2024 Men's World Championship Thread - Dahlin, Cozens, Byram, Power, Peterka, Olofsson

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
One thing that I have seen in this tourney, is Cozens has been very good in the "Tage" spot on the PP. Maybe a PP2 of Power up top with Cozens on that left wall is a good start. Let Dahlin and Tage take PP1 with Tuch/Benson/Peterka

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
1. Cozens came off a great showing at the WC the last time with a great 30+ goal season.
2. Peterka came off a great showing at the WC including being player of the tournament by being our leading goal scorer.
3. Ruff has already mentioned Cozens by name as someone who he plans on relying on next season and you know he's going to coach him up.
4. Cozens was upset at the end of the season about both his game and his teams and he's taking it out on the other teams in the WC.
5. Cozens got his ass kicked in an early season fight and never really recovered for months.

I'm not pumping any brakes. This is a huge confidence booster for Cozens and shows how much he can bring when he's healthy and feeling it. They are using him in every situation and he is excelling. He's the best player on Team Canada and that's on a roster of stars.

I mean, if you’re suggesting that this performance signals another 70ish point performance from Cozens in a freer offensive scheme, sure, I won’t disagree with you. Anything more than that would surprise me, *especially* if he outperforms the other marquee players on the roster to the same degree.

This tournament, with his surrounding talent and opponent level, doesn’t require him to be precise and aware in the way that he’s got to develop to take another step forward in the NHL. I hope Ruff can do that but this scoring streak won’t be the reason if he does.

E: I’m also a Peterka stan but his relative goal scoring is partly an indictment of the team performance. Hoping to see another step from him as well.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I mean, if you’re suggesting that this performance signals another 70ish point performance from Cozens in a freer offensive scheme, sure, I won’t disagree with you. Anything more than that would surprise me, *especially* if he outperforms the other marquee players on the roster to the same degree.

This tournament, with his surrounding talent and opponent level, doesn’t require him to be precise and aware in the way that he’s got to develop to take another step forward in the NHL. I hope Ruff can do that but this scoring streak won’t be the reason if he does.

E: I’m also a Peterka stan but his relative goal scoring is partly an indictment of the team performance. Hoping to see another step from him as well.

JJ was T-19th in the league in ES goals. His offensive breakout last season is nothing to sneeze at. If the Sabres had been running a passable PP, his overall numbers certainly would’ve gotten a boost from that.

Reactions: Dingo44

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
JJ was T-19th in the league in ES goals. His offensive breakout last season is nothing to sneeze at. If the Sabres had been running a passable PP, his overall numbers certainly would’ve gotten a boost from that.
Sure, he’s a good player and it should be no surprise (also given the bunching at that tier I think it’s more fair to just say he’s a good ES scorer than use a numerical ranking). With that said, if you’re going into 23-24 saying that the Sabres’ leading scorer will have 29 goals, that’s a bit less impressive than the previous year, yeah?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Those developing wingers in 2022 were the clear line drivers for Cozens…as evidenced by what happened when Quinn was taken away.

I’m glad he can be an effective center against countries full of non NHL players. It’s a start. Though I can’t speak to how well he’s even playing. Canada has had more rough nights than good ones. He has that shooting percentage way up on goalies that probably aren’t NHL stars though. And that’s what people seem to equate with being a good player.

He did play wing opening night with Tavares at center. And last WC that he lit up was entirely at wing.
Peterka and Quinn were not effective line drivers IMO. Not that we have enough data on Quinn. But I'm also talking about Benson, who also wasn't a line driver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad