2024 NHL Draft

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I haven't paid much attention to the draft yet, but I took a quick look at a couple of ranking lists with an eye towards the smaller wings and D that typically are guys who drop. It's interesting that there aren't a lot of sub-6 footers on the list. And no one really jumps out at me as the type who has dropped in previous drafts. Connelly is listed as 6' 156lbs, so as a skinny winger with some other baggage I do think he could go a bit lower than he's listed and might be there when we pick. And I wonder if a smaller guy like Basha or Kiviharju could drop into the 2nd round, but probably not as far as around 50 or wherever we're drafting in the 2nd round? But, if our scouts like them maybe they could be someone we trade down and pick later in the 1st?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I haven't paid much attention to the draft yet, but I took a quick look at a couple of ranking lists with an eye towards the smaller wings and D that typically are guys who drop. It's interesting that there aren't a lot of sub-6 footers on the list. And no one really jumps out at me as the type who has dropped in previous drafts. Connelly is listed as 6' 156lbs, so as a skinny winger with some other baggage I do think he could go a bit lower than he's listed and might be there when we pick. And I wonder if a smaller guy like Basha or Kiviharju could drop into the 2nd round, but probably not as far as around 50 or wherever we're drafting in the 2nd round? But, if our scouts like them maybe they could be someone we trade down and pick later in the 1st?

I think there are some GREAT reasons to look to drop from 18th to somewhere between 25-32 if you're getting a 2nd rounder back in the process.

We've not yet seen Lamoriello do something like that.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I think there are some GREAT reasons to look to drop from 18th to somewhere between 25-32 if you're getting a 2nd rounder back in the process.

We've not yet seen Lamoriello do something like that.
If you're Lou, would it make sense to trade down and get more picks so you can have leverage for a bigger fish?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If you're Lou, would it make sense to trade down and get more picks so you can have leverage for a bigger fish?

The biggest fish he'll be able to trade for is by using the 18th in a swap reminiscent of the Romanov deal.

This draft isn't half bad, so even at 18 there are going to be a couple of very "sexy" selections there to be had.

A little problematic with trading back is that there aren't a lot of teams with multiple seconds and a few of them don't have a 1st. Pittsburgh would be one of those and well, Lou and Dubas know each other. I already mentioned Guerin and Minnesota. Guerin is a Lamoriello protoge.

Personally, I see a lot of reasons to look to trade back in the draft order. But you've gotta want someone who are pretty confident will be wherever you're moving back to.

Again, Lou has moved picks, but he hasn't dropped back to obtain more at any point yet.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The biggest fish he'll be able to trade for is by using the 18th in a swap reminiscent of the Romanov deal.

This draft isn't half bad, so even at 18 there are going to be a couple of very "sexy" selections there to be had.

A little problematic with trading back is that there aren't a lot of teams with multiple seconds and a few of them don't have a 1st. Pittsburgh would be one of those and well, Lou and Dubas know each other. I already mentioned Guerin and Minnesota. Guerin is a Lamoriello protoge.

Personally, I see a lot of reasons to look to trade back in the draft order. But you've gotta want someone who are pretty confident will be wherever you're moving back to.

Again, Lou has moved picks, but he hasn't dropped back to obtain more at any point yet.
So really there isnt a good avenue

Gotta get crafty.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Or simply draft the player you like most even if others think it's too soon. I would not be bothered if eg they drafted hage even if others call it a reach

Actually, Hage is the big riser this year. By the time the draft swings around, expect most to be mentioning him top 15 and that should be where he goes.

I'd say the likely dropper will be Eiserman, although if he does drop, I'd expect San Jose to grab him at 14. They'll already have Macklin in the bag, so they can perhaps afford to chance it.

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Actually, Hage is the big riser this year. By the time the draft swings around, expect most to be mentioning him top 15 and that should be where he goes.

I'd say the likely dropper will be Eiserman, although if he does drop, I'd expect San Jose to grab him at 14. They'll already have Macklin in the bag, so they can perhaps afford to chance it.
I see that now..

Another riser seems to be Luchanko, and he fits the profile of players you make a bet on. His development made a big jump, and he won't turn 18 until August (he's on the young end of the draft class). He's not small (not big either), and he's a very good skater. The word seems to be that he thinks the game very well, which is something that seems common for guys who survive being young for their year. The thing that stands out in his highlights is that he moves his feet to get to good angles, and also that he's unusually understated especially when he scores. Looks like he plays the point on the PP (as well as left wall), and... he looks like a defender when he does that, not a forward playing the point.

Righty shot, development curve, play style kinda makes one think of Robert Thomas.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I see that now..

Another riser seems to be Luchanko, and he fits the profile of players you make a bet on. His development made a big jump, and he won't turn 18 until August (he's on the young end of the draft class). He's not small (not big either), and he's a very good skater. The word seems to be that he thinks the game very well, which is something that seems common for guys who survive being young for their year. The thing that stands out in his highlights is that he moves his feet to get to good angles, and also that he's unusually understated especially when he scores. Looks like he plays the point on the PP (as well as left wall), and... he looks like a defender when he does that, not a forward playing the point.

Righty shot, development curve, play style kinda makes one think of Robert Thomas.

Luchanko is definitely one to watch. And he just had the kind of U18 tournament that likely propelled him from mid to late 2nd rounder right on up to the tail end of the first round.

He's a really good passer. Very quick to identify better placed players and seems to know what he's doing with the puck before it arrives on his stick. He's got inate sense out there.

Definitely a guy to look out for and we should assume that a team prioritizing the need for a playmaker could be ready to grab him in the middle of the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad