Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
Could be a ligament strain that could turn into a full tear if pushed, hence the caution in putting him back in.

This is my guess. Sprained MCL, which technically would not be related to the original injury and can be rehabbed in weeks. Also on tbe side of the knee which would align with the footage of him injuring it too. Have been through this myself. It's weak/awkward and obviously has risk of tearing if not rehab'd correctly, but you can walk etc still.

Reactions: mossey3535

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
A goalie can’t play through a torn ACL lol, I thought you were a physio?

A torn ACL would be absolutely devastating, and unlike a skater there’s decent chance he’d be out all of next season.
Just curious.

Did you read the Bäckström story I wrote here.

In 2004 he won gold for Oulun Kärpät with a torn ACL.

Or like you said "a torn ACL, lol."

Reactions: DiggerDan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Frank Seravelli now saying “sources” say Demko out til at least game 4.

Honestly, wording it that way means these are not Frank’s sources that he has a relationship with or that he’s betted it. Just relaying what he’s heard.

I know others will just take what these people post as gospel but always pay attention to the wording and whether they are putting their reputation on the line or covering their butt in case it’s not correct.

Reactions: theguardianII

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
If I remember correctly, that was the original rumour (that Demko would be out until late in the 2nd round if the Canucks made it that far).

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Honestly, wording it that way means these are not Frank’s sources that he has a relationship with or that he’s betted it. Just relaying what he’s heard.

I know others will just take what these people post as gospel but always pay attention to the wording and whether they are putting their reputation on the line or covering their butt in case it’s not correct.
Smoke and mirrors. Distractions. Demko will likely need surgery but the "hope" he can make a return sells tickets, a few more anyway.
But I still can't see it being a knee if he is on the ice at all. Anyone who has ever had a knee injury knows rest is the only way to recovery. Torn ligaments don't heal by stretching them out, neither do pulled ones. There can't be too many things in the knee that go wrong, ligaments, meniscus, arthritis none of which heal by exercising. But a bad hip can be pain blocked and still functional for a short time. The knee could also be named as a source of pain as the pain can radiate all the way down the leg. Hip injures are called so many other things, sports hernias, back, knee or groins issues. Lower body.
Have you ever heard of a NHL hockey team stating outright the player has a ..... injury. Hand, elbow, shoulder, knee?

Demko would have the most unique knee injury seen, never limps, never uses a crutch or cane, skates in full equipment, what knee injury can that possibly be?

Some cortisone and Lidocaine shots in the right joint can delay what will be required and relieve all pain but not stability. A clean out of the hip joint can be recovered within days 10 to 15 days, then the shots and the need to stretch and work the muscles.

Reactions: F A N

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Smoke and mirrors. Distractions. Demko will likely need surgery but the "hope" he can make a return sells tickets, a few more anyway.
But I still can't see it being a knee if he is on the ice at all. Anyone who has ever had a knee injury knows rest is the only way to recovery. Torn ligaments don't heal by stretching them out, neither do pulled ones. There can't be too many things in the knee that go wrong, ligaments, meniscus, arthritis none of which heal by exercising. But a bad hip can be pain blocked and still functional for a short time. The knee could also be named as a source of pain as the pain can radiate all the way down the leg. Hip injures are called so many other things, sports hernias, back, knee or groins issues. Lower body.
Have you ever heard of a NHL hockey team stating outright the player has a ..... injury. Hand, elbow, shoulder, knee?

Demko would have the most unique knee injury seen, never limps, never uses a crutch or cane, skates in full equipment, what knee injury can that possibly be?

Some cortisone and Lidocaine shots in the right joint can delay what will be required and relieve all pain but not stability. A clean out of the hip joint can be recovered within days 10 to 15 days, then the shots and the need to stretch and work the muscles.
Not sure what the point is for him to be in goalie gear on the ice if he needs surgery. I mean, you want to factor in recovery time post surgery, so we are over 2 weeks since he last played.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not sure what the point is for him to be in goalie gear on the ice if he needs surgery. I mean, you want to factor in recovery time post surgery, so we are over 2 weeks since he last played.
I think what theguardian is saying is that it could be something Demko can play through like a hip injury rather than a knee injury.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think what mossey is saying is that it could be something Demko can play through like a hip injury rather than a knee injury.
If no surgery is needed great news. But, if he just needs to rest, there is no point to rush him back and risk something terrible happening. Just take it slow.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If no surgery is needed great news. But, if he just needs to rest, there is no point to rush him back and risk something terrible happening. Just take it slow.

Oops I meant to say theguardian not mossey.

I think theguardian is saying Demko does need surgery but it's something he can play through.

Reactions: theguardianII

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I thought I heard the radio guys say it was a MCL?

Hurt it doing almost the same thing but my foot got stuck on the net skirt on an overlap. Took about 3-5 weeks, I could walk but definitely not play.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I suspect we can get past the Oilers, incredibly, with Silovs. That of course is still very much up in the air, but early returns are pretty good. We actually have the advantage in net, weirdly, and I would argue that even if Silovs falters, DeSmith is better than anything the Oilers can reasonably throw between the pipes.

That said, I wouldn't love our chances if we made it to the next round if Demko isn't back. Looking like it will probably be Dallas, and they would have a substantial advantage in net over the Canucks if Demko is still out, plus the kind of depth the Oilers can only have feverish dreams about.

I don't like Georgiev for the Avs, and I don't think they are getting past the Stars, but they have a wicked offense that certainly rivals the top Edmonton guys. I think we'd match up better against them, but would still feel way better with Demko.

Reactions: bh53

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I suspect we can get past the Oilers, incredibly, with Silovs. That of course is still very much up in the air, but early returns are pretty good. We actually have the advantage in net, weirdly, and I would argue that even if Silovs falters, DeSmith is better than anything the Oilers can reasonably throw between the pipes.

That said, I wouldn't love our chances if we made it to the next round if Demko isn't back. Looking like it will probably be Dallas, and they would have a substantial advantage in net over the Canucks if Demko is still out, plus the kind of depth the Oilers can only have feverish dreams about.

I don't like Georgiev for the Avs, and I don't think they are getting past the Stars, but they have a wicked offense that certainly rivals the top Edmonton guys. I think we'd match up better against them, but would still feel way better with Demko.

Hockey is a funny thing, I suspected we win in 2011. There is still alot of series to go. These things can change in a moment, maybe they play picard and hes lights out.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Need the Avs to drag it to 7 games but it’s not looking good over there for them

Reactions: ziploc

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2