Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
People are really getting worked up by Richardson's comments. I don't actually disagree with him either. You do need both to win in the current NHL. A guy like EJ Emery for example definitely fits that mold on the D side of things and they can get him later.
I’m based in Montreal and Habs media interpret that as if it’s a foregone conclusion that the Hawks are drafting Lev. That and their assumption that the Hawks are much thinner on prospects at defense. Their dream of drafting Demidov at 5 is very alive (in their mind).

Richardson’s comments might just be his preference, or bait to see if Anaheim would make an unreal offer for #2.

Reactions: bwana63

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
As if him being maxed out physically would be a problem lol. He’s already a man and physically developed.

Between the ears is the problem for me and most others
You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself and most of the others here. The rest feel free to lump into that category, myself excluded of course.😉

Reactions: TLEH

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I’m based in Montreal and Habs media interpret that as if it’s a foregone conclusion that the Hawks are drafting Lev. That and their assumption that the Hawks are much thinner on prospects at defense. Their dream of drafting Demidov at 5 is very alive (in their mind).

Richardson’s comments might just be his preference, or bait to see if Anaheim would make an unreal offer for #2.
The Hawks are much thinner at skilled forward prospects than defense prospects. The Hawks arguably have four potential 2D candidates, one of whom likely already is one (Vlasic). The question is whether one develops into a 1D. Aside from Bedard, there are no other definitive high end forwards, with 1-3 prospects possibly top six candidates if they max out their potential.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
The Hawks are much thinner at skilled forward prospects than defense prospects. The Hawks arguably have four potential 2D candidates, one of whom likely already is one (Vlasic). The question is whether one develops into a 1D. Aside from Bedard, there are no other definitive high end forwards, with 1-3 prospects possibly top six candidates if they max out their potential.

This is how I see it as well.

Need more elite forward prospects.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021

Montreal is pretty deep on D for the future , I wonder how you compare to Blackhawks ?

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

Im from Montreal too and yes click and bait articles told things that not happening. It looks like it rolls from Montreal to the multiverse. In general, well-educated readers will remember that Richardson was a coach in Montreal and has nothing to do with scouting.

Then, what put some smoke screen it more the fact that GM management put some efforts to overlook some dmen... and even in Montreal. The reason why Montreal fans would like Demidov is more because is the only forward outisde Celibrini considered a lock for the top 5. There no consensus about Lindstrom - Iggy - Helenius and the silly Sennecke bandwagon.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

Interesting. Luke reveals (from 5:40) what kind of players Hawks are looking from the draft. Sounds like big and mobile D who can defend and move the puck. Sam Dickinson anyone?

If you look at the teams left in the playoffs, 95% of the defensemen playing are 6’0” and above. The only guy under 6 foot is Fox, which is a player you make an exception for and want on your team

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Montreal is pretty deep on D for the future , I wonder how you compare to Blackhawks ?
Montreal does have lots depth at defensive prospects. They do have a major problem though.

The two guys ranked the highest in Hutson and Mailloux, are both atrocious defensively. The Hawks are trying to build a defense capable of playing actual defense.

Vlasic, EDM and Allan are already really good defenders in their own rights. Korchinski and Rinzel need work. So the Habs defense as a whole might have more offensive upside, but I think the Hawks will be better defenders.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Montreal does have lots depth at defensive prospects. They do have a major problem though.

The two guys ranked the highest in Hutson and Mailloux, are both atrocious defensively. The Hawks are trying to build a defense capable of playing actual defense.

Vlasic, EDM and Allan are already really good defenders in their own rights. Korchinski and Rinzel need work. So the Habs defense as a whole might have more offensive upside, but I think the Hawks will be better defenders.
Yes i agree , I think people really overlook the Black hawks young D (the Rodney Dangerfield of talent pools) I feel like Del Mastro and Kaiser could really be special . Still waiting on Phillips, he has the tools , just has to put it all together .

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Yes i agree , I think people really overlook the Black hawks young D (the Rodney Dangerfield of talent pools) I feel like Del Mastro and Kaiser could really be special . Still waiting on Phillips, he has the tools , just has to put it all together .
I completely forgot about Kaiser, but I like him too.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
I know all that and agree! I’m a die hard Hawks fan, I just happen to live in Montreal and sharing what I see from the local media.

I’m on the Hawks side!

Reactions: Paul Allen

Chicago1948

May 31, 2023
If Lev was a LD instead of a RD he would not be rated nearly as high. Nobody gives a crap which hand you shoot with as a forward but since there is a shortage of right shot D., he is over valued. Demidov, if healthy, is the pick. A PPG guy is way rarer than a 6’2 dman. Give me the potential of more goals, more assists and now we are on th right path.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
A near ppg freshman D at any side with size and willingness to hit is still going to be hyped. I don't get the if he wasn't RD claims.

The only knocks are a guy with 2 years NA play, has poor defensive awareness. That's a sell at ld or rd

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Levshunov jumped three levels in three years... three... and more than held his own. Does he have questions? Sure, especially the hockey sense, but that's the type of kid you gamble on because he continues to get better and defy the odds. He's been in 3 different systems as well. I don't want him at 2 and I like him more than most, but if the Hawks pick him, I hope they leave him in college another year. I would not be surprised if he's thought of differently.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If were Levshunov were left handed, I think at most he'd be one or two spots below where his consensus currently is. Which in this year's draft where 10 players are all in the same tier, is pretty meaningless.

The reality is a freshman defenseman producing this much in their draft year is going to generate hype. And yes, Zeev Buium did that too and isn't as hyped as Levshunov, but Buium has speed and strength concerns so that's why he's generally rated lower.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
It just makes so much sense that Davidson is gonna trade up to try to get Yakemchuk. Toolsy and right handed, seems like a potential faller as I’ve seen some other players rising.

Which is always weird since everyone’s season is already over lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malaka

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
It just makes so much sense that Davidson is gonna trade up to try to get Yakemchuk. Toolsy and right handed, seems like a potential taller as I’ve seen some other players rising.

Which is always weird since everyone’s season is already over lol.
Started to get that hunch after hearing Constantino saying he believes Hawks will try to move back into top 10

He seems exactly what they would target in that range if we go with Demidov

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I do not think KD will trade down for Yakemchuk....Better to keep #2...Take Lindstrom and trade up with #18+Reichel for Yakemchuk and a future 2nd or maybe #18for #10 and taking a bad contract..I see a trade back up to get Yakemchuk not coating us the#2...which our biggest Need is a Big Power Speedy Physical 2C with 1C ability down the line and moving Brdardvin future to wing if he does not improve on defense and faceoffs ...Lindstrom is a unicorn forcis amongst a sea of smalk forwards we have accumulated excepting Colton Dach and Gavin Hayes who may only be 3rdvliners anyway...not a 2C that bug and fast and perfume with a greatcshot who was dominating thexWHL when he got injuredand missed thec2nd half..

You must realize thatLindstrom projectedcto 98 points ...I doubt Denidov would tear up the WHL at a better pace than that ...surecyou look at Demidov's 1.65 ppg reg .season ..but everyone keeps posting how the MHL is not the same level of juniors than the WHL OHL or tte QMJHL...but even if you insist it is,He woukd only have had a better full season pace of 1.65ppg to 1.43 ppg for Lindstrom ...and you can say Demidov upped his reg .season pace to 2 pints a game in pkayoffs...however you fail to notice that prior to injury Lindstrom was on a 12 game points strak scoring 21 points including 13 goals in that upped pace..He was getting even Better.

Just project "prototypical" Big Center size speed andcscorobg ability in 1 package WITH physicality and an edge in stylebofbpkay..At 6"4 maybev6'5 on sone listibgsxandc216 lbs now..you are crazy to pass thisvup forca dangker (albeit creative) like Demidov.. a very goidctalent...butvwe know smaller skilk can get lost in playoffs.. (Panarinwgerexarecyou?)

Sorry you cannot give up a #2 overall prize like Lindstrom ..that type of unicorn in this draft..

Plus Demidov is just average in straight line speed ...where heviscgreatviscpuckhandling/dangling..that may get stymied by quality dmen in the NHL...so not sure he can get any better skilk than he already has.

But Lindstrom can get better..Can get even stronger where it improves an already strong physical domination of the junior level.. He coukd be playing at nearx230 lbs I future.. Could bevan unstoppable physical force dominating even the Men's game in the Show.

Denidiv is exciting but that can be stopped by bigger physical and goidxskating nhl pros..But physicality +speed that Lindstrom has ia a locomotive that is hard to stop.

The only issue with Lindstrom should be his medical and physio reourts which alk 32 teams will get access to..unless there is a red flag in thecreports and if they indicate he will soon be back to 10O% ,you woukd be insane to pass on such a textbook desired Big power Center prize at your doorstep..You do not get such a chance to grab this potentially dominant guy in the middle, that often..If all well healthwise,you are crazy to pass on such a unicorn prize.
You do not trade this down for Yakemchuk and another pick.

You prove the point by suggesting they trade Demidov down for Yakemchuk and another 1st which I could see IF there were no unicorn Big scoring goid defending center like Lindstrom available at #2...but Lindstrom is available at #2..You cannot justify trading that down.

Thus Lindstrom has far greater "value" that Demidov ..

Woukdvyoubtrade Barkov for Panarin? Great Big Centersxarevmorevvaluedvthatvsmaljer skilked wingers...Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad