SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I don't want to spread rumours. I just want him signed.
I'm not understanding your comments. There are no rumours being spread about Cali.

He's a seemingly uncommitted first rounder that came to camp and said all of the right things. Your reasons for being worried are not obvious to me.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I'm not understanding your comments. There are no rumours being spread about Cali.

He's a seemingly uncommitted first rounder that came to camp and said all of the right things. Your reasons for being worried are not obvious to me.

Perhaps he seriously thinking about the USHL route....Muskegon did take him fairly high.

Reactions: Fischhaber

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If Croskery comes great. But I am more worried about getting Cali signed right now.
he was making noise all year about ncaa. his mom was a high level hockey player who did well there. towards the end of the year it did sound like he was an ohl guy. i didn't think he was a rock solid 1st, hes one of those heavy two way guys who probably doesnt get a point a game until hes 19 but hes a very good player. with all the kids going bchl/ushl i cant argue him at that spot.

he wont play in the ushl next year that draft is not about this year, but maybe a prep school and then ushl? im sure the soo drafted him with the statement from him that hed report.

A couple had Virgilio nearly on par with Dickinson and NOBODY repeated those claims on these boards as much as YOU did. Instead of realizing that and adjusting your perspective you’re once again searching for the most complimentary scouting reports on Greyhound draft picks and running with those as if they were the law. Virgilio is a fine defenseman but when the expectations are raised to Dickinson/Parekh level, it’s gonna put the kid in a situation where he’s gonna dissapoint people.
i remember posting that he was not nearly as good as they said and got nailed for it, like personal, aggressive and mean about it. its bizarre how protective and defensive some are. online allows that i guess.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
i dont think hes ready for the ushl to be honest. i think alot of the ontario kids will struggle, outside of maybe croskery.

If he's not ready for the USHL then the same could be said for the OHL.....was the Ontario 08 that weak of a class? If so, then the 26 NHL draft for N.A. players is going to be really subpar as the U.S. 08 class is certainly nothing to get excited about.....

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If he's not ready for the USHL then the same could be said for the OHL.....was the Ontario 08 that weak of a class? If so, then the 26 NHL draft for N.A. players is going to be really subpar as the U.S. 08 class is certainly nothing to get excited about.....
ushl is harder for younger players, most 4th line guys are older players who trying to get d1 commits. they had less games played for 07s then the OHL did despite pulling from the country, not just the provence. a kid like matt coronato didnt make the league at 16 and was a 1st round nhl pick. zach morin would have gone 1 in the qmjhl and he barely played last year in youngston, 5-8 minutes a night on average based on instat ice time.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
ushl is harder for younger players, most 4th line guys are older players who trying to get d1 commits. they had less games played for 07s then the OHL did despite pulling from the country, not just the provence. a kid like matt coronato didnt make the league at 16 and was a 1st round nhl pick. zach morin would have gone 1 in the qmjhl and he barely played last year in youngston, 5-8 minutes a night on average based on instat ice time.

Possible but Cali has the size and strength to play for Muskegon (albeit in a limited/sheltered role) next year and I think playing in the USHL next season would be better for his long term development than playing Prep hockey.

Apparently, there are some legs to the rumor of Cali to Muskegon (sorry Soo fans....but still just rumors).

The USHL has made massive gains in terms of recruiting elite players over the past few seasons and it just seems that now the flood gates have opened.

Pretty grievous blow to the Hounds if both Cali and Croskery fail to report...but this is something that a lot of OHL organizations may soon be facing.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Possible but Cali has the size and strength to play for Muskegon (albeit in a limited/sheltered role) next year and I think playing in the USHL next season would be better for his long term development than playing Prep hockey.

Apparently, there are some legs to the rumor of Cali to Muskegon (sorry Soo fans....but still just rumors).

The USHL has made massive gains in terms of recruiting elite players over the past few seasons and it just seems that now the flood gates have opened.

Pretty grievous blow to the Hounds if both Cali and Croskery fail to report...but this is something that a lot of OHL organizations may soon be facing.
with cali i dont worry about the compete/two way stuff, that is there in spades, i worry about how much of a play driver he will be, so personally id want him to go somewhere and drive offense, if its jr b like cowan then great, but it wont be in the ushl. hed get pigeon holed and not play any offensive minutes.

what i will say is the ncaa thing seemed to be what he wanted to do in november/december, i heard he was more ohl in march. i didnt talk to the kid or his agent so i have no idea where he was at at the draft.

DiggityDawg

Dec 6, 2023
If I’m not mistaken, and feel free to correct me if I’m not, but isn’t there something in place if a first or second round pick doesn’t report or sign? I feel there is…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad