What would an all-time best on best tournament look like?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Mikhailov-Petrov-Kharlamov
Makarov-Larionov-Krutov
Ovechkin-Fedorov-Firsov
Kucherov-Datsyuk-Malkin

- Only 12 spots, many players have strong cases like Bure, Bobrov, Kovalchuk, Maltsev, Yakushev, Panarin, etc.
- Larionov is an interesting case. You could make a case for others to make instead of him (especially considering that I have 5 natural centers) but there is also a case of him being underrated. I honestly believe that his role on the Green Unit actually held him back a little. I’m of opinion that Soviet system had their centers be more defensive-minded, hence why Makarov and Krutov had more accolades. Plus there was also Fetisov, Larionov would stay back to let Slava attack (something that also makes Kasatonov underrated imo).

Fetisov-Kasatonov
Vasiliev-Zubov
Sologubov-Gonchar
Konstantinov-Markov

-imo, both Gonchar and Zubov are a bit underrated. Their reputations of offense-only carried throughout their careers despite the fact that they became significantly better players in their own zones later. Their resumes are very impressive both in regular season and playoffs. Zubov’s reputation has improved a bit, but not Gonchar. Just listen to what Crosby and Malkin have said about Gonchar, he was absolutely a huge part of those Pens teams’ success (including in his own zone).
-Sologubov is an interesting case. I understand, that was the dawn of European hockey, but pretty much everyone that has seen him played has came away raving about his all-around excellence including North American people. I also feel that there is a bias against Euro players that came before the 1972 SS, as if that was the first generation that produced top tier players. I don’t know if I agree.
-Less names to choose from, but there were still players that have a case. Lutchenko, Ragulin, Davydov, etc also have good cases.

Tretiak
Vasilevsky
Bobrovsky

-Bob vs Vasy is an interesting duel. We can compare hardware or playoff performances or consistency. Vasy’s rings give him an edge imo. Next two are probably Nabokov and Khabibullin, just not enough to enter top 3. Varlamov and Bryzgalov both had Vezina-worthy peaks, but it didn’t last long. Shestyorkin has some work to do. Kovalenko is probably the next best out of pre-90s players, but also not enough for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad