GDT: WCSF: Game 4 - Edmonton Oilers vs Vancouver Canucks, 7:30pm, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I never saw one Oiler fan post that. Please quote it.

We're not going to go through everyone's posts, but please don't sit there with a straight face and tell me that there wasn't a substantially large segment (if not majority) of the Oilers fanbase that thought this series would be a cakewalk. And its honestly not just Oilers fans/media, its a substantial amount of outside media too that just totally underestimated the Canucks.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We're not going to go through everyone's posts, but please don't sit there with a straight face and tell me that there wasn't a substantially large segment (if not majority) of the Oilers fanbase that thought this series would be a cakewalk. And its honestly not just Oilers fans/media, its a substantial amount of outside media too that just totally underestimated the Canucks.
Yep. On Sportsnet one of 20 analysts picked the Nucks.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Lot of Nucks fans celebrating a series victory in here lol.
That doesnt speak about the majority, who are in no way thinking/guarunteeing we're winning the series....This season, the Canucks were projected to be a wildcard team /or just missing the playoffs...They had a breakout season...We're the absolute underdog in this series, and really, every extra playoff game, is just gravy.

Its cup or bust for the other team.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
To be fair to Pickard he was pretty good in the AHL the two years before this one and did everything you could ask of a backup this season in 23 games.

But I agree it is a joke that Holland didn’t get a real goalie.
Who would have thought at the start of the season that the Canucks would be battling the Oilers in round two, with the deciding factor being who has the best AHL goalie.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That doesnt speak about the majority, who are in no way thinking we're winning the series....This season, the Canucks were projected to be a wildcard team /or just missing the playoffs...They had a breakout season...We're the absolute underdog in this series, and really, every extra playoff game, is just gravy.

I disagree with underdog.. you are now 6 and 1 against us this season. You finished higher in the standings too.

Put another way... You Nucks have been a pain in my ass all season.lol

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
That doesnt speak about the majority, who are in no way thinking/guarunteeing we're winning the series....This season, the Canucks were projected to be a wildcard team /or just missing the playoffs...They had a breakout season...We're the absolute underdog in this series, and really, every extra playoff game, is just gravy.

Vegas odds still have this series as basically even despite the 2-1 VAN lead, anyone who knows how odds works knows that is pretty wild and implies that the public thinks the Oilers are a clearly superior team. Oilers still a top 4 favourite to win the cup as well lol.

All the pressure is on them.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
To be fair to Pickard he was pretty good in the AHL the two years before this one and did everything you could ask of a backup this season in 23 games.

But I agree it is a joke that Holland didn’t get a real goalie.
Holland kinda cheaped out on goal tending in some of those Detroit years. But this situation with the Oilers is totally indefensible.

Why were so many analysts and insiders high on the Oilers with this kind of goal tending too ?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think most Canucks fans understand we are only half way there in this series, still a long way to go.

Every fan base has all types. Don't forget that many Oilers fans were claiming they would destroy us at the start of the series.

I do have to say that I think you are one of my favorites on this board, I liked your takes in the Hronek threads.

Last edited:

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Why were so many analysts and insiders high on the Oilers with this kind of goal tending too ?

Retaliation on Jim Rutherford for refusing to give them inside info on anything.

Every fan base has all types. Don't forget that many Oilers fans were claiming they would destroy us at the start of the series.

Literally the HF Oil Out of Town thread every Canucks game : The PDO frauds are getting away with it again.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Watching the Oilers futility is like watching the Leafs. Thinking you can outplay your poor defense and goaltending, in the Playoffs, is like thinking that Death isn't inevitable.
Difference being is that Oilers best players are also their best players in the playoffs. The leafs would love to have had the playoff success the Oilers have had the last few years.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I disagree with underdog.. you are now 6 and 1 against us this season. You finished higher in the standings too.

Put another way... You Nucks have been a pain in my ass all season.lol

Have you seen the HFOil out of town thread? Every Canucks game was just full on rageposting about PDO and frauds and shooting percentages.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Totally not true with respect to Oiler fans. Here's the data:

60% of Oiler fans predicted their team to win in 6 or 7 games. They voted with their heart and even the heart did not tell them "cakewalk"
10% of Oiler fans predicted we would lose this series.
Pre-Game Talk: - Oilers vs. Canucks - time to make Vancouver rainier than usual

So an overwhelming 70% majority did not see this as an easy series for us. It's just nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Its far from over. Pride kicks in at some point and McDrai will break through eventually. Can't imagine Oilers lose today.

That said I hope it goes to 4 OTs tonight and McDrai play like 70 mins.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Vegas odds still have this series as basically even despite the 2-1 VAN lead, anyone who knows how odds works knows that is pretty wild and implies that the public thinks the Oilers are a clearly superior team. Oilers still a top 4 favourite to win the cup as well lol.

All the pressure is on them.
After what I've seen, it's hard to see the Oilers as a Cup favorite. Even if they do get through the Canucks.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Totally not true with respect to Oiler fans. Here's the data:

60% of Oiler fans predicted their team to win in 6 or 7 games. They voted with their heart and even the heart did not tell them "cakewalk"
10% of Oiler fans predicted we would lose this series.
Pre-Game Talk: - Oilers vs. Canucks - time to make Vancouver rainier than usual

So an overwhelming 70% majority did not see this as an easy series for us. It's just nonsense to suggest otherwise.
That poll is still open to vote though. I suspect a lot of people voted later.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think most Canucks fans understand we are only half way there in this series, still a long way to go.

I do have to say that I think you are one of my favorites on this board, I liked your takes in the Hronek threads.

Not true, but don't let data get in the way of a little schedenfreude shaming.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

It's cup or bust for every team at this point. Canucks are 2 games away from the WCF, this may be this cores best chance.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I blame the Leafs for all the nastiness between the Canucks and Oilers fan bases. If the Leafs were still in the playoffs, at least 50% of the hatred/trolling/time would be spent on bashing the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad