Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I hope youre right or the team is in big trouble.

This is literally the case for every 25 year old franchise player you sign to a max term big money deal. Teams are in huge trouble when their best players aren't there best players.

But at least we're not signing up for age 28-36 seasons here and there is a history of enough consistent, excellent play that it is just the bet you have to make when it comes to high end talent in this league.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Obviously what is happening is not good but there is not a single player you could get back in a trade that would be as good as EP is when he is playing to his potential, which we have seen for most of his career aside from a couple blips that did eventually resolve themselves.

Again, with the way we're deploying our lines trying to be as strong down the middle as possible relative to weakness on the wings, he's kinda just drawing the short straw and is getting the least offensive support of any player on the roster at 5 on 5. However, he is still contributing excellent defensive results that are part of the team's success.
Every team needs player that help get them into a playoff position but IMO Pettersson has an issue.
Its not only about receiving a similar player. Its about getting out of a potentially catastrophic contract.
Two 50 point guys equal one 100 point guy for less money. In a one for one trade the best for the Canucks is for a defenseman which they don't really need all that much now with all the prospects (man that sounds so weird for Vancouver) in the system. So don't worry about an equal return in one player, get a package and save some extra cap.
If we're talking about the balance of probabilities, I would bet against it being catastrophic. Most likely we're going to be getting totally fair market value (PPG with high- enddefensive impacts) from him for the majority of the contract, with a couple years above, and a couple years below which is what you would expect from a contract covering age 26-32 seasons and a history of being at least a PPG player in 5 of 6 seasons.
As long as Tocchet is here EP's game will not use all of his talents, they just aren't needed or up to the need of the system. I do wish EP was playing like AHO though.
From the allstar break on when Tocchet changed the system to more defensive EP has been going down hill. It doesn't look like he is having fun anymore.
How many interviews has he done lately? Just no confidence. Still falling down a lot. Hesitating too much looking for a play, he looks lost.
Maybe 7 years since being drafted here has left a bad mark in/on him.

It is amazing the suggestions have exploded about moving star level players.
IMO that is the result of the confidence in the front office to do what is necessary to win or to get players, good players.
They earned so much credit for rebuilding the defence and resulting reduction in goals against and the team being where it is now. Get bigger yet and dominate more. Dallas is huge and they aren't filled with super stars but they play Colorado straight up.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
I don’t disagree that Pettersson could do more, but I think the detractors are underestimating how offensively inept mikyheyev is. He is an absolute black hole and should be playing on the 4th line only.

There have been at least 5 or 6 times in these playoffs (probably more) where pettersson has set up his linemates with glorious chances only for them to whiff. If he has 7 or 8 points instead of 4 then we’re probably not having these conversations

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
He had exactly the same kind of offensive slump when he signed his last contract. A lot of people said it was because he held out and started the year late, I remember him looking a lot like he does now. 6 goals-11 assists through his first 37 games that year. I don't know if he needs a sports psychologist or better linemates but we're going to need him to start producing something offensively soon.
I would say re-unite the lotto line but Suter has been low key very good there. At least get Mikheyev off that line. A guy with 1 goal in 60 games shouldn't be anywhere near a Pettersson line. Replace with anybody/try Podz there. I would literally be more confident with Aman on that wing.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
yet when you put the lotto line together, the results weren't great either. He just picked a crappy time to have his yearly slump. I believe its kind of like Horvat, he can go completely cold for stretches, its a mental thing. his defensive effort/presence is still good. But thank goodness Lindholm stepped up, as much as I'm usually a glass half full guy, hes been disappointing since late feburary. He should be able to afford a sports psychologist with his new deal, lets see him Mackinnon it up next year.

The Lotto line hasn't been kept together for more than a few shifts at a time. You can't expect a player who's ice cold to suddenly gel. Especially when those two players have so much chemistry together already.

Tocchet's mistake was not sticking to either the Lotto line during the last stretch of the regular season or shifting Pettersson to Lindholm's wing. Instead, he did these seemingly random combinations that never amounted to anything and now it's a risk to make any major adjustments.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
yet when you put the lotto line together, the results weren't great either. He just picked a crappy time to have his yearly slump. I believe its kind of like Horvat, he can go completely cold for stretches, its a mental thing. his defensive effort/presence is still good. But thank goodness Lindholm stepped up, as much as I'm usually a glass half full guy, hes been disappointing since late feburary. He should be able to afford a sports psychologist with his new deal, lets see him Mackinnon it up next year.

Not enough time of the lotto line being together.

However we have seen him make plays be dangerous when with others. Tonight he was on the ice and an important part of the turnover that lead to Brocks Goal, but he doesn't get an assist for it.

When he plays with better linemates we see more.

I do think he is hurt, and its his core though. He looks better, but not strong as he normally does, and not as fast as he normally does, nore does he seem to shoot like he normally does.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
25 yr old players will still mature and develop. Petey needs to develop thick skin if hes to play for a market like this. Captain Hughes should hook Petey up with Nylander and ask him to pick his brain on how to shut out the noise. Nylander will strive in TO, and Marner wont, Petey has to learn how to stop the spiral with our media.

I dont want to excuse him because of his linemates, because he will make 11+ next year, and people dont give you much leash when you take that much of the pie, he will always get a lion's share of pressure.

The expectations this year is low, so we dont have fans hounding him when he goes to Urban fare or a park, but if he does his disappearing act in 2 years, its going to be ugly. Hes a keeper no matter how much hes slumping now, the evidence that hes a franchise player is overwhelming.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
No one else in the league is expected to do what he is expected to do with literally AHLers and healthy scratches

"He should elevate his linemates!!!"

He has a guy who has scored one goal in the entire calendar year and it's mid May on one side, and a guy who was just healthy scratched on the other.

In order to "elevate" his linemates he has to rent an excavator and tunnel underground first. I'd like him to be better, sure, but no other star player in the league has to deal with anything close to this.

Reactions: racerjoe and arttk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad