing and intimidating presences in the OHL provided he's playing a more regular shift than fourth line. Who else gives you that kind of element? Maybe I'm just doing mental gymnastics overthinking Dale's comments but if that's the desire out of this roster, I don't think you have the elements present to play that style. The projected forward group will be small and on the light side once you factor in the newly drafted players. Crawford and Nansi have size but neither really play a particularly physical game. McCue plays with some edge but I don't think he alone is going to meet the desired play style. The comments from the GM for the desired play style just doesn't really fit with the roster pieces. I'm not sure you've got much sandpaper on the blueline either.

I think the prices of last season were an aberration. I think as fans if we are expecting those types of returns we will be sorely disappointed. There were some unique circumstances this past season that drove prices that won't be there this coming year. The elite guys should still get good value but not sure about the types of returns we will see on quality OAs like Smith and Guindon. 2nd and a 3rd is probably best case scenario. Maybe two 3rds is more realistic? We will have to wait and see I guess.
Regardless of who they keep. They had Stewart as a great role player for that this year and didn’t show him the minutes. Hookey stayed on 3/4 line all year NO growth opportunities for either player there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00