What is the team's biggest roadblock to make the playoffs next season?

What needs to improve the most or is the biggest roadblock?

• Continuous improvement of the special teams

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • Improved secondary scoring

Votes: 98 46.9%
  • Defense and ability to defend a lead

Votes: 49 23.4%
  • Division

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Coaching staff

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • More success in OT/SO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 on 5 play

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 28 13.4%

• Total voters

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I went with defence. I’d say Habs had at the very least average goaltending but still finished 6th worst in goals against. This is IMO an indictment of how bad that defence was. They just cannot allow this much goals if they want to succeed. The D would need to be way better for the Habs to really have a chance at making the playoffs

Secondary scoring would help but honestly Dach + Newhook together on a line with Roy or Armia is a more than fine 2nd line for a team that finished 5th worst the year prior. The 3rd line will probably be terrible though with Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher or something. The 4th line is not much of a priority considering everything else. The 3rd line could be upgraded; I would have liked Dakota Joshua as a UFA bottom 6 veteran with size, but with the playoffs he's having dude is going to get paid. Also Anderson is still here, Gallagher should regress and so could Armia. We really have to hope Roy will be a good top 6 player next season and that top 6 would honestly be more than enough for a basement dweller

At D, we'd have to hope for a quantic leap in D from Matheson, Xhekaj, Strubble, Harris (if he's still here), for Hutson not to be too much of a burden at 5v5 right from the start and the same with Mailloux. That or Montembault-Primeau play like Jennings tendies

Reactions: Sorinth

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I went with defence. I’d say Habs had at the very least average goaltending but still finished 6th worst in goals against. This is IMO an indictment of how bad that defence was. They just cannot allow this much goals if they want to succeed. The D would need to be way better for the Habs to really have a chance at making the playoffs

Secondary scoring would help but honestly Dach + Newhook together on a line with Roy or Armia is a more than fine 2nd line for a team that finished 5th worst the year prior. The 3rd line will probably be terrible though with Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher or something. The 4th line is not much of a priority considering everything else. The 3rd line could be upgraded; I would have liked Dakota Joshua as a UFA bottom 6 veteran with size, but with the playoffs he's having dude is going to get paid. Also Anderson is still here, Gallagher should regress and so could Armia. We really have to hope Roy will be a good top 6 player next season and that top 6 would honestly be more than enough for a basement dweller

At D, we'd have to hope for a quantic leap in D from Xhekaj, Strubble, Harris (if he's still here), for Hutson not to be too much of a burden at 5v5 right from the start and the same with Mailloux. That or Montembault-Primeau play like Jennings tendies
Yeah the team needs to both score more goals and give up less. Spend more time in the offensive zone helps with both of those things and frankly could be done by adding either a F or a D. We have probably have more immediate reason for optimism on the F side, a healthy Dach, a full year of Slaf in beast mode, Caufield re-finding his goal scoring, potentially Roy as well. So defence is probably the biggest area we could improve on, but it's also an area where it probably makes sense to kind of wait and see because how Guhle, Xhekaj, Barron, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux all develop will go a long way in determing if/what the holes actually are.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Yeah the team needs to both score more goals and give up less. Spend more time in the offensive zone helps with both of those things and frankly could be done by adding either a F or a D. We have probably have more immediate reason for optimism on the F side, a healthy Dach, a full year of Slaf in beast mode, Caufield re-finding his goal scoring, potentially Roy as well. So defence is probably the biggest area we could improve on, but it's also an area where it probably makes sense to kind of wait and see because how Guhle, Xhekaj, Barron, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux all develop will go a long way in determing if/what the holes actually are.

It's probably because of the age and draft pedigree, but I feel like the top 6 is much, much more of a sure thing than the defence when it comes to the younger players. Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach and Newhook are all already parts of a decent to pretty solid top 6 with Roy on the way to join them. Then, we'll very likely get a blue chip prospect forward (I think it'll be Lindstrom but that's another discussion) to add to this already pretty safe core at forward

When we look at the defence however... I don't know. On the plus side, Guhle is already a nice top4 LD and could even become a 1st pair dman. Reinbacher I'm pretty confident will become a 1st pair RD, just not in the next two/three seasons. While Hutson, Barron and Mailloux may display impressive offence abilities, they are not a sure bet at all to be net positives at 5v5. Strubble and Xhekaj look like they'll be good 3rd pair dmen with lot of jam which I like. It feels to me like an awful lot of the future of this team rely on Reinbacher and Hutson with no plan B

I just think that the D will be middling at best for the next 3 years while Suzuki, who very likely will be the best center on the Hughes rebuild, waste some of his prime years

The Habs path to success is for the Suzuki and Dach lines to become utterly dominant possession wise to shelter that weakish defence with some strong and stable(TM) goaltending to limit the innevitable lapses

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Guhle has missed 50 games the past two years. Dach has missed 104.
50 is still a lot. Doesn’t have to exactly match Dach to be a cause for concern.

Plus, has concussion issues, unlike Dach.

Point stands. We need the guy to play a full season. Good to see him keep going at the Worlds, he needs the playing time after a mostly lost season.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
50 is still a lot. Doesn’t have to exactly match Dach to be a cause for concern.

Plus, has concussion issues, unlike Dach.

Point stands. We need the guy to play a full season. Good to see him keep going at the Worlds, he needs the playing time after a mostly lost season.

He played 70 games this season and Suzuki's pretty much the only player who hasn't had injury issues over the last 3 seasons.

Concern is fair, but I don't get the concern unless there's information that has been made public I'm not aware of.

There's a lot more I'd be more concerned about tbh

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He played 70 games this season and Suzuki's pretty much the only player who hasn't had injury issues over the last 3 seasons.

Concern is fair, but I don't get the concern unless there's information that has been made public I'm not aware of.

There's a lot more I'd be more concerned about tbh
We don’t have access to his medical records, obviously, otherwise, a different word than “concern” might be more appropriate.

There are multiple concussions but don’t know the extent of each or their exact number — missed games is the only unquestionable number and there are a lot for such a young player. Saving grace is how most of those missed games came in his first year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Biggest road block is the other teams in the Atlantic combined with our age/development/transition challenges.

scoring on the 2nd and 3rd lines

A healthy Dach should help the 2nd line. Not sure who's going to be our 3rd line center this coming season. One of Evans or Dvorak but hard to know if we move Dvorak or not.

Not sure I like the idea of Newhook as a full time center.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's probably because of the age and draft pedigree, but I feel like the top 6 is much, much more of a sure thing than the defence when it comes to the younger players. Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach and Newhook are all already parts of a decent to pretty solid top 6 with Roy on the way to join them. Then, we'll very likely get a blue chip prospect forward (I think it'll be Lindstrom but that's another discussion) to add to this already pretty safe core at forward

When we look at the defence however... I don't know. On the plus side, Guhle is already a nice top4 LD and could even become a 1st pair dman. Reinbacher I'm pretty confident will become a 1st pair RD, just not in the next two/three seasons. While Hutson, Barron and Mailloux may display impressive offence abilities, they are not a sure bet at all to be net positives at 5v5. Strubble and Xhekaj look like they'll be good 3rd pair dmen with lot of jam which I like. It feels to me like an awful lot of the future of this team rely on Reinbacher and Hutson with no plan B

I just think that the D will be middling at best for the next 3 years while Suzuki, who very likely will be the best center on the Hughes rebuild, waste some of his prime years

The Habs path to success is for the Suzuki and Dach lines to become utterly dominant possession wise to shelter that weakish defence with some strong and stable(TM) goaltending to limit the innevitable lapses
Mostly agree though I think I'm overall more optimistic about the D then you. The real conundrum is what to do about it?

Like I can agree that the D will probably remain a weak point over the next few years because integrating Hutson, Reinbacher, and Mailloux is going to lead to defensive lapses and breakdowns which is a normal/expected part of adjusting to the NHL. But I'm not sure trying to fix that right away by getting an established D or upgrading Savard is the right thing to do either. Plan B probably should be give it some time and then once you get a better idea of how everyone looks with 100-200 games and then decide on a vet D to sign/trade for that becomes a good fit.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Mostly agree though I think I'm overall more optimistic about the D then you. The real conundrum is what to do about it?

Like I can agree that the D will probably remain a weak point over the next few years because integrating Hutson, Reinbacher, and Mailloux is going to lead to defensive lapses and breakdowns which is a normal/expected part of adjusting to the NHL. But I'm not sure trying to fix that right away by getting an established D or upgrading Savard is the right thing to do either. Plan B probably should be give it some time and then once you get a better idea of how everyone looks with 100-200 games and then decide on a vet D to sign/trade for that becomes a good fit.

Yeah I agree on the last part, no need to rush to get a veteran D or something. I just think that if the rebuild fails, it will probably because of the defence. A good defence is a team whole thing and can be pretty volatile though. Look at the Canucks who revamped their D in a year

I agree with focusing on the offence with the pick and a potential trade of the Winnipeg 1st + Colorado 2nd to get another young forward

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You forgot the obvious answer the rest of the league.

If next year shapes up the way this year did with teams like Philly, Washington, and Pittsburgh in the mix, I think montreal has a chance next year with better health and a little step.

This year, the east didn't present roadblocks at the lower end of the playoffs, but rather it was giving playoff spots to whoever wanted them.

Even this year, yhe Habs were right in the thick of it until about January despite the loss of dach early on. I would not count on a playoff spot this year, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad