Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Let’s shift this convo ab Yager and his weight, we’ve just gone in circles lol.

Any particular prospects you guys want the Pens to draft with picks 44 and 46? I think BPA is the best route but I hope there is still a good dman, preferably RH, on the board. This draft is loaded with dmen. Harrison Bruenicke and Linus Eriksson are my picks. I also really like Solberg but he’s rising FAST and might sneak in the top 10 a la Moritz Seider.

Dubas loves parlaying picks into more picks. Wouldn't be surprised to see him drop one of the 2nds for a late 2nd and a 3rd.

Also wouldn't shock me to see them combine both 2nds for like 30th overall.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Artamonov is weird beacuse he put up excellent numbers in the KHL as a 17yo, but he’s seen as a late 1st early 2nd prospect. Would for sure be an interesting grab. Letourneau could be Tage Thompson or Michael McCarron, I like it.
My buddy and I were just talking about this. He’s put up numbers that mirror guys that have been top 15 projected picks, easily. Would love him to fall far enough to take a swing at.

Might be some underlying stuff there mixed in with lack of exposure with Russia being barred from everything internationally. Come to a Pittsburgh and be our Panarin!

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Dubas loves parlaying picks into more picks. Wouldn't be surprised to see him drop one of the 2nds for a late 2nd and a 3rd.

Also wouldn't shock me to see them combine both 2nds for like 30th overall.
Tbh the players from 17-45 are pretty interchangeable. So I hope he doesn’t feel the need to move up, unless it’s top15 or somebody is falling like a rock and we can move up to nab him. Hopefully he moves Smith, Eller, etc. to get picks for next years draft opposed to this draft.

My buddy and I were just talking about this. He’s put up numbers that mirror guys that have been top 15 projected picks, easily. Would love him to fall far enough to take a swing at.

Might be some underlying stuff there mixed in with lack of exposure with Russia being barred from everything internationally. Come to a Pittsburgh and be our Panarin!
Was reading that he might not have a high ceiling and no elite traits. Sounds like a good third liner, which would be great in the 2nd round. Right up that dolt Sullivan’s alley.

Reactions: lokomotiv15

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Lol, I was on the verge of guessing him but some how doubted myself. Tell the Man With an Arm For a Leg we remember him fondly and we wish him the best!
Haha will do. He loved Pitt, said they had this favourite fans. Good mix of loving the game but respectful around the city. I think he gave everyone too much credit for knowing who he would even be in public 😂.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Tbh the players from 17-45 are pretty interchangeable. So I hope he doesn’t feel the need to move up, unless it’s top15 or somebody is falling like a rock and we can move up to nab him. Hopefully he moves Smith, Eller, etc. to get picks for next years draft opposed to this draft.

Was reading that he might not have a high ceiling and no elite traits. Sounds like a good third liner, which would be great in the 2nd round. Right up that dolt Sullivan’s alley.
I admittedly am not as familiar with this class as other years, and haven’t had a chance to take a dive into it, so I don’t know what it looks like much after 14-15. Don’t know if there are more high risk/reward players hanging around in the spot we pick first or not. Probably not as interesting a scouting report as I would have liked to hear on him, but I’ve seen a decent amount of guys with the “not great at anything “ tag pull things together and be decent NHL players. I just can’t remember any that put up similarly impressive numbers in their draft year relative to the league and peers be labelled that.

A guy like But puts up 2 goals his draft year but he’s big and has a great shot so he goes top 15, but this guy out scores him in his D+1 year and isn’t even talked about as a first rounder In most circles. Guess that’s why they’re scouts and I’m on my IPhone waiting for my wings and poutine to get delivered.

• Haha
Reactions: Kasperi kapanen

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
I admittedly am not as familiar with this class as other years, and haven’t had a chance to take a dive into it, so I don’t know what it looks like much after 14-15. Don’t know if there are more high risk/reward players hanging around in the spot we pick first or not. Probably not as interesting a scouting report as I would have liked to hear on him, but I’ve seen a decent amount of guys with the “not great at anything “ tag pull things together and be decent NHL players. I just can’t remember any that put up similarly impressive numbers in their draft year relative to the league and peers be labelled that.

A guy like But puts up 2 goals his draft year but he’s big and has a great shot so he goes top 15, but this guy out scores him in his D+1 year and isn’t even talked about as a first rounder In most circles. Guess that’s why they’re scouts and I’m on my IPhone waiting for my wings and poutine to get delivered.
I hear ya. There is a drop off after pick 6/7, then a major drop off imo after picks 15/16. Artamonov is in the picks 17-45 tier. I don’t think anybody really has a great grasp on him, (well, anyone in this site). For all we know he could be the real deal and explode into a stud. Point is, if he’s already putting up pretty stellar numbers for a draft eligible player in the KHL without any elite trait, it shows that he’s got that Guentzel level IQ potentially to just know where to be and how to play a pro game. Would for sure love that pick in the 2nd!

at this point, I don't really see a player i would want to move up for. but that could all change quickly.
Yea, I would rather stand pat personally. The depth is pretty good heading into the 2nd round. It’s nice that our picks are basically back to back. Like Gurglesons said earlier tho, a trade down might be smart to grab a 3rd maybe.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Artamonov is weird beacuse he put up excellent numbers in the KHL as a 17yo, but he’s seen as a late 1st early 2nd prospect. Would for sure be an interesting grab. Letourneau could be Tage Thompson or Michael McCarron, I like it.
I wouldn't grab any KHL guys with a first unless they were really franchise level, but taking a swing at Artamonov isn't the worst idea in the world. Just be prepared to accept he might not come over at all.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I wouldn't grab any KHL guys with a first unless they were really franchise level, but taking a swing at Artamonov isn't the worst idea in the world. Just be prepared to accept he might not come over at all.
when you compare that to another pick's chance of failing all together it doesn't become that big a risk. (when you're looking for home run swings) you should be able to add bottom 6 players much easily than top 6. imo
to me up-side is the most important factor.

Reactions: Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I’ve seen a decent amount of guys with the “not great at anything “ tag pull things together and be decent NHL players. I just can’t remember any that put up similarly impressive numbers in their draft year relative to the league and peers be labelled that.
i think you may have a better chance to get a top 6 player looking for a guy that does do some things very well but has flaws in other areas. while they might not ever be a complete package, they could very well complement your better players so they could all work out well.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I'm very rarely looking to trade down. I like moving up most years but I'm not sure there's a reason to this year. maybe moving to next year would be good.
That’s the opposite of what we, and really all NHL teams should do. These picks are lottery balls and you want to get as many possible. Should be trying to aggregate as many picks in the first three rounds as possible.

Obviously early first round picks are different but the most teams cannot accurately determine how good an 18 year old kid will be after the top talent goes off the board.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas if he moves Smith will have 3 picks in second and third or maybe 3 seconds. Pens just need to restock the farm here and RD, RH center are still my wishes. I also think next year Dubas will go all in on a retool with roster moves for younger players, prospects and picks.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
when you compare that to another pick's chance of failing all together it doesn't become that big a risk. (when you're looking for home run swings) you should be able to add bottom 6 players much easily than top 6. imo
to me up-side is the most important factor.
That's why you burn a later pick on them, sure. I wish we didn't draft for floor as much as we seem to do.

Reactions: The Old Master

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
That’s the opposite of what we, and really all NHL teams should do. These picks are lottery balls and you want to get as many possible. Should be trying to aggregate as many picks in the first three rounds as possible.

Obviously early first round picks are different but the most teams cannot accurately determine how good an 18 year old kid will be after the top talent goes off the board.
all picks are lottery balls, but the higher you pick, while you may not have as many chances, you will have better ones. :nod:
edit; if you have a choice between one roll of the dice for a seven, two rolls for snake eyes, you go for the seven every time.
edit ; i guess it depends on what/where is available

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think it's never smart to trade up because the draft is a crapshoot. I'd almost always trade down from the #15 pick on for more picks. Rather have a late first and a 2nd than #15-#19.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think it's never smart to trade up because the draft is a crapshoot. I'd almost always trade down from the #15 pick on for more picks. Rather have a late first and a 2nd than #15-#19
I agree.

But what makes the NHL so frustrating is how it’s a results based sport. So the team that eschews what you’re saying and drafts Barzal walks out of the draft in a better spot than Boston with 3 cracks at it.

Process was “worse” but the results nullify the process.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Someone made a graph that showed a drop off in NHL GP from at the top end of the draft but it started to get real steep around like 20th overall then kinda leveled off very late like 5-7.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I think it's never smart to trade up because the draft is a crapshoot. I'd almost always trade down from the #15 pick on for more picks. Rather have a late first and a 2nd than #15-#19.
I think it was jaded that posted a chart showing the odds of a player succeeding at where they are drafted, and it drops fairly quickly and that didn't just count players that became stars, but players who played a certain number of games. so that might give you an idea of value. but i believe that whoever gets the best player wins the trade. quality over quantity every time and i'm not looking for just a player that will play lots of games as a fourth liner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad