Injury Report: Patrick Eaves and Ryan Kesler out for the season

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
So let me get this straight. He averaged 50 games a season between ages 29-31.

You were totally cool giving a player who was going to be past his prime age wise that contract even though 50 games (60% of the season)was the absolute maximum out of him?

That seems very fishy to me and almost appears as people desperately looking to defend Bob

Given the year he had, Eaves contract was pretty reasonable both in terms of AAV and term. For a veteran player in his 30s, that's a normal contract and in this case he and Getzlaf had good chemistry. Eaves would have gotten something like that (or perhaps more AAV but only 2 years) as a UFA. For a guy you have pegged to play in the top 6 and on maybe on the power play, $3M is a good deal (even if he's on the 4th line the last year). And candidly, at the time, I was pleasantly surprised Murray didn't give more term.

Even if Eaves is fragile, it was no way foreseeable that he'd come down with some sort of weird non-hockey illness/disease that would wipe out his career. No one could have envisioned that. No one criticizes gms who sign players who get later get leukemia or other non-hockey diseases.

This is a very different situation than the Stoner signing (where no one would have paid him that AAV or given him that term) or even the Bieksa extension.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I don't mind Kes, we got him because we were on a mission back then and we almost did it also thanks to him. Eaves on the other hand was one of the worst deals I can think of for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad