2024 Draft

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
hey Calgary fans. What could be a trade good for both team for the 5th pick oa (MTL) vs the 9th?
Montreal clearly draft Tij Iginla if both of Lindstrom and Demidov are already claimed.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
hey Calgary fans. What could be a trade good for both team for the 5th pick oa (MTL) vs the 9th?
Montreal clearly draft Tij Iginla if both of Lindstrom and Demidov are already claimed.
I mean, take Iginla. It would be a very poor move to trade up. Very likely we get a similar, or better prospect at #9 that we would at #5 (especially if Iginla jumps up).

Assuming Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Silayev, and in this case Iginla are the first 6 picks, Flames will have one of Catton, Helenius, Buium, Dickinson fall into their lap. That difference is not worth anything to move up, IMO.

To answer your question, I don’t think there is any deal that would be “good” for Calgary to move up. The only way I consider it is if you know Buium will be gone by #9 (I think he’s that good).

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I mean, take Iginla. It would be a very poor move to trade up. Very likely we get a similar, or better prospect at #9 that we would at #5 (especially if Iginla jumps up).

Assuming Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Silayev, and in this case Iginla are the first 6 picks, Flames will have one of Catton, Helenius, Buium, Dickinson fall into their lap. That difference is not worth anything to move up, IMO.

To answer your question, I don’t think there is any deal that would be “good” for Calgary to move up. The only way I consider it is if you know Buium will be gone by #9 (I think he’s that good).
I think, Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Buium, Dickinson and Silayev are going to be off the board.
So yeah, Catton, Helenius, Parekh, Eiserman, Sennecke are going to be availlable. I would pick Catton in that case, But I prefer Iginla to all these guys.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I think, Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Buium, Dickinson and Silayev are going to be off the board.
So yeah, Catton, Helenius, Parekh, Eiserman, Sennecke are going to be availlable. I would pick Catton in that case, But I prefer Iginla to all these guys.

Iginla can be a preference, but he certainly hasn't separated himself from many of those kids, and if he has, it's nowhere close to the degree in which would justify Montreal's asking price to move down (likely Van 1st). In order to trade significant assets to move up you'd have to identify a talent available that is in a tier of their own. Iginla isn't that player in this draft... and I'd say Demidov is the only one worthy of having that conversation about.

Calgary has needs at every position. I actually think 9th is quite a comfy spot to be in this draft. Let the other teams make the "hard' decisions, and take the BPA. It really should be that simple. I hope Conroy and co. don't overthink things because of the name on the back of the jersey.

Reactions: User1996

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Iginla can be a preference, but he certainly hasn't separated himself from many of those kids, and if he has, it's nowhere close to the degree in which would justify Montreal's asking price to move down (likely Van 1st). In order to trade significant assets to move up you'd have to identify a talent available that is in a tier of their own. Iginla isn't that player in this draft... and I'd say Demidov is the only one worthy of having that conversation about.

Calgary has needs at every position. I actually think 9th is quite a comfy spot to be in this draft. Let the other teams make the "hard' decisions, and take the BPA. It really should be that simple. I hope Conroy and co. don't overthink things because of the name on the back of the jersey.
Agreed. I saw someone say that “there’s a 90% chance that the player picked at 3 will have a worse or similar career than the guy picked at 9”, and I think that’s a fairly accurate way to describe this draft. There’s nobody who has separated themselves all that much in that tier.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

This This This

Why does every Montreal fan want to try and extort us in taking Tij?
We'll get a very good prospect at 9 regardless of who goes before us.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
This This This

Why does every Montreal fan want to try and extort us in taking Tij?
We'll get a very good prospect at 9 regardless of who goes before us.
Because there is an history with the Flames and Tij father’s. Then, Montreal need a forward and we expect Demidov and Lindstrom been claimed in front of us. Theres is a lot rumours that Montreal
Managemement likes Tij Iginla and the match seem great. He has a sucessfull year in the WHL and he is one of the youngest player.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d probably move Mangiapane to move up to 5. But that would be for Demidov or Lindstrom.

I’d much rather move up from Van’s pick to try and snag one of Jiricek or Connelly

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Because there is an history with the Flames and Tij father’s. Then, Montreal need a forward and we expect Demidov and Lindstrom been claimed in front of us. Theres is a lot rumours that Montreal
Managemement likes Tij Iginla and the match seem great. He has a sucessfull year in the WHL and he is one of the youngest player.
Why don’t you guys just get on board with taking Iginla, then? Genuine question if he’s such a great fit, I’d think you’d be ecstatic to take him?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

You guys can take him if you want him or leave him if you don't. We're not paying you so that we can have him.

He'll never be what his dad was for this franchise/city and if he goes somewhere else we'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad