Speculation: The All-Encompassing Leafs Thread - is this it for the Core 4?

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
what teams would he waive to? also what teams would be interested? Nashville,Hurricanes, and Pittsburgh would be my guess.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
If MM gets a raise(rumored to ask for 12m), that will be a shame to the low earners who doing their job in the Leafs team, and Nylander has earned 3 m less then M.M and shows up in playoffs.

What crackhead of a coach will pay him even 10m. Probably a lottery team who dont care about the cap. He will be pretty cheap för the owners year 1 anyway.

The return will not be steep though för the all Star.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Toronto Sports Networks better start working overtime if they want to convince Marner to waive his NMC. I don’t see it happening.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Toronto Sports Networks better start working overtime if they want to convince Marner to waive his NMC. I don’t see it happening.

The whole Marner NMC is such a tricky thing for the Leafs situation. Real fly in the ointment.

On the one hand, it just seems so miserable to stay there in that hockey mad market when he's clearly being painted as THE scapegoat for a decade of failure and playoff futility. At some point, i think just personally, i'd want out if i were him. But at the same time...he's an Ontario kid. He may still see it as a place he wants to play, and with a talent like Matthews centering him.

Especially if it comes down to his agent in his ear. He's only got one year to UFA. So the Leafs don't have any real room to "bluff" that they'd just let him walk for nothing. And it's hard to imagine a situation where Marner would be able to score more points and up his "value" more than just playing another year with Matthews. It's a weird reverse hostage situation.

But if the Leafs can't apply enough pressure and Marner decides he doesn't want out of the now toxic fishbowl, or they can't find a new destination he'd actually accept a trade to...i'm really not sure what the Leafs can even do to "retool" substantially.

Tavares is completely unmovable. Matthews and Nylander are the guys you want to keep and build around.

It probably just becomes a "new coach" situation. Then once again, continue to churn the roster in the bottom-end with low impact pieces and hope for a better result. But who knows. Finding a way to move Marner and convince him that it's in his own best interest as well is really the key to doing anything meaningful, that won't just look like running it back the same way one more time.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
-Fire Keefe
-Fire Shanahan
-Give Matthews the C
-Let Marner and Tavares expire. Yes, they are completely untradeable. They have full NMC, think where they would accept. Then look at whether that team has the cap space, or any desire to add them. How many teams do you come up with?
-Understand that you have 18 mil to get a goalie, 5 and forward depth
-There is essentially nothing of any trade value left that any reasonable person would move

Best thing the let next year play out, it is what is. Maybe get in as a wild card, maybe miss. Take the year as a reset and come up with a long term plan to build around Knies, Matthews and Nylander.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad