Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Starting with players not returning or making the club aside from the OAs obvious ones I mean,Struthers,Toms and Zhugin for sure,Smith more then likely,Winegard unless he improves his skating and Greenwell good possibility they both could be moved on.
Pertaining to additions,starting with goaltending I see Costanzo and Froggett as the 2,though Costanzo needs to have a bounce back year otherwise I see him moved.
Altiman turns 19 at the start of the year,don't see him on Windsor's radar,too small at 5'9" which might be generous re his height, and Jake Windbiel and Michael Newlove in the mix can see all 4 seeing action with Newlove playing B in La Salle and Windbiel playing in the US because he can't play B in Ontario unless he was 18 or older, and both of them would compete against Froggett next season.
On the D,I see Manzo making the squad at 17,hopefully they pick a Euro dman in the upcoming draft and with the 3rd selection overall better get a good one and I prefer a dman to be the 3rd OA on this year's team,a Mancini like dman works great for me.
As for Lavigne and Hjelholt I see them being 8,9 or 10 on the list if a Euro and an OA fill the spots beside Christoforo, Eichler, Walton and Woodall,plus Manzo.
Youngsters such as Carter Hart,and American Drake Gram both 16 year olds could challenge and make things interesting
Upfront my lines would be
Abraham-Greentree-Belchetz
Morneau-Spellacy-Davis
Nesbitt-Gaymes-Outwater
Martin-Gardner-Gignac

Lemieiux-Butt,Brocklehurst, Morin,Greenwell
Morgan would battle for 2 spots,ages for those guys are 16,17,16,17,19,19
Now the last 2 spots on the 1st 12 forwards listed would be impacted should Windsor take a Euro forward and they bring in an OA forward,I am against doing both,prefer help on the backend and I like the potential upfront regardless.
Still need a actual coaching staff that knows what they r doing..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If the choice is between Lemieux, Brocklehurst, Greenwell, or Morgan for two spots... you go Lemieux and Brock without thinking twice. Otherwise, we're kind of in the same spot as this past season.

Still need a actual coaching staff that knows what they r doing..

Coaches will be sorted out in due time. Unless you'd rather have them rush it?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If the choice is between Lemieux, Brocklehurst, Greenwell, or Morgan for two spots... you go Lemieux and Brock without thinking twice. Otherwise, we're kind of in the same spot as this past season.

Cheapest shouldn't be a issue hopefully...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Davis-Abraham-Greentree

Morneau-Spellacy-Belchetz

JC Lemieux-Nesbitt-Outwater

x-Martin-x

Greenwell/Garden/Brocklehurst/Gaymes/O/A coming in/the import pick for the final 2/3 spots?

#3 overall Import? - Cristoforo

Woodall-Walton

Manzo/Winegard - Eichler

Hicks as extra D?

Lot of shit still up in the air. Would be nice to get an O/A on defence but only have so many spots. Guys like Winegard and Greenwell are expendable to be honest and I won’t be surprised to see if they’re not brought back. Outwater is another question mark.

Costanzo

Froggert

Newlove
Putting it all in proper format. You get a better idea of how huge the hill is to climb back to being a top tier team. Every team will tout their top 08s and be in the lineup. Morneau wasn't that great last year and possibly holding an OA slot with either him or Outwater being top 6. Their OAs this year most likely won't be as good as last year. This is a long rebuild.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Remember if Windsor aside from Belchetz, keeps 2nd rounder Carter Hart,2nd rounder JC Lemieiux, they can only roster 1 more 16 year old,so if Ethan Gardner signs and plays here, that means that Brocklehurst would have to play in Jr B,can sign here but not rostered,same goes for any of the other 16 year olds drafted,can only roster 4,but sign as many as u want.
Could see up to 5 or 6 of them if they show well,Belchetz, Lemieux, Carter,Garden, Brocklehurst,Gram and Windbiel,totalling 1G,2D,4F.
Things might get interesting and personally I hope it does lol.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Oh, I'm aware, just stating that I'd rather have two youngsters in the depth positions rather than two veterans who shouldn't really be in the OHL.
I agree would rather have younger players as depth players to fill roster spots for the most part.
Just like to add that 17 year old winger Julian Gignac continues his fine play with Lakeshore Canadiens as he scored the winning goal in the 3rd period,with Lakeshore winning 3-2 to take a 2-1 lead in the Schmalz Cup.
He also took 1st star honours in the game.

Reactions: punch1943

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Remember if Windsor aside from Belchetz, keeps 2nd rounder Carter Hart,2nd rounder JC Lemieiux, they can only roster 1 more 16 year old,so if Ethan Gardner signs and plays here, that means that Brocklehurst would have to play in Jr B,can sign here but not rostered,same goes for any of the other 16 year olds drafted,can only roster 4,but sign as many as u want.
Could see up to 5 or 6 of them if they show well,Belchetz, Lemieux, Carter,Garden, Brocklehurst,Gram and Windbiel,totalling 1G,2D,4F.
Things might get interesting and personally I hope it does lol.
HL,

Please clarify a rule.

Bowler stated that they can roster the 4 16yos. He stated the first 2 drafted and 2 wildcards.

The Spits drafted 2 2nd rounders. Is the rule as Bowler stated or is it 1st and 2nd round picks. That would give the Spits only 1 wildcard.

Thanks.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022

rumour down this way is Greg Walters making his return to the OHL in Windsor

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
rumour down this way is Greg Walters making his return to the OHL in Windsor
Not sure what to think. Walters did good work in Oshawa. 19-20 interruption but they weren't close to Ottawa that year.

He had Owen Sound and they played well against Windsor but otherwise middling results. We don't have to go deep into him being suspended. Needless to say others would shy away but with this and Newbury it's interesting Bowler will take huge risks in that but it doesn't seem he has much of a plan. I can imagine prospects would want transparency in regards to suspension though.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Not sure what to think. Walters did good work in Oshawa. 19-20 interruption but they weren't close to Ottawa that year.

He had Owen Sound and they played well against Windsor but otherwise middling results. We don't have to go deep into him being suspended. Needless to say others would shy away but with this and Newbury it's interesting Bowler will take huge risks in that but it doesn't seem he has much of a plan. I can imagine prospects would want transparency in regards to suspension though.
I'm guessing Bowler will talk about it.
Lots of communication..
Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad