Shanahan lives in New York?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Shanahan I believe moved back to nyc full time last year. Prior to last season they were living in Toronto full time and I know this for a fact. Doubt he’s the only one in the NHL doing this.
He also spends most of his summer on Lake Muskoka at their cottage, after school finishes, with his mom and wife .. I talk to Brian occasionally now but a lot more years ago when he tutored my 2 boys in math .. friends from da hood who played/fought lacrosse all day and night after St Leo's .. those were crazy times on hillside .. very few get out of da hood and most through hockey

• Haha
Reactions: al secord

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
He also spends most of his summer on Lake Muskoka at their cottage, after school finishes, with his mom and wife .. I talk to Brian occasionally now but a lot more years ago when he tutored my 2 boys in math .. friends from da hood who played/fought lacrosse all day and night after St Leo's .. those were crazy times on hillside .. very few get out of da hood and most through hockey
I once ate pancakes with Prince and the Revolution

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I seem to be one of the few who is surprised to learn this (was it reported by someone else earlier that I missed?)

It is, of course, possible to commute between Toronto and New York (plane ride to Billy Bishop is under an hour) and obviously we live in a world of Zoom where remote work is common.

It still doesn't sit right with me. You are the President of the Toronto Maple Leafs. You should live in Toronto. Period.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I seem to be one of the few who is surprised to learn this (was it reported by someone else earlier that I missed?)

It is, of course, possible to commute between Toronto and New York (plane ride to Billy Bishop is under an hour) and obviously we live in a world of Zoom where remote work is common.

It still doesn't sit right with me. You are the President of the Toronto Maple Leafs. You should live in Toronto. Period.
there are all sorts of legal/financial and other reasons.

You don't know what he has set up as a trust, or as company/holding company. You don't know how his tax situation is, etc.

He may need to live in the States, or suffer sever consequences.

Given that, I am surprised he does not do what others have, live just over the border in Buffalo.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006

Yeah, of all the positions within the org, maybe outside stuff like Community Manager etc., you'd think the President would be living in, and feel like a part of, the city.

Board members don't care, GM in the offseason don't care, but President it does seem surprising.

That sort of goes for most organizations that are location-specific I think, if you told me the President of the Toronto Children's Hospital lives in New York, that would feel weird as well, or that President of the Golden State Warriors lived in San Antonio, again weird.

It's not earth-shattering news, but it does feel a bit off somehow.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I get that the last 8 years have been super frustrating in many ways, with lots of missteps, so it's pile-on time.

But let's also remember where this franchise was in the 10 years before Shanahan.

We might not have climbed the mountain but at least we're not wandering in the wilderness.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Shanny can obviously work remotely on the role, but the optics of it aren't particularly great given the spike in fan disgruntlement

Would be curious if this had any impact on the decline with his relationship with Dubas. Interpersonal relations are harder to manage over zoom/teams chats imo

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Shanny can obviously work remotely on the role, but the optics of it aren't particularly great given the spike in fan disgruntlement

Would be curious if this had any impact on the decline with his relationship with Dubas. Interpersonal relations are harder to manage over zoom/teams chats imo
Dubas wanted to trade a core player
Shanny vetoed it and dubas wanted more autonomy
Can't blame him .every ody but shanny gets fired

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I once ate pancakes with Prince and the Revolution

Lol I’m not gonna act like I know Brendan very well. I’ve met him a few times through coaching and he was always nice to chat with. Coached against his daughters team and would chat with him here and there in between games. Nothing more than that

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dubas wanted to trade a core player
Shanny vetoed it and dubas wanted more autonomy
Can't blame him .every ody but shanny gets fired

I don’t know if we can retroactively say Dubas was going to move off a core guy. Dubas himself commented on being scared to lose a core player trade in the past and the oddball thing he did once he got to Pittsburgh was trade for Erik Karlsson. Something he was looking at for the Leafs.

In an offseason where Pierre-Luc Dubois was the biggest player to be traded. Ehh, I’m not seeing how Dubas was going to pull off the Marner trade last year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don’t know if we can retroactively say Dubas was going to move off a core guy. Dubas himself commented on being scared to lose a core player trade in the past and the oddball thing he did once he got to Pittsburgh was trade for Erik Karlsson. Something he was looking at for the Leafs.

In an offseason where Pierre-Luc Dubois was the biggest player to be traded. Ehh, I’m not seeing how Dubas was going to pull off the Marner trade last year.
I thought the fallout was based on the chain of command and reporting structure. I don’t remember anything definitive either on trading a core piece. We heard rumours of some “major” trade in the works but who knows without confirmation.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I for one would make it a prerequisite for the president of my company to live within driving distance of said company. Don't care if you can do the job from a different country, there will be a time when if is inconvenient for the president not to be in the same room as all of his employees, even if that only happens once a year.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
He cant be dedicated in another city? If he lived in Ajax, Pickering, Belleville would he be dedicated?
When we look back at this shit team and this shit era we will no doubt think that Shanny was dedicated to letting a rookie GM/coach do their thing while he's conducting his vision from.another country.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought the fallout was based on the chain of command and reporting structure. I don’t remember anything definitive either on trading a core piece. We heard rumours of some “major” trade in the works but who knows without confirmation.

Yeah, Dubas was attempting to engineer a palace coup by isolating Shanahan out of the MLSE reporting structure... by citing technocratic inefficiencies yada yada. He played this up publicly out of step with the rest of Leafs management and created a will he or won't he return negotiating stance after a successful trade deadline (and one series win). Ever the seasoned operator, Shanahan pulled the trigger first and relieved him of his duties.

Doesn't confirm any kind of substantive philosophical difference for roster construction though.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
there are all sorts of legal/financial and other reasons.

You don't know what he has set up as a trust, or as company/holding company. You don't know how his tax situation is, etc.

He may need to live in the States, or suffer sever consequences.

Given that, I am surprised he does not do what others have, live just over the border in Buffalo.
I'm sure Shanahan became a US taxpayer years ago. He probably has to continue living there for tax purposes. Who cares where he lives.

Reactions: bax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad