Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
That entire Mika line sucked in game 5 and all of Kreider (weak zone clears), Roslovic (neutral zone fly-by), and Mika (bad change) were very responsible for Staal's goal. And that makes it extra annoying because literally any one of those three guys could have done their job and there's no chance Staal would score, let alone even have a high danger chance.

They, and the rest of the team, played with zero physicality in that game. They didn't forecheck hard, take the body, or knock Carolina off of the puck. They lost many 50/50 puck battles along the boards. The Rangers tend to suck when they play soft like that. I think that's the reason our record is so good when Rempe plays. They tend to be more physical when he's in the lineup as his big hits are contagious. Obviously Rempe played in game 5 and they all stunk.

Bring back the physicality and attention to detail (cough paging Artemi) and I like our chances in game 6.
Agreed with this post completely!
The whole team played horribly, without any emotion and fight in them.
However, Laviolette must take responsibility also, since he made no in game adjustments to change the tempo of the game. Everyone was asleep at the wheel in game 5!

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Agreed with this post completely!
The whole team played horribly, without any emotion and fight in them.
However, Laviolette must take responsibility also, since he made no in game adjustments to change the tempo of the game. Everyone was asleep at the wheel in game 5!

We sometimes see games like this from the Rangers when they just got back from a road game and play their first game back home. It's as if they expect the "home advantage" to do all the hard work for them. Or something, I dunno what it is.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Kreider is not practicing (maintenence).

Wheeler (Placeholder) - Mika - Roslovic
Panarin - Trocheck - Laf
Cuylle - Wennberg - Kakko
Vesey - Goodrow - Brodz

Lindgren - Fox
Trouba - Miller
Gus - Schneider
Trouba and Miller has proven not to work. I don't buy this Chytil illness BS. Did Lavi not watch Jones play at the end of the year? Brodz doesn't move the needle at all. Id rather see Edstrom than him. I couldn't hate this lineup more.

Reactions: surlysailor

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Miller and Schneider are the only pair that have played to (or close to) even at 5v5.

Naturally they get broken up and Trouba moves up so he can be keyed on even more.

This is AV levels of malpractice.

Reactions: CLW

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
From the NY Post paywall Q&A with Mollie Walker:

Any chance Blake Wheeler draws into the lineup for a Game 6 spark?
Laviolette said Tuesday they are working to get Wheeler up to speed after the 6-foot-5 forward shed his red non-contact jersey for the first time on Monday. The Rangers head coach reiterated a couple times that Wheeler had only just graduated to a regular jersey, so I don’t anticipate him being available for Game 6.

Jack Roslovic's turn-and-run non-play on Dmitry Orlov was anything but playing "hungry" hockey. Didn't even think about contesting the puck. Led to the Jordan Staal goal that opened the door for the Canes. Do you think there's a chance Laviolette sits him if Chytil is ready to go?
It was a bad play, there’s no question about it. Scratching Roslovic wouldn’t be totally out of left field, especially considering Laviolette did so on April 7 against the Canadiens. But that was also during a time when the Rangers needed a lot more from the 27-year-old wing. I think Roslovic has elevated his game tremendously since the playoffs began, which was something that needed to happen considering the rate he was going through his 19 regular-season games.
I imagine Rempe will be the 12th forward in the Game 6 lineup, so if Chytil is available and that’s the route Laviolette wants to take, I believe the 6-foot-8 ½ forward would be the odd man out.

Do you think the team will work with Rempe on a skating program over the summer? I'm sick of defending him to naysayers who think he's only a fighter. I think he will eventually be an effective fourth-liner.
I have no doubt the Rangers will put a lot of time and effort into shaping Rempe this summer. They may even invite him to stay in New York and work with their staff in the offseason.

If the Rangers get to the conference finals, would they prefer to play the Bruins or the Panthers?
I think the Blueshirts have a more favorable matchup against the Bruins. The Panthers are a lofty task. That’s probably the one series in the East in which I would consider the Rangers to be slight underdogs.

Who is the "leader" in the [locker room]? Is there one voice that is respected more than others, or is it a committee of voices?
My understanding is that it is definitely a committee of voices. They didn’t name six alternate captains — Artemi Panarin, Chris Kreider, Mika Zibanejad, Jacob Trouba, Barclay Goodrow and now ex-teammate Ryan Strome — in 2021-22 just for fun. Since Trouba was named captain, the other four, as well as Adam Fox, still serve as alternates. All of them play a role, as well as goalie Jonathan Quick, who has stepped up as a leadership voice as well.
Before the second overtime in Game 3, Quick spoke up in the locker room. Before overtime in Game 4, Panarin spoke up. Whoever feels inclined to speak at a particular moment is given the floor. They all share the responsibility.

Is Laviolette willing to open the power play with the second unit since the first has fallen back on bad habits?
I think I can count on one hand the number of times Laviolette has deployed the second power-play unit first. This is a trait that has followed every Rangers head coach the past few years. They have seemed to identify the dominance that the first unit is capable of and end up relying on it heavily. Not every aspect of the Rangers' game can be perfect all the time. The power play, despite being one of the team’s greatest assets, will have peaks and valleys. It’s been a couple games without any success on the man-advantage, but does that diminish all that it has accomplished this postseason?

Would you switch goalies? Give Igor Shesterkin a rest? Quick has been extraordinary this year!
No doubt Quick had an extraordinary year, but that’s Shesterkin’s net.

These questions gave me an aneurysm

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Miller and Schneider are the only pair that have played to (or close to) even at 5v5.

Naturally they get broken up and Trouba moves up so he can be keyed on even more.

This is AV levels of malpractice.
Miller and Schneider are -1 at 5v5.

Gustafsson and Trouba are -1 at 5v5.

Schneider having his young life ended by Jordan Staal while Miller watched eating popcorn was as bad as anything Trouba did.

Our whole defense sucks and shuffling the chairs doesn't matter as much as people think it does.

If there's malpractice it's this: Adam Fox has a 72% xGF away from Lindgren in the playoffs.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Miller and Schneider are -1 at 5v5.

Gustafsson and Trouba are -1 at 5v5.

Schneider having his young life ended by Jordan Staal while Miller watched eating popcorn was as bad as anything Trouba did.

Our whole defense sucks and shuffling the chairs doesn't matter as much as people think it does.

If there's malpractice it's this: Adam Fox has a 72% xGF away from Lindgren in the playoffs.

Eh not exactly what happened.

Schneider had no gas or else theres no way he doesn't press him towards the wall. Miller has to account for the pass to who ever was trailing (Teravainen?) - If he cheats towards Staal the second Schneider gets beat, thats where that puck is going and thats a more dangerous shot. I've already highlighted why and where that whole sequence really went wrong, no need to rehash it again.

I was referring to their x numbers anyway. They're the only pair at basically 50%.

Lindgren has been a problem all year, yeah. I think at this point most of us would like to see Fox play with a better partner but this is just how its going to be for the rest of this playoff run unless one of them gets hurt.

They probably end up wrapping this series because again, its hard to win 4 in a row against anyone. When the season does inevitably end, 55 and 8 are guys who 1000000000% cannot be here next year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Eh not exactly what happened.

Schneider had no gas or else theres no way he doesn't press him towards the wall. Miller has to account for the pass to who ever was trailing (Teravainen?) - If he cheats towards Staal the second Schneider gets beat, thats where that puck is going and thats a more dangerous shot. I've already highlighted why and where that whole sequence really went wrong, no need to rehash it again.

I was referring to their x numbers anyway. They're the only pair at basically 50%.

Lindgren has been a problem all year, yeah. I think at this point most of us would like to see Fox play with a better partner but this is just how its going to be for the rest of this playoff run unless one of them gets hurt.

They probably end up wrapping this series because again, its hard to win 4 in a row against anyone. When the season does inevitably end, 55 and 8 are guys who 1000000000% cannot be here next year.
Nobody rails on Trouba more than I do, but after getting a good look at Miller-Schneider, I'm thoroughly unimpressed there as well.

Schneider, I like now. Miller always has good x numbers and keeps bleeding goals against. The sample is a handful of years now. I'm ready to add him to the list of defensemen who need to not be here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad