The Athletic Sabres draft pick, goalie and captain possibilities among questions facing GM Kevyn Adams

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Matthew Fairburn's first article as the Sabres beat writer for The Athletic is up.

Now comes the challenging part. Tearing down a roster is easier than building one back up. As encouraging as the end of the season was, general manager Kevyn Adams now needs to make the right moves to keep this team heading in the right direction while avoiding mistakes that derailed past rebuilding efforts.

“You can’t hit fast forward,” Adams said at the end of the season.

“Certain decisions you can make in the short-term that maybe would push you a little bit further along, it may come back to haunt you a little bit later. We have to be really disciplined and careful as we put this together.”

As the draft and free agency get closer, here are a few pressing questions that will define this offseason for Adams and the Sabres.

1. Who is going to play goalie?​

2. How much will the Sabres be willing to spend?​

3. Will the Sabres keep all three first-round picks?​

4. Who will be Buffalo’s next captain?​

5. How will the Sabres handle Russian prospects?​

Not a bad initial article, IMO.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
My predictions on answers are

1. Whoever says yes unfortunately.

2. I don’t actually think willingness to spend is the problem…I think it’s the timing of where they are. There just aren’t that many positions available because they’re filled with young cost controlled people they’ve developed. Somehow this has been viewed as a negative. If the second half of the year becomes the new normal…next year is when you make these evaluations and big splashes. When you get a great look at your depth and development. Hard decisions to improve the team with money are coming…but not this year.

3. Yep.

4. I’d give it to Tuch but I feel like they’ll give it to Okposo.

5. They’ll be among the teams looking to take advantage of talent being available after they should have been taken and be thrilled to draft them

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Matthew Fairburn's first article as the Sabres beat writer for The Athletic is up.

Not a bad initial article, IMO.
Seems like he's asking the reader to do all the work for him. Just asks the same questions everyone else has, but doesnt' have enough insight into managment to have anything more than an educated guess, like the average fan.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Seems like he's asking the reader to do all the work for him. Just asks the same questions everyone else has, but doesnt' have enough insight into managment to have anything more than an educated guess, like the average fan.

Fairburn is one of the best in the business. He's getting his Sabres feet wet but he'll be a huge improvement on Vogl.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like he wrote this as a starting point, an anchor for himself to start working on what is going on. He's been on-staff for what, a week? I'm game to give him more time to get his bearings and see what he can do. We already know that almost no one in town gets anything from the team or about the team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well, he doesn't have a crystal ball with regards to what Adams will do. So, I like this type of thing a little more than the mock offseason stuff you see out there.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Seems like he wrote this as a starting point, an anchor for himself to start working on what is going on. He's been on-staff for what, a week? I'm game to give him more time to get his bearings and see what he can do. We already know that almost no one in town gets anything from the team or about the team.
Chad?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Good summary and I agree. He asked the obvious questions but didn't provide any insight or informed suggestions.

Maybe the was the point of that article for casual fans who haven't thought to ask those questions, but it was a whole lotta nothing. He would have been better off having interviewed Adams, even if he was met with evasion, to ask him these questions.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Good summary and I agree. He asked the obvious questions but didn't provide any insight or informed suggestions.

Maybe the was the point of that article for casual fans who haven't thought to ask those questions, but it was a whole lotta nothing. He would have been better off having interviewed Adams, even if he was met with evasion, to ask him these questions.
I doubt he gets on Adams' calendar for something like that.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Fairburn is one of the best in the business. He's getting his Sabres feet wet but he'll be a huge improvement on Vogl.
Definitely agreed there. Wasn't trying to rag on him...more a comment on the state of affairs in the offseason. There's really not a whole lot of interesting things to talk about imo outside the draft.

Vogl sucked really bad, his bland content will not be missed.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I doubt he gets on Adams' calendar for something like that.

Agreed, which is also why he shouldn't have written this article yet until he did. Or in the absence of Adams, he could have tried to get some insight from other people who may cover the team (Biron? whoever). Anything to make this article more than an empty sandwhich. Perhaps he just got orders from his editor to produce some content for the site.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Well, he doesn't have a crystal ball with regards to what Adams will do. So, I like this type of thing a little more than the mock offseason stuff you see out there.
Yeah, either does anyone -- you can tell he was forced to write something even though he had no ideas for an article.

Reactions: jmelm

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Well, Chad might have sources, he recently said about Subban and Campbell.
Lance has a source with the team too. He doesn't report "rumors", as in who they are going to sign or trade, but he does write about information others don't (like Bishop's pay only being $700K, and he is the only one I've seen that put out the dates for development camp even though it hasn't been announced by the team).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fjordy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad