Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Venom seems like it has more marketing options. Like fans throwing fake snakes on the ice on a win, etc.. Also everyone is afraid of snakes.
Also, it doesn't have to be snakes. Utah is a major scorpion state, and they also have venom. And either snakes or scorpions could be a great basis for a logo. Spiders could work as well, but I think scorpions or snakes would be more fun.

Also, imagine a gigantic scorpion mascot. You think Gritty is scary? Make way for nightmare fuel.

Honestly, thinking about the identity as a whole I've come around to Venom.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I think HC is only in their because fans didn't like anything else on the list. So, they begrudgingly put HC as a choice rather than Powder, Freeze or Ice. Thus, HC ended up 6th in popularity.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The plus is Avalanche vs Blizzard is good rivalry right off.
This is a very good point, that rivalry would have some great marketing potential. The problem is that Blizzard would be kind of lame the 77-78 times they don't play the Avalanche.

Like most here, I agree that Outlaws seem like the best choice. The name seems kind of minor leagueish but it would be fitting as an homage to the Old West being in Utah and all. Plus it's a pretty bad ass name.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Outlaws is very clearly the best of the remaining six options. It's not "OMG best team name I've ever heard!" but it's vastly better than the other ones.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Venom seems like it has more marketing options. Like fans throwing fake snakes on the ice on a win, etc.. Also everyone is afraid of snakes.
Who’s to say they’re referring to snake venom? It’s the Beehive state. Are we certain they’re not referring to bee venom?

Reactions: ClydeLee

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
My only problem with Blizzard is that their closest geographic rival will be the Avalanche, and it's thematically a bit too similar for comfort.
We're the NHL. We play on ice. I think we can have more than 1 name with a snow/cold theme.

Baseball has Red Sox/White Sox and Cardinals/Blue Jays/Orioles.

Football has Eagles/Falcons.

The NBA has the Miami Heat. The opposite version of that would be the Utah Cold. Do you have any idea how much that name would get ripped to shreds, and nobody even bats an eye in the NBA.

Reactions: Puckrobber

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Here's a compilation I made of my favorite logos for some of the finalists, utilizing the generic HC logo colors which I would almost guarantee are brought forward to the final design (not that they won't also add a pop of a third or fourth accent color).

Many of the AI concepts are slick but WAY too busy for a hockey sweater or modern logo. I think like @rt has mentioned, if the graphic design/branding company that Smith hired is known for simpler, modern logos - then some of these fit that profile of "would they look clean and clear on a hockey sweater during a game".

I'm also not a fan of logos where it's like "HEY ADD CROSSING HOCKEY STICKS BEHIND THE LOGO SO PEOPLE KNOW IT'S HOCKEY".

Outlaws Logo: By @rt from AI - recolored. I think if they do Outlaws they will lean into something "western" like this as opposed to actually having some hockey-masked "bad guy".

Yeti Logo: From thefaceoff.net - not sure by whom - recolored. Love the incorporation of the "U" and one of the few Yeti logos I have seen where the Yeti isn't some super weird looking, disproportional face.

Mammoth Logo: A concept logo not for Utah but just for a Mammoth-themed team by Thomas Hatfield from Dribble - recolored. Simple, bold, stylish and well-proportioned.

Venom Logo: By @HabsGifs on X (not sure if they created it or were just posting it from elsewhere). One of the few Venom/Viper/Snake themes that doesn't look overly detailed. Slick potential for an interlocking "U & V" secondary here.

pEu4OxV.png

Last edited:

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
Here's a compilation I made of my favorite logos for some of the finalists, utilizing the generic HC logo colors which I would almost guarantee are brought forward to the final design (not that they won't also add a pop of a third or fourth accent color).

Many of the AI concepts are slick but WAY too busy for a hockey sweater or modern logo. I think like @rt has mentioned, if the graphic design/branding company that Smith hired is known for simpler, modern logos - then some of these fit that profile of "would they look clean and clear on a hockey sweater during a game".

I'm also not a fan of logos where it's like "HEY ADD CROSSING HOCKEY STICKS BEHIND THE LOGO SO PEOPLE KNOW IT'S HOCKEY".

Outlaws Logo: By @rt from AI - recolored. I think if they do Outlaws they will lean into something "western" like this as opposed to actually having some hockey-masked "bad guy".

Yeti Logo: From thefaceoff.net - not sure by whom - recolored. Love the incorporation of the "U" and one of the few Yeti logos I have seen where the Yeti isn't some super weird looking, disproportional face.

Mammoth Logo: A concept logo not for Utah but just for a Mammoth-themed team by Thomas Hatfield from Dribble - recolored. Simple, bold, stylish and well-proportioned.

Venom Logo: By @HabsGifs on X (not sure if they created it or were just posting it from elsewhere). One of the few Venom/Viper/Snake themes that doesn't look overly detailed. Slick potential for an interlocking "U & V" secondary here.

pEu4OxV.png
Slick deck, BKarchitect. Nice work laying them out like this with the current color palette.

Out of these 4, I personally would choose the Mammoth. But I’d emphasize more on that animal’s tusks for sure.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
utah flats
utah dunes
utah slayers
utah dusk
utah twilight
utah horde
utah troop
utah troopers
utah combat
utah invaders
utah invasion
utah dusters
utah elephants

f* i don't know

Last edited:

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
I'm down for Venom if they can also get some Marvel/Disney rights.

Screw the snakes, it's all about spiders and symbiotes:

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Yeti and Venom are the ones that seem to have some flow/traction. Personally I lean toward Venom as something that can be more tied back to the real world in whatever direction you choose to take it. Yeti feels like you've just copied Seattle's (somewhat poorly done) homework.

Reactions: Magic Man

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
Not sure if this was shared here. Utah Jazz announced logo/jersey revamps a few days ago.

“Our branding will always be an iterative process as we, our fanbase, and the game of basketball continue to grow," said Ryan Smith, governor of the Utah Jazz. "It’s clear that Mountain Basketball and purple are at the soul of Utah and the Jazz, and we’re excited to share with our community what they have to look forward to.”

Working closely with Doubleday & Cartwright – a highly acclaimed creative consultancy and design studio – the Jazz developed this iteration of Mountain Basketball by studying Utah’s passion for the sport and how the mountains both influence its identity and symbolize a state on the rise”

This may be relevant since it’s been stated that future team branding/colors would parallel the Utah Jazz.

The 2025/2026 -as yet to be named- hockey team may share some of these colors/elements.
Will they utilize a “Mountain Hockey” tagline, too? 🤷🏻‍♂️ If so, which of the six remaining names conjure up “mountain” branding along with these colors? Mammoth? Yeti? Blizzard?
D79F6D2D-F0F6-43E0-9B0B-7E795C9D5E19.jpeg

059E38B9-12BC-4ED9-A09D-0A59C73B551C.jpeg

A few similarities are showing up.
Especially the use of the same “sky blue” and black in both the Jazz and Utah HC recently released logos.
FAD6368A-5C0D-46B6-9063-58F9BCD02856.jpeg
1C96890A-CC1A-4452-AE83-88EE7D11CF4A.jpeg

Last edited:

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I think HC is only in their because fans didn't like anything else on the list. So, they begrudgingly put HC as a choice rather than Powder, Freeze or Ice. Thus, HC ended up 6th in popularity.

I was originally thinking the Washington Football Team name was a joke but I ended up liking it a lot. Its a lot better than Commanders.
Hockey Club will work if they have the balls to stick with it.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

It's a sign of the times. Nobody wants to create negative publicity for an insensitive team name and "HC" is about as neutral as you can get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad