Player Discussion William Nylander

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Amazing how years back he held out for more money and most people thought he was an overpaid baby. Turns out of the core 5 (incl Rielly), he's actually the most consistent performer.

It has been quite the turnaround. Time has shown he’s got the combo of breakaway speed, zone entry and shot that no one else on the team possess.

Last edited:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Even if they both missed him, and for sure Marner did initially - this is game 7 OT - you don't disconnect the controller like that.. what if there was a rebound or scramble after the initial play?

You gotta move your legs and get in the play.
C'mon.

If Willy chases him down, and the puck gets freed tovthe point, then it's job too?

A) Samsonov has to come out and play that. The whole play is in front of him.

B) The D. has to close that off.

C) Pasta skated right by Marner. He was watching Lindholm shoot it in which should be a nothing play.

D) Nylander is the last guy responsible for Pasta.

Srupid discussion

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
C'mon.

If Willy chases him down, and the puck gets freed tovthe point, then it's job too?

C) Pasta skated right by Marner. He was watching Lindholm shoot it in which should be a nothing play.

Srupid discussion

marnerites getting desperate now, grasping at straws

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
C'mon.

Srupid discussion

Late to the party replying on this one and you're welcome to share in the group think around here that Nylander is some kind of playoff performer.. but that body language says a LOT considering the situation.

It has nothing to do with the blame on that play - where there is plenty to go around as you said (mostly Rielly tbh) - again I know it goes against the scapegoat groupthink here now where everything in the world is Marner's fault.

Stupid straw man.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Late to the party replying on this one and you're welcome to share in the group think around here that Nylander is some kind of playoff performer.. but that body language says a LOT considering the situation.

It has nothing to do with the blame on that play - where there is plenty to go around as you said (mostly Rielly tbh) - again I know it goes against the scapegoat groupthink here now where everything in the world is Marner's fault.

Stupid straw man.
Nylander is definately a frustrating player.

On one hand he finds a way to score in big moments. On the other, he just seems to not care to come back and play in his own end sometimes.

Like I said, I don't really think it was Marner's fault. He was clearly looking at Lindholm and once Pasta picked up speed he was never going to catch him.

Just a well executed play by Bos thst probably works only half thectime

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

On one hand he finds a way to score in big moments. On the other, he just seems to not care to come back and play in his own end sometimes.

Like I said, I don't really think it was Marner's fault. He was clearly looking at Lindholm and once Pasta picked up speed he was never going to catch him.

It wasn’t Keefe’s fault either but after 5 years change was needed. After 8 years, the core change is needed.
There is way too much it’s his fault, no, it’s his fault etc. Something always goes wrong with this core as a group.

Like Ferraro said, if there are 8 out of 10 ways to win, the Leafs will find the 2 that lose.
That’s why big change is needed. It’s permeated in the core and team.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021

Every big point producer does this though. Watch how many times even McDavid half asses a back check. Kucherov makes so many defensive blunders.

2 forwards who consistently back check in the playoffs are Matthews and Marner. Matthews a bit more pronounced because he actually tracks the player down and ices them out along the boards. But Marner is real good in his own right so I'm not too angry about the OT goal. Nobody is 100% perfect.

Nylander isn't a big time 2-way forward but we're actually a better team overall when he's allowed to be biased towards offense. People are going to remain disappointed if theyre holding out for the defensive break through. Its never coming, however the overall game impact from Nylander is huge because of how he dictates the entire ice with his skating and stick handling. I like to focus on "game impact" instead of breaking it down into offense versus defence. It's good enough to keep us top 6 in the East even if we lose one of the 3 amigos (theoretically speaking)

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Matthews is of course better overall, But we want Matthews to score, contribute at almost same rate as in the regular season. We absolutly dont expect it. But we expect Nylander to.

In this core at this stage i belive Nylander would be a better C then Tavares, and it would maby humble Matthews to not get the C.

That said i dont think Nylander want the C or should have it. I hope they bring in someone new, that will change the culture at the core.

Accept no whining about things u cant change, and no whining about things u can change, just change them. Still talk about things that is realy shitty, just to vetilate, private, on ice, off ice stuff, as in a healthy family. It strenghtens the group. But be proffesional as hell before and after games. Should be common sense.

Matthews aint C material, yet. Could be in the future
They really need someone come into that dressing room and take over the music with authority.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It wasn’t Keefe’s fault either but after 5 years change was needed. After 8 years, the core change is needed.
There is way too much it’s his fault, no, it’s his fault etc. Something always goes wrong with this core as a group.

Like Ferraro said, if there are 8 out of 10 ways to win, the Leafs will find the 2 that lose.

The Ferraro quote is spot on. 100% accurate. That's what shit management does to a team. They just focus on hiring their brother in law or cousins and bloating the organization. Have a million voices in a room so nobody can formulate a direction.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024

As many leafs radio guys said the past week, change should had been made after either the Columbus series or definitely after the loss to Habs. But the thinking was give them another chance, and it's covid years. So ignore those weird years as not normal course of business.

Yet they kept the same core strategy with a revolving door of signings refill gaps over and over again though it's the core thats the problem in both performance and salary hogging.

2024 season just ended for leafs and the biggest change they've made is firing Keefe a few days ago. Thats it.

How Shanahan still has a job after all this who the hell knows. They probably kept him because it would look even worse if they cleaned house including Shanny. So scrub the team clean bit by bit than doing a mass overhaul at once.

Last edited:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Ferraro was dead on that day.

They simply find ways to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad