Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training is over. The season begins today

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think on a per rate basis he’s right there in the top 5, and that’d only make him one of the highest paid catchers because it’s a young and inexpensive gen of catchers right now with multiple locked up through their arb years. It’s not much different from Martin’s salary.

Contreras got 5/87, so something like that, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if he got up to Perez’s salary on the open market.

Edit: if he did play as many games as Contreras since 2021 while maintaining his average form, he’d be a full win higher than him.

Again, health does play a part, but if he’s healthy the rest of the year I think he gets a pretty good pay day. And you’re right I might be completely out to lunch in terms of evaluations because there aren’t a lot of comps out there. I’d love it if he settles in at like a 3/50 or 4/60 deal + club or mutual options.
On a per PA basis, he's every bit as good as Will Smith, who just signed for 10/140. He won't get close to that because of the injuries (he's only played half as much over the last few years), but he's up there with the best catchers in the league.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Monday morning again:

Def

P - Berrios and Kikuchi are tied for 4th overall (and 1st in the AL in DRS) with 2

C - Kirk 2nd overall and 1st in the AL in Def (Jano is 23rd overall). Kirk is 3rd in DRS (because Vazquez has tied Raleigh at 7 with Kirk at 6)

1B - Vlad is down in 33rd, though it looks better when you filter to a higher min innings. He's been middle of the pack at best so far.

2B - Biggio is 18th, with IKF 24.

SS - Bo is up to 26th overall and is comfortable mid-pack among starters. DRS doesn't like him.

3B - IKF is 13th in Def and has 1 DRS

LF - Varsho leads Def and is 2nd in DRS (to Verdugo) ****Note: Varsho currently ONLY qualifies in CF

CF - Kiermaier is 4th and Varsho is 6th in Def. They are T-12 and T-6 in DRS.

RF - Springer is roughly mid-pack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad