Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don’t like bridging players to their last RFA year, it gives the player far too much leverage to simply go to arbitration and hit UFA.

I see.. its a good stance

Doubt anyone goes that high for Pinto, but even if they did Ottawa would match and move a guy like Joseph for example.

Reported that team has been discussing 5/6 year term which makes the most sense.
I don't see it below 5x5 , higher AAV for more UFA years

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah, I guess Jarventie can do a good Kubalik impression by being a shy perimeter player with a good shot, but ideally I want someone better. Someone I can plug into the top 6 who can push Pinto down to the third line. I dream of a Greig - Pinto - Joseph third line.

Personally I think you're selling Jarventie short a bit, but regardless of what your assessment of the player is, I don't think we're adding a player with a salary of more than $2M to replace Kubalik. More likely it will be Crookshank.

A line of Greig - Pinto - Joseph would be great but even if Norris is healthy I think that one of Pinto or Greig will be in the top 6.

I think a third line of Crook - Greig - Joseph could be really effective.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This is a risky but interesting idea.

The risk is that we stall out and Pinto becomes a top line player (or close to top line)... basically Stone 2.0... and then walks to UFA/isn't willing to extend. And if Norris is permanently compromised and immovable, we will need to navigate very carefully.

On the other hand, the cap is tight and will go up significantly in the next 3-5 years. If Pinto tops out as a $6m player and wants to stick around, this is probably the best option.

I would rather go at least 5yrs but this move should tell us a bit about how Staois et al will operate moving forward
It’s a dumb idea. Yours is far superior. Are we really going to walk pinto to the ultimate leverage situation?

This is a player that we buy into; he’s a core player that we don’t want to nickle and dime, all the way to one year out from FA.

Have we not learned our lesson?

Last edited:
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I worry a bit that Pinto played this season guilty. Only playing a half season and in a contract year...I think it's screwing projections of him a fair bit.

I do like Pinto and think he is going to be like Pageau, as in a superstar 3rd liner type of guy who can plug into the second line and be good enough to almost stick there full time.

He's the exact type of player who we should bridge. If it means he gets more money in his next contract 3 years down the road, that's ok. It means he will have earned it.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I worry a bit that Pinto played this season guilty. Only playing a half season and in a contract year...I think it's screwing projections of him a fair bit.

I do like Pinto and think he is going to be like Pageau, as in a superstar 3rd liner type of guy who can plug into the second line and be good enough to almost stick there full time.

He's the exact type of player who we should bridge. If it means he gets more money in his next contract 3 years down the road, that's ok. It means he will have earned it.
I’m higher on Pinto than you but I don’t see a long-term deal of 5.5-6 mil as much of a risk. Even if he’s an elite 3C rather than a top 6 guy that’s about the going rate for one with cap increases.

The other thing about a 3 year deal is that Zub and Batherson are up, and in 4 years it’s Brady and Chabot. I don’t think we keep them all anyway, but regardless let’s say you keep Batherson and Brady, between them you could be adding 6 million to your cap. Having Pinto locked up is probably important for our cap flexibility.

If this thing all unravels before then, you’re probably not so worried about cap allocation. So a long-term deal makes more sense to me.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think it will be under 6 mil. This isn't Pierre Dorion negotiating the contracts, I'm guessing Staios won't be as willing to throw big money at these guys until they can prove they are gamers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad