• Arrive violently.

• Do not go quietly into the night.

• Just win.

Game was a month ago? Fml, I missed the party

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So here is something I wanted to discuss with you lovely people.

Coaching philosophies. I was listening to the Oilers coach, and he was asked multiple times about physicality, hits, intensity, and tenacity.

He was asked if it’s overrated, if it’s not a big indicator, etc.

His answer surprised me. In multiple interviews, he basically said that it’s not a good gauge. Physicality is overblown, and hits especially mean nothing. Go back and listen to three of his last four interviews; he goes in-depth on this.

In contrast, the Canucks coach keeps talking about physicality, intensity, how players have to be strong on the puck, need to hit hard, forecheck hard, and how it’s an incredibly important gauge to see and match teams' intensities or dictate your own.

He said that if you’re playing hard, you’re naturally going to hit more, which usually is a good indicator of how hard you’re working for that specific game.

So my question to you guys is: which style/opinion do you believe in more?
Playoff hockey is a war, not a dance.

A war of attrition, no less.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Whats the report on Pickard?

HIs he athletic or does he have good positioning to the shooter? Scramble or calm?
Athletic, small... Former high 2nd rounder who just never caught fire. He's a fine goalie and has been great for us. But a lot of were screaming for a backup at the TDL just in case this happened.

Much like Ceci.. he is being miscast here.

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
So.....the roster that is being pumped by many in the media as the cup favorite has to play 2 players 30 minutes a night and has resorted to putting a journeyman backup in net. The "two best players in the world" mantra has really distracted many from the large underlying issues with that team. Even if they somehow get out of this round they will be fodder the rest of the way.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Huge game for both teams.
If Van can grab a 3-1 series lead I like their chances even though I’d never count out a team with McDrai.
Having last change in game 5 would be huge though and a chance for the 3rd line to exploit the Ceci/Nurse pairing which is a combined minus 14 this series.
Pretty much my thoughts.. you guys win tonight and we are done. Hoping the Soucy suspension means more cole toi. He's been good for us.

If I were a Nucks fan.. I'd be feeling good right now.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
So.....the roster that is being pumped by many in the media as the cup favorite has to play 2 players 30 minutes a night and has resorted to putting a journeyman backup in net. The "two best players in the world" mantra has really distracted many from the large underlying issues with that team. Even if they somehow get out of this round they will be fodder the rest of the way.

Just you wait, McDavid and Draisaitl won't get off the ice the entire game and they can score more!

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
So here is something I wanted to discuss with you lovely people.

Coaching philosophies. I was listening to the Oilers coach, and he was asked multiple times about physicality, hits, intensity, and tenacity.

He was asked if it’s overrated, if it’s not a big indicator, etc.

His answer surprised me. In multiple interviews, he basically said that it’s not a good gauge. Physicality is overblown, and hits especially mean nothing. Go back and listen to three of his last four interviews; he goes in-depth on this.

In contrast, the Canucks coach keeps talking about physicality, intensity, how players have to be strong on the puck, need to hit hard, forecheck hard, and how it’s an incredibly important gauge to see and match teams' intensities or dictate your own.

He said that if you’re playing hard, you’re naturally going to hit more, which usually is a good indicator of how hard you’re working for that specific game.

So my question to you guys is: which style/opinion do you believe in more?
Both coaches are right. A big hit can rile up a team and separates a player from the puck which can lead to a scoring chance.

Going for a big hit and missing (like Soucy did in game 2) can also lead to a breakaway goal or odd man rush.

It always pisses me off when the oilers don't stand up for their guys but I think the team has taken the approach that unless it's egregious, it's not worth responding to and the pp is more valuable because it's so deadly. It comes down to maturity when you think about it from an objective POV. Soucy's crosscheck was egregious but I don't think many saw it.

The Canucks are a bigger team on the backend and I think they play better when they're physical. It really depends on team makeup too. The Stars, Avs and Oilers will be less focused on physicality while teams like the Canucks, Florida and Bruins really thrive on it.

Reactions: Summer Rose

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Pretty much my thoughts.. you guys win tonight and we are done. Hoping the Soucy suspension means more cole toi. He's been good for us.

If I were a Nucks fan.. I'd be feeling good right now.
the thing i dont like about soucy being suspended is it just means more ice for hughes, i d prefer he didnt play more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad