What do you want from the Jackets' next GM?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well, one person understood that point of my somewhat controversial statement about a female GM. That is, for the first female GM, all media coverage would be about her as a female, not about the substance of the team and how her actions would affect the team. Stories would focus upon how she interact with male GM's, whether her draft picks reflect a female perspective, is that perspective different than a male's, etc. I was not intending to comment upon potential competence as much as the fact that all media would speculate upon her personal status rather than the state of the team.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Same Florida team that we all made fun of their attendance for years ? Amazing how quickly a narrative and perception of a franchise can change when you win in the playoffs … Reading your post , logically it may make sense .. but people develop relationships / life experiences .. you never know what makes a person tick .. plus they would have been offering an expanded role
I'm sure people also remember the empty Igloo and the Penguins almost moving to Kansas City. Then Lemieux saves them, Crosby, Fleury and Malkin arrive and its suddenly a different story.

Winning fixes just about everything. let's not pretend Pittsburgh is as desirable of a city as Ft. Lauderdale.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Well, one person understood that point of my somewhat controversial statement about a female GM. That is, for the first female GM, all media coverage would be about her as a female, not about the substance of the team and how her actions would affect the team. Stories would focus upon how she interact with male GM's, whether her draft picks reflect a female perspective, is that perspective different than a male's, etc. I was not intending to comment upon potential competence as much as the fact that all media would speculate upon her personal status rather than the state of the team.

So in this scenario you'd quit being a fan of the team because of how the media covers it? Odd.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think he would have found a team willing to pay more than Columbus if he wanted to leave Florida. It’s not like we are going to win a bidding war with any team except the stingiest owners in the NHL. But he has a great situation in Florida so I don’t think he was looking to leave at this point in time. Win a Cup and he could name his price with an O6 or big market team.

Let us not have the false narrative out there that we were ever close to having Zito come here.
It’s not just about money. It’s about connections. We gave Zito his in to the NHL as an executive. He has to feel some amount of gratitude for that.

Do I think he was ever close to coming here or even close to considering it? No. But do I think we flirted with him and maybe he was open to it? Yes. There’s no other explanation to him getting an extension and promotion at the time he did

Zito doesn’t matter anymore and we can look by him.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I got what you are saying … we aren’t in a position to take the risk .. there’s really no to little track record of success in major pro sports to cite. The cbj franchise is at a cross roads, they have to get this hire right .. we just saw Arizona move .. eventually fans give up if your franchise consistently loses….

People have opinions .. some feel there is more respect given to those who played in the league.. because they have a better understanding of the players , like an instant credibility thing .

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
If there are women who have equivalent qualifications to male candidates, they should in theory be given equal consideration, and there is no inherent risk involved. If their qualifications are the same, then that is the end of it. Just my two cents.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Sunday Dispatch suggests that CBJ can 'make history" by hiring the first female GM. I am sorry, but if they do this, I am done as a fan. I mean no disrepect women, but I am tired of the the CBJ as a kind of carnival freak show.
castonguay is absolutely one of the better candidates (AGM in an org that had a major turnaround this season, has experience as an agent, etc) if they are looking to hire an up-and-coming, new-school GM rather than a dinosaur. which, imo, they should.

i'll also go one further and say, regardless of who the GM is, that if they fire the coaching staff (god i hope so) that nadine muzzerall should be on their shortlist.

you say hiring women would be a 'carnival freak show' – i say hiring the best woman available for the job instead of the 50th best man is good business and taking advantage of a market inefficiency.

Reactions: Viqsi and CBJx614

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
MacFarland was credited with doing a lot of the work to build that loaded roster while Sakic was the GM.
i'm fine with any number of GM hires but if this saga doesn't end with macfarland replacing john davidson as the president of hockey ops, i'll be disappointed.

maybe that's my problem for buying into the speculation and getting my hopes up, but they clearly need a new voice atop the department and macfarland would be a clear upgrade.

pairing macfarland with a new school up-and-coming GM from an org that has found success (whether that's tulsky, darche, castonguay, etc) seems like the best approach.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
To give EDM the benefit of the doubt, I suspect he meant that it would cause a "carnival freak show" in terms of media attention, not that Castonguay herself would be a freakshow, but it is a very inelegant way of saying that. There were definitely better ways to word it, and I actually don't disagree with the general sentiment. This franchise has been under a microscope for over a year, constantly finding ways to make itself the subject of negative attention and brunt of jokes. The next GM hire has to be perfect, and I don't know that any of the up-and-coming women fit that description yet in their careers. I hate to say it, but the Jackets need a quiet few years, and no matter how good Castonguay or Granato might be, hiring one of them guarantees that the media will not be a quiet.

I was only a nominal fan in 2013, so I'm not sure what kind of freakout there was when Columbus hired the NHL's first Euro GM. Was it a bit of a frenzy then?

Reactions: Viqsi

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
My current faith in JD .. the Babcock situation .. if they hire Hunter , it’s with the plan he’s a stop gap that would step into JDs position as he retires , and they are biding time to get Rick Nash ready for the GM role . Fair or unfair .. that’s my faith in this front office . I’m not saying Nash can’t be a good gm in a couple years .. but that the whole move is made with that being the plan … Is that me being Paranoid ?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My current faith in JD .. the Babcock situation .. if they hire Hunter , it’s with the plan he’s a stop gap that would step into JDs position as he retires , and they are biding time to get Rick Nash ready for the GM role . Fair or unfair .. that’s my faith in this front office . I’m not saying Nash can’t be a good gm in a couple years .. but that the whole move is made with that being the plan … Is that me being Paranoid ?
Not sure what the plan is with Nash but if what you're saying here is you don't have faith in JD to get this right, I can sympathize.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I would want to see Nadine Muzerall be an assistant coach or the Monsters' head coach first. Same with David Carle.
Seems lke a logical next step. She's a fantastic coach. I know they brought her in for development camp last summer and seemed to get rave reviews from everyone there.

Reactions: Monk

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I really don't care about the gender, sexual orientation, color, religion...or anything else. If CBJ is hiring for any other reason than to get the best option for this franchise, they should be chastised. Hiring for publicity would be an atrocious misstep. Hiring because someone earns the job... bingo. Just get someone in here with a new vision, new plan and someone that can execute said plan/vision. That's it from me on this topic. Are you qualified? Yes or No... period.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Hiring for publicity would be an atrocious misstep.
Are you qualified? Yes or No... period.
therein lies the problem that any "first woman to ______" faces, though.

the blue jackets could conclude, decisively, that castonguay is the best candidate for GM, or that muzzerall is the best candidate for head coach. but there will still be a horde of barstool bros in oakley wrap-around shades who can't read a children's book without moving their lips causing a ruckus because the jackets had the audacity to consider a woman for the role.

the truth is that any woman who warrants consideration for this type of role has to be overqualified – not just because of the systemic biases in the industry, but because they have to be emphatically 'worth the headache' that the worst people out there would inevitably cause.

i know the "idc if they hire a woman, as long as she's qualified!" stuff comes from a good place, but it still implies that there would be a question of whether or not the first woman GM would have actually earned it, when in reality they will likely be absurdly overqualified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad