2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Unless he’s traded, I would see Voronkov as a lock. He has the size up front that the Jackets - and many teams - would love to have.
Exactly. I expect Brindley to be in the AHL (center or wing TBD) and I'm not really sure what to expect from Keskinen. I imagine another season overseas or coming over and competing in the AHL. From all reports he's done extremely well this season.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Forgot to mention Voronkov, Brindley and Keskinen. One of which will have a spot locked up and 2 others will be competing for a spot as soon as next season.

It's from the hockey writers, so grain of salt. But LDBB has been playing top line center for Cleveland who has been dominating in the playoffs so far. Obviously far from a lock but let's not act like he's not showing anything.
Like I said, I am high on LDBB.

Forgot? I’ll be convinced Voronkov is staying in Columbus when he signs his next contract and is dating a 21 year old Ohio girl. Brindley is another guy I like, but he is a middle six wing until proven otherwise. And Keskinen? Guess we can trade Fantilli and Marchenko because 7th rounders Keskinen and Angle have outplayed their draft positions.

Look, we have some great prospects, but they are prospects. How many times do we need to see promising prospects not pan out before people stop counting the chickens before they hatch?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Like I said, I am high on LDBB.

Forgot? I’ll be convinced Voronkov is staying in Columbus when he signs his next contract and is dating a 21 year old Ohio girl. Brindley is another guy I like, but he is a middle six wing until proven otherwise. And Keskinen? Guess we can trade Fantilli and Marchenko because 7th rounders Keskinen and Angle have outplayed their draft positions.

Look, we have some great prospects, but they are prospects. How many times do we need to see promising prospects not pan out before people stop counting the chickens before they hatch?
Calm down.

Nobody is counting chickens before they hatch. I was simply adding to the point that our center prospect pool is almost to the point of overflowing. Even if you take KJ and all of the proven NHLers out of the equation, we don't need to add multiple centers through the draft.

(Lindstrom?)

LDBB
Brindley
Malatesta
Keskinen
Pyyhtia
Mckown
Whitelaw
Peddle
Pinelli
McCue

Obviously majority of those players won't be 1/2C in the NHL, if they ever establish themselves in the NHL at all. But we have a lot darts to throw at the board, not everyone needs to be a bullseye.

Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Tankathon has what I am hoping for for the Jacket’s first two rounds.

Lindstrom in the first and Emery in the second.

Let’s hire the Tankathon guy as the next GM.

Reactions: CBJx614

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
So the Blue Jackets' Pipeline Podcast apparently did a deep dive on Silayev with Scott Wheeler ahead of the draft. Where there's smoke... ;)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So the Blue Jackets' Pipeline Podcast apparently did a deep dive on Silayev with Scott Wheeler ahead of the draft. Where there's smoke... ;)
It's been rumored that we are one of the teams in the top 5 that has been enamoured with him. Anaheim I believe was the other.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

He's gonna be talking about 1 specific draft-eligible prospect in each week's podcast up until the draft.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Michkov fell for reasons that have nothing to do with Demidov. Totally different players. And there's no Adam Fantilli on the board.
It's well known that Columbus are generally hesistant towards drafting Russian wingers that don't come over straight away.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's well known that Columbus are generally hesistant towards drafting Russian wingers that don't come over straight away.

More hesitant than most teams would be? I don't know, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I think wingers especially tend to develop very well in Russia so I don't think it matters that much.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
More hesitant than most teams would be? I don't know, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I think wingers especially tend to develop very well in Russia so I don't think it matters that much.
Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

EDIT: In particular, sarcastic in reference to Pronman seemingly thinking that the Michkov situation was not highly specific, which should be obvious considering Columbus has done very well drafting Russians recently (see Marchenko, Voronkov and Chinakhov).

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Michkov fell for reasons that have nothing to do with Demidov. Totally different players. And there's no Adam Fantilli on the board.
Yeah I thought it odd given all of the previous Russians we've drafted. But I guess that it's going to depend on the new GM at this point

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have heard more and more that people in NHL circles think Demidov could be a NHL center. Would be a KJ type situation but having that flexibility is also a plus. I'll hold to my thought that there are multiple players that I will not be disappointed with at #4.

Demidov is stronger than KJ and a better skater. I like his defensive awareness. I'd guess that he can be a center. I don't know if you want him to be a center, he does so much damage attacking freely from the wing. But as you say, flexibility is a plus.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

Something that he also said was that Montréal and San José didn't go with Michkov party because of a lack of live viewings, which might turn some teams away from Demidov too. From what I've heard, Demidov's camp is trying to rectify that this year, but that is something that gives me just a little bit of hope regarding Demidov falling to Columbus, seeing as they seem to have a good scouting presence in Russia.

Reactions: CBJx614

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
This looks like a forward heavy draft to me. I would be thrilled with Demidov and happy with Lindstrom or Iginla. I think all three of those names will be picked in the top 5. All three are very smart forwards who understand how to play.

Demidov is going to be a star. I'm totally sold on him and he's the best player I've watched so far (I have not watched any Celebrini yet). He moves smoothly yet attacks sharply. I don't care if he ever really performs at a high level in the KHL because he'll take off once he's in North America, although I do expect him to play well in the KHL starting next season.

I'm back and forth on Iginla and Lindstrom. Iginla is more refined and already has NHL level puck protection skill. He brings what the current Jackets have lacked since losing Bjorkstrand and Nyquist. Both Iginla and Lindstrom impress me hockey IQ wise. They score "pro" goals with how they pick their spots moving off of the puck. I can see Iginla consistently bringing a well rounded game and scoring around 30 goals every season.

I have a hard time seeing any of those 3 forwards not being effective once they hit the NHL. They all know what they're doing out there. Lindstrom is the least refined as of yet but he's big and skilled/smart enough to look like he's close to a "sure thing". I've yet to look in to the defensemen in the class enough to type about them but there will be at least a forward or two that I'm excited about at pick #4. This seems like a fairly strong draft despite being weaker than last season's.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Demidov is a no brainer .. Dickinson , I’ve heard that Anaheim or Chicago may draft , and many feel is the best defenseman in the draft . He’s a great skater , nearly 6ft 4 200 . I expect him to go before Silayev and to be a hot name as draft approaches. Lindstrom probably is going to fall unless teams 100% believe its cut and dry that he won’t need surgery

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This looks like a forward heavy draft to me. I would be thrilled with Demidov and happy with Lindstrom or Iginla. I think all three of those names will be picked in the top 5. All three are very smart forwards who understand how to play.

Demidov is going to be a star. I'm totally sold on him and he's the best player I've watched so far (I have not watched any Celebrini yet). He moves smoothly yet attacks sharply. I don't care if he ever really performs at a high level in the KHL because he'll take off once he's in North America, although I do expect him to play well in the KHL starting next season.

I'm back and forth on Iginla and Lindstrom. Iginla is more refined and already has NHL level puck protection skill. He brings what the current Jackets have lacked since losing Bjorkstrand and Nyquist. Both Iginla and Lindstrom impress me hockey IQ wise. They score "pro" goals with how they pick their spots moving off of the puck. I can see Iginla consistently bringing a well rounded game and scoring around 30 goals every season.

I have a hard time seeing any of those 3 forwards not being effective once they hit the NHL. They all know what they're doing out there. Lindstrom is the least refined as of yet but he's big and skilled/smart enough to look like he's close to a "sure thing". I've yet to look in to the defensemen in the class enough to type about them but there will be at least a forward or two that I'm excited about at pick #4. This seems like a fairly strong draft despite being weaker than last season's.

I don't know how many forwards will go top 5, some seem confident it will be mostly D-men. But I agree with your observations about Demidov, Lindstrom, and Iginla.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Kinda surprised Iginla is being talked about in the top 5. Mid sized, regular 1st round level production, skating didnt stand out to me in u18s. Looked like an usual #10-15 pick to me tbh.

Can someone elaborate what makes him rise from #10-15 to ~#5? What makes him better than Catton who outscored him by large margin and led his own team in scoring? Progress during the season, last name, adv.stats, something else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad