GDT: Stars General Thread '23-24

LT

XXXX - XXX_ - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Pavs could miss a game due to "injury", but he's absolutely not getting healthy scratched.

His 5v5 role got reduced already. Maybe the PP role will too at some point. PDB clearly recognizes he's lost yet another step.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
too much tummy sticks here.

Pavs has done nothing good for awhile now and he’s been in the lineup long enough. Any other player would have been scratched by now. It’s not an easy decision but it’s a decision that has to be made at this point, and it has to be an organizational decision.

The consistent strong play of Dadonov should be enough to move him up with Benn/WJ, and then you play either Faks/Delly over Pavs on that 4th line. Benn/WJ have gone pretty stale since Pavs joined them. Robo/Hintz weren’t getting anything done with Pavs before Stank joined them.

Not to metion, our top PP has been pretty meh. And if it does score, Pavs is a non-factor.

It’s not a coincidence.

That being said, it’s not a decision that needs to be made for next game. But the next loss should spark a very serious discussions to pull the trigger. My opinion at least.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Idk i think Dadonov and Steel together worked really well too. I think keeping that together is just fine. Deboer wants to run 4 lines . Can't do that if one line has more than 1 passenger . 1 you can sort of get away with.

Just double shift someone else in instead of the passenger in crucial shifts and you're good.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
As much as I would like to see him scratched, I don’t see it happening.

Best case, he gets moved to 4th line, which I don’t really like either because the fourth line has played well with any of the 4 regular 4th liners plugged in there. But better to have him there than continue to drag down the WJ or Roope lines.

Just wish something would click and he got his shit together but it looks like time has finally caught up to him.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We thought that for stretches in the regular season too and he would allways find his game even if it was just for a bit. Still holding out some hope there is still juice left in him to still make an impact in this playoff run . Doesn't have to be on a every game or even full games.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Love Pavs but I'm afraid things are going to start falling off of him. Like he's trying to chug when he gets the puck and his arm falls off. Or leg and he falls over.

• Haha
Reactions: redbeardtx

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
100% Pavelski is either hurt, or age has caught up on him or even both, but he's still an important player to this team. I'm sure PDB notices this, and wouldn't be surprised to see Dadonov take some of Pavs shifts if he continues to struggle. It's sad to see him slow down, but it's understandable. Hopefully this motivates the team to play even harder to win for Pavs.

Also, wouldn't shock me to see Pavs score the series clinching goal, or if we make to the finals he'll end up scoring the game 7 OT goal!

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
100% Pavelski is either hurt, or age has caught up on him or even both, but he's still an important player to this team. I'm sure PDB notices this, and wouldn't be surprised to see Dadonov take some of Pavs shifts if he continues to struggle. It's sad to see him slow down, but it's understandable. Hopefully this motivates the team to play even harder to win for Pavs.

Also, wouldn't shock me to see Pavs score the series clinching goal, or if we make to the finals he'll end up scoring the game 7 OT goal!

Even with him being slower idk how he hasn't deflected a puck in just yet. In fact it feels like his deflections in general haven't even been an option for the Stars in these playoffs. They don't just fling the puck towards the net when he's there anymore. That's all our top PP unit used to do

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That is also on the other teams game planning. Maybe those type of plays become more avilable again at some point and Pavs can have more of an impact then.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Real depressing segment on the Hardline today where Bob Sturm read the eulogy for Joe Pavelski. Bob didn't directly say it, but the word is Pavelski started telling folks a couple of months ago this is his last season.

Pavelski finished the season 2nd on the team with 67 points, but he's been absolutely terrible in the playoffs. Zero goals and one assist in ten games. We see he can't keep up at all and is unable to skate with or against anyone. His advanced stats are equally bad. Whatever line he's on suffers. He was taken off the top line to see them do better, but now he's on Johnston's line and is hurting that line.

The reasons I called the segment a sad one is Strum said his Stars sources tell him Pavelski isn't dealing with any injury. This isn't a case of a guy playing hurt. This is just an old guy who looks like he's lost it overnight. And the Stars face the tough choice of deciding how to politely scratch a guy who was absolutely awesome for them in recent years.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

20240513_180816~2.jpg

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Before we go to the scratch conversation, why isn't he playing 10 mins a night. Lets start there.

Coach has given him higher ATOI than the regular season.
The last two games have both gone the other direction. He has 16:03 and 14:58 the last two games against the Avs. His regular season average was 16:49, which itself was a minute less than last season.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Pavs is a leader, and I still believe he'll score a huge goal this playoffs, and the guys are going to give everything they have to win for him. If he feels he has nothing left, he'll sit himself. He's a smart guy and knows what is best for the team

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Pavs is a leader, and I still believe he'll score a huge goal this playoffs, and the guys are going to give everything they have to win for him. If he feels he has nothing left, he'll sit himself. He's a smart guy and knows what is best for the team
Agreed with everything you've said. I trust Pep DeBoer and I trust Pavelski. He's competing and in the mix. He's certainly lost a step but that's fine. He's due for some puck luck at even strength.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
This is why winning game 5 is critical. Pavelski needs the rest. Guys of his age need that time off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad