2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

BHawks77

Mar 22, 2023
Demidov doesn't have an "unreal ceiling".

You're getting someone that, best case scenario, turns into a Clayton Keller level player.

I get it. You're excited we have the 2nd overall pick. But it's not an exceptional draft class.

Its not like there is sure fire superstar that Hawks could draft with 2OA. But Demidov sure has potetial to be good prospect. His skills and IQ are really good and he works hard without shying away from contact. Also if Demidov can be a PPG player like Keller that is good thing.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
at this point you add as many game changers as possible and then trade or sign for what you are missing. If they veiw Demidov as PPG wing you take him. Maybe he does not fit on bedards line. that is fine. you need to 2 great lines to win in the playoffs.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Demidov is Keller but Silayev is Chara, got it.
The potential is there for Silayev because he's a unicorn prospect. Doesn't mean he'll reach his potential.
Its not like there is sure fire superstar that Hawks could draft with 2OA. But Demidov sure has potetial to be good prospect. His skills and IQ are really good and he works hard without shying away from contact. Also if Demidov can be a PPG player like Keller that is good thing.
I agree with you. I'm not saying otherwise.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Silayev is not going to be Chara. If his ceiling was Chara he would be the number 1 pick.

There has been 3 towering Franchise D in the history of the game. Pronger, Chara and Hedman.

Pronger and Hedman were tagged as franchise Dman in their draft year. They also had the offensive potential as teenagers. Chara came out of no where but it took him almost 8 years post draft to max his potential. He was good for 40-50 points and was a beast in his own end. Silayev doesn't have the same offense as those 3. Don't use the "projection" card either. If he's not showing it, he's not showing it.

Silayev can become anything from Jamie Oleksiak to Tyler Myers if he hits. He could also be Zadorov.

If we had the 8th pick I wouldn't mind gambling on him in hopes he becomes Tyler Myers. But I'm not drafting him in the top 5. Not enough offensive potential to justify going that high.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
If Demitov is dratted #2, 'm heavily favoring Elick with #20 and wouldn't opposed to move up to the late first round to get Letourneau depending on the cost. Top skill guy to play with Bedard, right handed D man who skates, is physical and has a big shot and a big Center prospect......fills a lot of needs, folks!

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You're getting someone that, best case scenario, turns into a Clayton Keller level player.

giphy.gif

Keller last two seasons in Arizona while being the focal point of offense and playing with limited talent around him

22-23 = 37 goals + 49 assists for 86 pts in 82 games
23-24 = 33 goals + 43 assists for 76 pts in 78 games

Hawks brass will be very pleased to add a talent like this at #2

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
giphy.gif

Keller last two seasons in Arizona while being the focal point of offense and playing with limited talent around him

22-23 = 37 goals + 49 assists for 86 pts in 82 games
23-24 = 33 goals + 43 assists for 76 pts in 78 games

Hawks brass will be very pleased to add a talent like this at #2
I didn't say it was a problem.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Demidov doesn't have an "unreal ceiling".

I get it. You're excited we have the 2nd overall pick. But it's not an exceptional draft class.
From all the scouting and prospect info I've read and video I've watched , you and Corey Pronman are the only ones that don't see an unreal ceiling . I've seen Kane , Kucherov , Datsyuk and Kaprizov. Keller might be his floor is closer to accurate.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Pronman and wheeler did a 2 round mock.
#2 CP Arytom demidov went 5
#20 CP IGOR C Luchanko went 18 emery 19 connely 21 Hage 23 and Bosivert 24
#34 CP Juilius mierttien Elick 32 Hemming 33 Meows 35 eriksson 36
#54 CP Carson Wetsch 53 stiga #55 muggli 56 RD Luca marrelli
#61 CP Jacob battagalia 60 Poirier 62 misa

if it was me. Im not fan of CP and he made all our picks
Demidov
Hage
meows
MArrelli
Misa

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Pronman's mock made a lot of sense if we went Levshunov. Emphasis on size, size, skating, and size. Maybe some more size too.

Chernyshov is a definite possibility at 20 and I wouldn't rule out MBN either. Both fit the mold of guys that can fly, have size, and good compete. Hawks need players like that.

I do have to say, I bet even if we do draft Levshhunov, we grab a defender in the 2nd round as well. Miettinen is a good pick at 34 and gives the Hawks a player type we need too. Wasn't the biggest fan of Carson Wetsch. Feel like he won't be a Hawks pick. Battaglia is a classic Hawks pick. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

My wish list is to go after a premium position (center or defenseman) with that 34th oa pick. A lot of projectable guys in that range like O'Reilly/Miettinen/Eriksson/Pettersson/Danford/Pulkkinen/Shuravin. Most of these guys should be available. Picks 54 and 61 is a different story. A guy like Battaglia or Tarin Smith come to mind at that spot.

Reactions: TLEH

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Battaglia I could see for sure.

Although I would prefer Artamonov at 34 if he was there like he was in the mock. Rather than Miettinen. I watched a bit of Everett this year and I'm not blown away by him.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

Side note, this is whats wrong with internet hockey prospect shit in general. This guy gets up here and spews stuff about prospects all the time, who they should take at 2, etc. Then posts shit like this. Okay then? Your opinion is now irrelevant. Thanks.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Side note, this is whats wrong with internet hockey prospect shit in general. This guy gets up here and spews stuff about prospects all the time, who they should take at 2, etc. Then posts shit like this. Okay then? Your opinion is now irrelevant. Thanks.

I don’t like Chief, but prospect opinion gatekeeping is stupid.

At least he admits he doesn’t watch.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
If you don't watch, then you don't have an opinion. Its not a problem to not have an opinion. Its a problem to pass other people's opinions off as your own.

I agree, but there’s a difference between literally not watching at all vs only watching some ncaa games and WJC.

I’m not defending Chief, just to be clear.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I agree, but there’s a difference between literally not watching at all vs only watching some ncaa games and WJC.

I’m not defending Chief, just to be clear.
Right but if you're going to be some local hockey personality on twitter throwing opinions all over the place then you've gotta do at least a little homework. We throw opinions around on HF but it's a mutual understanding none of us are experts and what we say doesn't demand respect

Reactions: HawksDub89

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
"I have no idea who any of these players are and have never seen a game or even highlight compilation for any of them.

Anyways, my pick is [X]. It would be moronic to go with anyone else."

NHL Fans with the Draft in a nutshell.
Lmao, this describes so many people and even a little bit of myself. There is such little video on many prospects that most of everyones opinions should be thrown out the window. It's not like college football where most games can be found on video

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Right but if you're going to be some local hockey personality on twitter throwing opinions all over the place then you've gotta do at least a little homework. We throw opinions around on HF but it's a mutual understanding none of us are experts and what we say doesn't demand respect

Guess it depends on your opinion of chief. I view him as a Blackhawks fanboy.

I don’t view him in the same grouping as a Scott powers or any of the guys/gals who actually cover the team.

I agree though he tries to push this idea that he’s an insider. Which he clearly isn’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad