Rochester Americans and Jacksonville Icemen 2024 Off-season Thread.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
So, with Appert moving up, what are the chances they can poach someone good for this job? Say...any chance Michael Peca would trade being an assistant on an NHL bench for getting HC experience in Rochester?

Paetsch or Prospal getting promoted feels par for the course though with this org.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
So, with Appert moving up, what are the chances they can poach someone good for this job? Say...any chance Michael Peca would trade being an assistant on an NHL bench for getting HC experience in Rochester?

Paetsch or Prospal getting promoted feels par for the course though with this org.

What's wrong with Vinnie as HC? I think he'd do a good job.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
todo:

re-sign Murray, multiple years, 1-way. He's the future captain.
re-sign Cecconi. local guy, shouldn't be too hard.

Consider re-signing Davies. Let all the other FAs walk.

If my tracking is right:
Mersch and Metsa have 1 more year, AHL only deals. So we're good with a solid young D / leader, and our captain.

UFA:
Need a vet center, plain and simple. My target, as he's been multiple times, is Andrew Poturalski. Local guy with a storied AHL career.

Need some fresh blood on defense. Ideas still pending. Komarov will be coming.

Could use size at forward. Maybe a reunion with Justin Bailey?

We'll see which of the big 5 (Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich, Rosen, Wahlberg) are here. For the moment, I'm planning on all of them being in Roch.

Does Ryan Johnson graduate? He's the closest to Buffalo of the prospects, and frankly, he should be.

Does Devon Levi graduate? You need 1 goalie minimum; two if Levi goes up.

and of course a Head Coach. I like the Jay McKee idea. I love the Michael Peca idea.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Yes I wonder at his abilities yet I would follow Apps if he was leading my team. Weird juxtaposition but it is how I feel.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So who is it going to be? Pantech? Or Prospol? .... gonna be one of them. It's what we do.

Path of least resistance

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
So random question: when the Sabres farm team was the Portland Pirates, were people still fans of the Amerks? Or did you temporarily switch loyalties? Or did the Amerks become your 1B?
I'd imagine the answer to this is different depending on whether one lives in Rochester or Buffalo. The final years of the affiliation the first go-round weren't exactly roses either...

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'd imagine the answer to this is different depending on whether one lives in Rochester or Buffalo. The final years of the affiliation the first go-round weren't exactly roses either...

See I can imagine that you’d want them (the Amerks) to do well regardless, but only if it didn’t come at the expense of the Pirates.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
See I can imagine that you’d want them (the Amerks) to do well regardless, but only if it didn’t come at the expense of the Pirates.
I suspect it was the other way around for a lot of people in Rochester (and obviously non-Sabres fans living here wouldn't really care about the affiliation change anyway).

I tend to doubt, for example, season ticket holders would root for Portland on the rare occasion they came to town over Rochester. More casual Amerks fans who were Sabres fans may have followed Portland and rooted for them over the Amerks, I don't know.

Thankfully it didn't come up much since the teams were in separate conferences at the time.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
So random question: when the Sabres farm team was the Portland Pirates, were people still fans of the Amerks? Or did you temporarily switch loyalties? Or did the Amerks become your 1B?
I never rooted for Portland. I rooted for the Sabres prospects. Technicality, sure, but whether the Pirates won or lost was less of a consideration than whether Nathan Gerbe was developing, for instance.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I never rooted for Portland. I rooted for the Sabres prospects. Technicality, sure, but whether the Pirates won or lost was less of a consideration than whether Nathan Gerbe was developing, for instance.
Yeah that's the other thing. It doesn't come up as much here because we're a self-selecting sample posting in an Amerks thread on a Sabres board, but there has certainly been tensions in the past between winning and development. Rochester made 6 finals in 11 years from 1989-2000 - they were used to having winners and there was always a hunger locally (that you would see more by going to actual Amerks forums) to get more veteran players to win over getting prospects quality ice time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad