Series Talk: WCQF: Vancouver Canucks vs Nashville Predators (VAN Leads 3-2)

What will be the outcome of the series?

• Canucks in 4

Votes: 30 4.2%
  • Canucks in 5

Votes: 111 15.5%
  • Canucks in 6

Votes: 242 33.9%
  • Canucks in 7

Votes: 84 11.8%
  • Predators in 4

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Predators in 5

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Predators in 6

Votes: 127 17.8%
  • Predators in 7

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Just hearing on Canucks post game radio that Vancouver has only generated 71 shots through 4 games which is a worst in NHL history record, apparently. Wow.
And, weirdly, are 3-1.

It hasn't been an oil painting.

Preds have no business in the playoffs. That winning team we saw in the regular season was completely fraudulent.
Ah, that's the narrative now. Good to know.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The narrative is that they suck and the Canucks are also a much better team, is that not preferred?
I don't like downplaying our opponent, and it also seems to be used as a tactic to downplay the team that is winning. Nashville is really making it hard for the Canucks to generate chances. The Canucks likewise are playing a very steady defensive game, which they have needed to in front of their two backups. I don't think Nashville is a fraud.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
It isn't just hockey and doesn't just come with the territory. It's against the rules. That's why it's a penalty. Stastney was right to expect Joshua to back off because Joshua was required to by the rules. Maybe Stastney could've done something to minimize the hit and avoid injury, but he shouldn't have had to. The onus was on Joshua to do that, as the attacker. Also, a player shouldn't have to "pay the price" for a legal play by having an illegal play dished out on him. I'm surprised that someone would even suggest something like that, let alone condone it. If Hughes, Miller, Boeser or Pettersson is the next to be injured on an illegal hit, will you be as critical of them for not bracing for it and brush the hit off as just playoff hockey?
Yes, I'd say they had made an idiotic mistake, and hope they learned their lesson. Hockey involves an inherent danger and players need to be aware of it. The rules have changed to protect the players and it has mostly been for the good, but putting all of the onus on the aggressor all the time robs the game of part of its essence. He got his two minute penalty. It wasn't malicious. Next time, Stastney will hopefully remember to respect the risk posed by his opponent.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
time to dust off the old cliff ronning reaction shot

1714360740995.gif

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Just hearing on Canucks post game radio that Vancouver has only generated 71 shots through 4 games which is a worst in NHL history record, apparently. Wow.

Canucks have been doing this all season, the top players can score in bunches when properly motivated. They have played like crap multiple times and won games on concentrated scoring.

Not a great model, but playoff win's a playoff win, I guess.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
The Preds are literally diving in front of pucks to block shots though. Their shot-blocking has been insane. That's a major reason why the Canucks' shot totals have been so low. Their shots just aren't getting through. While it's a legitimate and often winning strategy, it does sometimes make for boring hockey.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Stastney expected an aggressive forechecker to back off and defer to his little toe-drag and for Joshua to let him squirm loose rather than get pasted. He paid the price, as he should have. It's hockey, and playoff hockey at that. You need to know how to take a hit from a forechecker on the end boards if you're a defenseman. If that was the best he can do, he'll have a short career. I suspect he'll choose differently next time. Joshua got his penalty - there was nothing particularly malicious in the hit, the guy chose not to protect himself, and he absolutely has an obligation to do so under the circumstances.

The "victim" made an absolutely idiotic play that any hockey player over the age of 12 should know better than to try. You don't turn your back and try to toe drag your way out of an aggressive forecheck on the end boards. What he got comes with the territory. I hope he feels better and can rejoin the series, but get real.
This.

He saw Joshua on him and then did nothing to protect him and hoped that the refs would protect him.

For those of us who played 20 years ago, you would never ever turn into the boards like that because it would be suicide.
Refs used to actually consider that it was partly your responsibility not to put yourself into a bad situation. Not to ignore obvious cheapshots.
But if you saw a guy coming to hit you and turned your back like that, the ref would just wonder why you chose to be so dumb.

I hope he's okay, but the modern game has completely led to players not protecting themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad