Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, I really think Rod's brand of possession hockey has been solved by the better defensive coaches.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah, I really think Rod's brand of possession hockey has been solved by the better defensive coaches.
Maybe a little bit but Rod's failure isn't coming down to his scheme. The Canes don't have a whole lot of high end talent minus Aho. Rod's issue is the fact he's peddling a team on par with any of those 2010's NYR teams. More or less it is a bunch of dudes who can bleed, grind and score 20. But he doesn't have a Lundqvist to go God mode and steal a bunch of games the team has no business winning. Once Freddy let that squeaker go by the game was over. "Henrik would never" so to speak.

More recently I know the Avs and especially the VGK have said "What goaltending?" since Fleury left. But the VGK also field some ridiculous $120 million team every single playoff run and it would be the equivalent of the Canes pulling some nonsense like miraculously having Reinhart and Forsberg playing for them too. To be honest that might be what they need to do.

And I'm sure the VGK are asking themselves how to get both Crosby and Karlsson once Stone is inevitably injured again 2 weeks before the TDL and for the rest of the season

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think they'll get it done with Rod or anyone else. I think they've underperformed a lot, but they've also been insanely overrated for a team that has guys like Aho and Svechnikov as their leading forwards.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't think they'll get it done with Rod or anyone else. I think they've underperformed a lot, but they've also been insanely overrated for a team that has guys like Aho and Svechnikov as their leading forwards.
Only three metro teams had positive goal differentials. NYR, CAR, and (barely) PIT.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Maybe a little bit but Rod's failure isn't coming down to his scheme. The Canes don't have a whole lot of high end talent minus Aho. Rod's issue is the fact he's peddling a team on par with any of those 2010's NYR teams. More or less it is a bunch of dudes who can bleed, grind and score 20. But he doesn't have a Lundqvist to go God mode and steal a bunch of games the team has no business winning. Once Freddy let that squeaker go by the game was over. "Henrik would never" so to speak.

More recently I know the Avs and especially the VGK have said "What goaltending?" since Fleury left. But the VGK also field some ridiculous $120 million team every single playoff run and it would be the equivalent of the Canes pulling some nonsense like miraculously having Reinhart and Forsberg playing for them too. To be honest that might be what they need to do.

And I'm sure the VGK are asking themselves how to get both Crosby and Karlsson once Stone is inevitably injured again 2 weeks before the TDL and for the rest of the season
I think the scheme is what makes them overrated. They can outshoot their opponents every night, but as we saw when we played them, most of the shots are harmless against a good structure. So they wind up being a good regular season team that cant beat teams built for playoff hockey.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think the scheme is what makes them overrated. They can outshoot their opponents every night, but as we saw when we played them, most of the shots are harmless against a good structure. So they wind up being a good regular season team that cant beat teams built for playoff hockey.
I know that there was some criticism a few months ago online about man-to-man defense not being suitable for the playoffs.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Analytics gurus have been splooging over them for almost a decade now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You're right. That's what I mean. A lot of it is situational and just comes down to IQ and shot selection. But that's where the talent factor comes in. Throw the kitchen sink at them defensively and they're helpless exactly like the NYR were vs the Kings. Big guys who can hit The Canes shoot as often as the Lightning should be but can't move the puck nearly as well. What makes the Panthers so dangerous is they're as heavy as the Canes but have the skill necessary to break down a good structure. The Canes are FAR from where they need to be and to be honest they look something like I expect from Detroit in about 2 years but not even as good in the regular season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad