2024 Draft Thread

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
The problem with D is its so rare that a D comes up and is actually effective while on their ELC. Its happening right now with Harley but its definitely very rare. With a D pick if they dont turn into a stud top pair D it isnt really worth it. Problem is you dont get those stud top pair Ds unless its through the draft. If they turn out to be second or third pair, you can find that in FA pretty easily and probably better to have the experienced guy. ELC forwards are very effective for scoring depth and a lot better to have in the pipeline when you are a contending team looking for effective salary savings.

Reactions: arso40

horner

May 22, 2007
2020 NHL draft

I wanted us to trade back and get Schneider and an extra late 2nd rd pk

Guhle
Lohrei 58 overall is going to be better than Guhle or Schneider.
Why wasn't he drafted in the 1st rd.

We drafted
Armiov
Hirvonen 59 overall
Niemela 64 overall

Why did Lohrei get drafted so low he looks like he is going to be a stud for Boston
He wasn't even listed on some 3 rd mock drafts ?

Dubas seemed to concentrate on Europe in this draft

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
The problem with D is its so rare that a D comes up and is actually effective while on their ELC. Its happening right now with Harley but its definitely very rare. With a D pick if they dont turn into a stud top pair D it isnt really worth it. Problem is you dont get those stud top pair Ds unless its through the draft. If they turn out to be second or third pair, you can find that in FA pretty easily and probably better to have the experienced guy. ELC forwards are very effective for scoring depth and a lot better to have in the pipeline when you are a contending team looking for effective salary savings.
I think this is the draft to uncover a future top 4 dman.
We need to somehow trade unto the 2nd rd .
Hopefully a mid 2nd rd pk
There's alot of D

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Dubas seemed to concentrate on Europe in this draft

This was the covid year.

I always figured they focused on Europeans that year because those guys didn't lose any playing time. North America was shut down and OHL lost a season. So the thinking was these guys didn't get the development like the players in Europe did.

So the focus that year was on players that would, theoretically, be NHL ready sooner.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
So since a big problem is our lack of top pair quality D, and they're really hard to get through free agency, are you saying it's a risk to draft one in the first round, but worthwhile to give it a try?

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
This was the covid year.

I always figured they focused on Europeans that year because those guys didn't lose any playing time. North America was shut down and OHL lost a season. So the thinking was these guys didn't get the development like the players in Europe did.

So the focus that year was on players that would, theoretically, be NHL ready sooner.
They had played most of the 19-20 season when it was cut short in March.

20-21 WHL had a limited 'developmental' season with no playoffs, the Q had a partial season with best-of-5 in all playoff rounds except the final, and the OHL was cancelled entirely.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
They had played most of the 19-20 season when it was cut short in March.

20-21 WHL had a limited 'developmental' season with no playoffs, the Q had a partial season with best-of-5 in all playoff rounds except the final, and the OHL was cancelled entirely.

I remember now: this was the draft Dubas took all those little guys.

It reminded me of a research paper I read once. It said the best way to increase your odds of finding a "late round gem" was by drafting small skilled scoring forwards from Europe with your late round picks. Dubas had 12 picks that year including six in the last two rounds.

Clearly Dubas read the same paper.

I remember dismissing the results. Because they said something like you could increase the odds of finding a star in the late rounds by 300% if you followed their formula. But 300% of next to nothing is still f*** all.

If, big if, Dubas even thought about that fact it still didn't stop him from drafting all those little guys.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad