WC: Team Canada 2024

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
We won. We got challenged. We faced some adversity. I'm sure the players learned some important lessons.

All's well that ends well. :)
Exactly. Such things happen in hockey time to time. Players turn off their legs and mental focus, believe they can just finish the game somehow on autopilot. Then two, three lucky bounces occur in favour of the opponent, and suddenly it is extremely hard to turn the engine on again. The opponent gains the momentum, you have cold legs, you are getting the feeling that everything is going against you. Everybody who was ever doing any sport at any competition level knows such situations.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
The collapse (which wasn’t really a collapse, more of a couple bad bounces and a breakdown or two) made this game way more valuable for the team.

We have two working lines, Mangi-cozens-bunting, PLD-Tavares-Hagel. Would love to see McCann promoted to Bedards line and Guenther moved down.

Reactions: jj cale

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
One of the worst third periods in the countrys history. Embarrassing effort. I have no idea how you don't call a time out or make a goalie change. Also barely used Bedard in the third.

The norway loss last year was bad and served as a wake up call but this was another level of pathetic.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One of the worst third periods in the countrys history. Embarrassing effort. I have no idea how you don't call a time out or make a goalie change. Also barely used Bedard in the third.

The norway loss last year was bad and served as a wake up call but this was another level of pathetic.

Unless it’s in an elimination game, I have a hard time thinking of it as historic.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
There’s a tendency to underestimate the non-traditional European teams when they are always motivated to play Canada and they can always skate skate skate.
^That's it^

We were ahead by 5(?). We'd lost interest and then the other team get some momentum. It would have been kinda cool if we'd lost - and a good lesson.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The posters in the Vancouver / Edmonton Game Thread are so aggressive / defensive. Good Lord.

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The posters in the Vancouver / Edmonton thread are so aggressive. Good Lord.

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice?
You think the international section is negative, it's nothing compared to the NHL club threads on HF.

Every team is getting jobbed by the refs, player X is the worst waste of space they've ever seen ( until they score a goal) and the reason their team is losing is because they've got a shitty coach.

And Canadians aren't nice when it comes to hockey, but it's the same for the American teams fans. A more out of joint bunch I've never seen

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You think the international section is negative, it's nothing compared to the NHL club threads on HF.

Every team is getting jobbed by the refs, player X is the worst waste of space they've ever seen ( until they score a goal) and the reason their team is losing is because they've got a shitty coach.

And Canadians aren't nice when it comes to hockey, but it's the same for the American teams fans. A more out of joint bunch I've never seen
The international posters are good guys - we're lucky because ugliness here is kept to a minimum. :thumbu:

Reactions: Summer Rose

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Unless it’s in an elimination game, I have a hard time thinking of it as historic.
Canada doesn't have many blown 5 goal leads to teams fighting to stay in the top divisions so in a way its historic. Not overly troubling if Canada wins the gold, just like the Norway loss / covid tournament start was a fun footnote for a championship team.

As another poster said, Binnington was probably the most troubling thing to come out of today. Looked like he was playing street hockey.

Reactions: jj cale and NyQuil

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
I remembered a game in which CAN was badly demolished. There were actually 7 in a row and also 5 in one period. That was a black day for Canadian hockey, which, in contrast to the World Championships, played with superstars.

The question is whether there was anything like that again, until yesterday.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I remembered a game in which CAN was badly demolished. There were actually 7 in a row and also 5 in one period. That was a black day for Canadian hockey, which, in contrast to the World Championships, played with superstars.

The question is whether there was anything like that again, until yesterday.
I can remember a game where every team competing here was demolished. Happens to everyone

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Next time maybe just answer more precisely and mention which game it was instead of answering so brashly.
You're in the Canadian team hockey thread, no one is interested in looking up our greatest f*** ups, lol.

You want that, try the Sweden thread, I have no doubt some of the faithful there might be willing to take the time to answer your question.

wolfphil

May 15, 2024
Can someone please check if CAN has ever taken 5 in a row (in same period) and if so when was that?

It is stated in an article from the IIHF website from today,. According to it, the answer is 4 times, the last time 43 years ago. (edit: it does not say 5 in a row though)

Austria’s historic night in perspective

For starters, Canada has played more than 1,600 periods of hockey at the World Championships since 1930. They have surrendered five goals in a period exactly four times, most recently 43 years ago!

The first time came on March 11, 1965, an 8-0 loss to Czechoslovakia. Then, on March 18, 1969, they did same against the Soviets in a 7-1 loss. Fast forward to April 24, 1977, an 11-1 loss to CCCP. And, most recently, to the Soviets again on April 15, 1981.

Greetings from Austria! :)

Reactions: Summer Rose

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Team Canada needs to be investigated for drinking too much alcohol at the pub they supposedly visited before this game. It sure didn't look like all they consumed was just WATER !!!

The team played like they were hung over in that 3rd period. That was an embarrassment to all of Canada IMHO.

The entire management team needs to be banned from ever running this team again.

JMHO.

Last edited:

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Team Canada needs to be investigated for drinking too much alcohol at the pub they supposedly visited before this game. It sure didn't look like all they consumed was just WATER !!!

The team played like they were hung over in that 3rd period. That was an embarrassment to all of Canada IMHO.

The entire management team needs to be banned from ever running this team again.

JMHO.
It's just a game.

Reactions: NyQuil

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

JMHO.
I hope that this is parody.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Canada won Gold after losing their first three round Robin games a couple of years ago, people freaking out because Binnington morphed into a pumpkin for one period should chill out

Reactions: 1Gold Standard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad