Starfield - Bethesda Softworks - Release Date - Sep 6th 2023

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Todd Howard thinks that Starfield was divisive because it was too different than what Bethesda had done before.

Funny because I see it as a slight evolution of the already proven Bethesda formula, just put into a sci-fi setting. That's just a cop out excuse.

Reactions: Osprey

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Funny because I see it as a slight evolution of the already proven Bethesda formula, just put into a sci-fi setting. That's just a cop out excuse.
More like it was divisive because based on the recent beta as well as DLC plans, they release a half finished game.

Reactions: Jovavic

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I am still trying to comprehend the hate for this game, especially after the recent resurgence of Fallout 4 which is literally just a worse Starfield. :laugh:

As for the update, 60 FPS on console is huge though in the patch notes it hints that it is not a completely stable 60. The maps are also a nice visual upgrade though I never had issues getting around before.

I'm not sure how the land vehicle will work, unless the planet tiles get a rework they're small enough that you don't need one and you'll probably hit the boundary pretty quickly when using one. I expect we'll see more on this and the DLC at Xbox's show in June.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I am still trying to comprehend the hate for this game, especially after the recent resurgence of Fallout 4 which is literally just a worse Starfield. :laugh:
I imagine that most of the people who played and were disappointed in Starfield have already played Fallout 4 and it's all of the people who haven't played either that are picking up the latter because of the new show. In other words, people who "hate" Starfield aren't the reason for the spiking Fallout 4 sales, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khelandros

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Doesn't help that the game didn't live up to the absolutely massive hype. It's not a bad game, no, but to the extent that the hype was, yeah, it didn't live up to it.

Also, I don't think it's really hate as it can be viewed as disappointment.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Starfield doesn't have interesting exploration or lore compared to the Fallout games. Maybe that's subjective/debatable but it doesn't have VATS or the kill cam. And it felt like you're walking around boring cities most of the time vs wastelands. So if it's like Fallout, it's without most of the stuff that made the Fallout games good.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

As for the update, 60 FPS on console is huge though in the patch notes it hints that it is not a completely stable 60. The maps are also a nice visual upgrade though I never had issues getting around before.

I'm not sure how the land vehicle will work, unless the planet tiles get a rework they're small enough that you don't need one and you'll probably hit the boundary pretty quickly when using one. I expect we'll see more on this and the DLC at Xbox's show in June.
The hate stems from everything that Bethesda promised not actually being in the game. They gave us 300 planets with 6 actually having anything on them. Everything the Starfield tried to be, No Man's Sky did 100x better. Hopefully Bethesda can get Starfield to what they promised, but it took No Man's Sky like 4 years to hit their stride.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
For a mainline Bethesda RPG it's shocking how forgettable the game was and how little of an impact it's had.

I think they need to do some serious soul-searching while they design the next Elder Scrolls game.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The hate stems from everything that Bethesda promised not actually being in the game. They gave us 300 planets with 6 actually having anything on them. Everything the Starfield tried to be, No Man's Sky did 100x better. Hopefully Bethesda can get Starfield to what they promised, but it took No Man's Sky like 4 years to hit their stride.
Can you give me any specific examples of things that were promised but not in the game? I was following it pretty closely and the only thing I can think of is shortly before launch Pete Hines replied to someone on Twitter saying that you could walk around the entire planet when actually they are segmented. In reality this hasn't factored into my gameplay once.

No Man's Sky and Starfield are only similar games at the surface level.
Starfield doesn't have interesting exploration or lore compared to the Fallout games. Maybe that's subjective/debatable but it doesn't have VATS or the kill cam. And it felt like you're walking around boring cities most of the time vs wastelands. So if it's like Fallout, it's without most of the stuff that made the Fallout games good.
I would argue that Fallout 4 didn't have anything that made the previous Fallout games good either (role playing), instead we got the looting and crafting formula that I found fun in that game and even more so in this one.
Doesn't help that the game didn't live up to the absolutely massive hype. It's not a bad game, no, but to the extent that the hype was, yeah, it didn't live up to it.

Also, I don't think it's really hate as it can be viewed as disappointment.
There are articles being written calling for BGS to abandon the game. The comments of every post they make are filled with people complaining. User reviews are low. I really don't think it's controversial to say that people hate Starfield

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
For a mainline Bethesda RPG it's shocking how forgettable the game was and how little of an impact it's had.

I think they need to do some serious soul-searching while they design the next Elder Scrolls game.
While I think I enjoyed Starfield more than most, I definitely am not really eager to go back to play it again lol. It definitely has issues but I didn't hate a lot of the content. I think part of me enjoyed playing through it the first time so much because it was the first BGS game in over a decade to not have a voiced protagonist and I honestly had no hype for it at all until the week leading up to it.

I think Elder Scrolls is sadly f***ed though. Everybody who worked on that game's worldbuiling (the part people actually love about that series) is gone now, with Kurk Kuhlman, the last important Lore guy left being let go after Starfield's release. BGS needs to hire quality writers and actually push games out faster though - even if it means licensing out IPS to other Microsoft studios. I don't see how their direction the last decade is feasible or smart, its just arrogant tbh.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I would argue that Fallout 4 didn't have anything that made the previous Fallout games good either (role playing), instead we got the looting and crafting formula that I found fun in that game and even more so in this one.
Imma be honest, I still don't get this critique in comparison to Fallout 3. New Vegas of course, but that is a level of player choice/consequence that Bethesda (and most games that aren't straight up isometric crpgs) have never done. In Fallout 3 your choices are really just as limited, at best there are often only two options to deal with things - in New Vegas the options are so numerous I've played that game through 5 times and each time felt like a different game. Fallout 3 and 4 are closer to the Elder Scrolls as one would expect. I agree that the voiced protagonist and crappy dialogue wheel was a mistep (that I'm glad Starfield went away from again)- but I still wouldn't say that necessarily took it out of the rpg category. There are still a lot of different builds and ways to play the game - and a decent amount of choices to make.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Imma be honest, I still don't get this critique in comparison to Fallout 3. New Vegas of course, but that is a level of player choice/consequence that Bethesda (and most games that aren't straight up isometric crpgs) have ever done. In Fallout 3 your choices are really just as limited, at best there are often only two options to deal with things - in New Vegas the options are so numerous I've played that game through 5 times and each time felt like a different game. Fallout 3 and 4 are closer to the Elder Scrolls as one would expect. I agree that the voiced protagonist and crappy dialogue wheel was a mistep (that I'm glad Starfield went away from again)- but I still wouldn't say that necessarily took it out of the rpg category. There are still a lot of different builds and ways to play the game - and a decent amount of choices to make.
Personally I don't consider 3 to be a good game, 4 is much better in my opinion. The only thing I think 3 does better are the dialogue and level up systems. The level up system in Fallout 4 was easily my least favourite part of that game.

Reactions: Turin

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

I don’t hate the game, but I’m just indifferent to it. I was excited for its release, and went in with an open mind and no real expectations. I’ve only ever played Fallout 3 from Bethesda, and that was so long ago I barely remember anything from it.

I enjoyed the game early on, but quickly grew bored. Immersion breaking traversal/travel loading screens. Poor and uninteresting quest design (a lot of fetch quests and unnecessary back and forth travel). Bland characters in general. Low player agency. And just long stretches of nothing interesting happening.

Just my opinion of course. But ultimately, I lost interest and stopped playing, and haven’t had any interest in going back. I think I got like 30 hours in or something like that, and really wanted to stop much sooner than that.

So, not a bad game per se. Just a very forgettable experience from my perspective.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I don’t hate the game, but I’m just indifferent to it. I was excited for its release, and went in with an open mind and no real expectations. I’ve only ever played Fallout 3 from Bethesda, and that was so long ago I barely remember anything from it.

I enjoyed the game early on, but quickly grew bored. Immersion breaking traversal/travel loading screens. Poor and uninteresting quest design (a lot of fetch quests and unnecessary back and forth travel). Bland characters in general. Low player agency. And just long stretches of nothing interesting happening.

Just my opinion of course. But ultimately, I lost interest and stopped playing, and haven’t had any interest in going back. I think I got like 30 hours in or something like that, and really wanted to stop much sooner than that.

So, not a bad game per se. Just a very forgettable experience from my perspective.
It's the most cookie cutter, mid, 6.5 game of all time. Tons of interesting concepts, but nothing really sticks the landing, and the whole is less than the sum of it's parts.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It's the most cookie cutter, mid, 6.5 game of all time. Tons of interesting concepts, but nothing really sticks the landing, and the whole is less than the sum of it's parts.

You nailed it. It just didn’t have that one thing pulling me back in. Everything felt very safe and unnecessarily grindy. And don’t get me started on the inventory management haha!

That’s what I feel is missing from Starfield for me. A hook.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
You nailed it. It just didn’t have that one thing pulling me back in. Everything felt very safe and unnecessarily grindy. And don’t get me started on the inventory management haha!

That’s what I feel is missing from Starfield for me. A hook.

I think it's why if I do play it, it will be when it's on sale and when most of the updates and DLCs have been applied to the game. Especially when it comes to matured mods for the game.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You're on PC, right? Back when I played the game in September, there was already a terrific inventory mod called StarUI Inventory. It was stable and full-featured right from the beginning, since it was a port of the very mature FallUI Inventory mod for Fallout 4. It made inventory management more bearable for me. That, a few other StarUI mods and several mods from other authors definitely reduced my frustration with the game.
I think it's why if I do play it, it will be when it's on sale and when most of the updates and DLCs have been applied to the game. Especially when it comes to matured mods for the game.
As I just alluded to, a number of the best mods are actually pretty mature already because they've been around for the better part of a decade for Fallout 4. At least that's one advantage of Bethesda using an old engine.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
You're on PC, right? Back when I played the game in September, there was already a terrific inventory mod called StarUI Inventory. It was stable and full-featured right from the beginning, since it was a port of the very mature FallUI Inventory mod for Fallout 4. It made inventory management more bearable for me. That, a few other StarUI mods and several mods from other authors definitely reduced my frustration with the game.

As I just alluded to, a number of the best mods are actually pretty mature already because they've been around for the better part of a decade for Fallout 4. At least that's one advantage of Bethesda using an old engine.

I’m on Xbox so no mods for me. That would have been nice to have to cut down on some of the UI and management annoyances.

Even with mods, I wouldn’t play it again at this point.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Oh. My mistake. I saw that you play a lot of cRPGs, which usually means PC, and PC gamers have more complaints about Starfield's inventory, since it's optimized for console and not PC. Oh well.

I do play a lot on my Mac (DOS I and II, Pathfinder., Wasteland 3) and sometimes on NVidia GFN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad