2024 NHL Playoffs Around the League

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Wouldn't mind either Western team winning. Pavelski finally getting one would be nice for him and a good story. McDavid getting one would be huge for the NHL in general.

Don't care if Florida wins the cup as long as they win this series.
Florida winning means we can laugh at the Flames a ton for letting go of Tkachuk (they had no choice) for Weegar and Huberdeau. Huberdeau is being paid more than Barzal and looks awful btw

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Islanders would be lucky to play that brand of hockey. Must be doing something correct.
Uh, they have two dynamic franchise players and not much else.

It's not about the Isles and whatever they are or are not doing.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You can win the Cup with either strategy if you properly construct the roster, but we can't have that conversation around here.

I just think it's harder to win that way because the roster construction is more difficult to pull off. How many teams have won the cup being a high octane offense? Colorado is the only one I can think of. They lost Kadri and their goaltending got worse so they haven't sniffed being able to repeat that success despite having a bunch of talented players on the roster.

An issue with the roster construction is when you have guys like McDavid and MacKinnon taking 14%+ of the cap there's not a lot more to spread around. It's a good problem to have but it makes maintaining that kind of roster difficult year over year. I'd be interested in what cup winning player has taken up the highest percentage of their team's cap.

Reactions: Osakahaus

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I just think it's harder to win that way because the roster construction is more difficult to pull off. How many teams have won the cup being a high octane offense? Colorado is the only one I can think of. They lost Kadri and their goaltending got worse so they haven't sniffed being able to repeat that success despite having a bunch of talented players on the roster.

An issue with the roster construction is when you have guys like McDavid and MacKinnon taking 14%+ of the cap there's not a lot more to spread around. It's a good problem to have but it makes maintaining that kind of roster difficult year over year. I'd be interested in what cup winning player has taken up the highest percentage of their team's cap.
It’s not that McDavid and Draisaitl are priced wrong. They’re not. It’s hard to construct the rest of that roster when Darnell Nurse is making $9.25M/yr for 6 more years!

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

Going back to 2010, I would say the Chicago teams (especially 2015), the Pittsburgh teams, and Colorado all played an offensive game. The Kings, Caps, and Blues all played a defensive style.

Tampa and Vegas were both extremely well-balanced, which required LTIR cap circumvention to achieve. The earlier Chicago teams were also really well-balanced due to cap-circumventing contracts.

Edmonton is currently built closest to the 16-17 Pittsburgh teams IMO.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Going back to 2010, I would say the Chicago teams (especially 2015), the Pittsburgh teams, and Colorado all played an offensive game. The Kings, Caps, and Blues all played a defensive style.

Tampa and Vegas were both extremely well-balanced, which required LTIR cap circumvention to achieve. The earlier Chicago teams were also really well-balanced due to cap-circumventing contracts.

I think Lou wanted to build the Isles to challenge the 2011 Bruins and 2018 Capitals…teams that played a heavy game and could score. Where the Islanders came up short is that those teams had Hall of Fame talents who could score goals and play with an edge. Lou was never able to find that kind of player for us.

I think Lou was expecting Anders Lee to grow into a consistent 35+ goal scorer and Brock Nelson to score 40+ regularly. Obviously that never happened.

Reactions: Osakahaus

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It’s not that McDavid and Draisaitl are priced wrong. They’re not. It’s hard to construct the rest of that roster when Darnell Nurse is making $9.25M/yr for 6 more years!

I don't think those guys are priced wrong either, it just makes every other move way more important/difficult to get precisely right because there are no re-dos. To your point, one miscue and everything is tied up for some time. It's rare for GMs to get it right with every contract they hand out or obtain.

I think Chicago and Pittsburgh were more defensive oriented than Colorado has been, but were definitely on the offensive side of the ledger. Colorado was the most run and gun, "we're going to outscore our problems" sort of team that I can remember seeing. Pittsburgh used their offense/forecheck to stifle anything coming back at them and Chicago still had prime Keith and Seabrook on the back end to go with Hjalmarsson when it came to shutting things down when necessary.

Tampa Bay and Vegas were are/were balanced and could play any which way. I'm glad you brought up the LTIR stuff because that certainly plays a part in the recent history of cup winners.

Edmonton seems like a mix between Colorado and Pittsburgh. Their goaltending is still a huge question mark, similar to Colorado and they're definitely trying to outscore their mistakes. They don't forecheck nearly as well as that Pittsburgh team but their backend is probably most similar in that they don't have a real superstar there (Bouchard is nice but he's not exactly a Makar or Hughes).

I've enjoyed watching Edmonton because I think watching McDavid is a great time. It'll be interesting to see how they match up with a very well balanced Dallas team. It'll be the best goaltender they've faced, the best defense, and probably the deepest forward group. Edmonton has me stressing the final moments of games similarly to the Islanders so I'm not sure they're going to be able to get it done this year. They seem like a team that hangs on for dear life during various stretches.

Reactions: MJF

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I think Lou wanted to build the Isles to challenge the 2011 Bruins and 2018 Capitals…teams that played a heavy game and could score. Where the Islanders came up short is that those teams had Hall of Fame talents who could score goals and play with an edge. Lou was never able to find that kind of player for us.

I think Lou was expecting Anders Lee to grow into a consistent 35+ goal scorer and Brock Nelson to score 40+ regularly. Obviously that never happened.
P much

we need that grit n glue again

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
P much

we need that grit n glue again
We need skill, hands that can finish, and passing ability first. Grit and glue after that.

This team has to be able to survive in today’s NHL.

Last edited:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I don't think those guys are priced wrong either, it just makes every other move way more important/difficult to get precisely right because there are no re-dos. To your point, one miscue and everything is tied up for some time. It's rare for GMs to get it right with every contract they hand out or obtain.

I think Chicago and Pittsburgh were more defensive oriented than Colorado has been, but were definitely on the offensive side of the ledger. Colorado was the most run and gun, "we're going to outscore our problems" sort of team that I can remember seeing. Pittsburgh used their offense/forecheck to stifle anything coming back at them and Chicago still had prime Keith and Seabrook on the back end to go with Hjalmarsson when it came to shutting things down when necessary.

Tampa Bay and Vegas were are/were balanced and could play any which way. I'm glad you brought up the LTIR stuff because that certainly plays a part in the recent history of cup winners.

Edmonton seems like a mix between Colorado and Pittsburgh. Their goaltending is still a huge question mark, similar to Colorado and they're definitely trying to outscore their mistakes. They don't forecheck nearly as well as that Pittsburgh team but their backend is probably most similar in that they don't have a real superstar there (Bouchard is nice but he's not exactly a Makar or Hughes).

I've enjoyed watching Edmonton because I think watching McDavid is a great time. It'll be interesting to see how they match up with a very well balanced Dallas team. It'll be the best goaltender they've faced, the best defense, and probably the deepest forward group. Edmonton has me stressing the final moments of games similarly to the Islanders so I'm not sure they're going to be able to get it done this year. They seem like a team that hangs on for dear life during various stretches.
I think Colorado is an outlier because it's almost impossible to assemble a team similar to theirs. Their defense significantly contributes to their offense while still having generational offensive talents. That really isn't the case with EDM, and it wasn't the case with those Pittsburgh teams outside of Letang. Both cups were won because Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel dominated teams, and I think McDavid, Draisitl, and Hyman look pretty similar. Murray was a better goaltender then, and I believe Pittsburgh had better depth overall.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think Colorado is an outlier because it's almost impossible to assemble a team similar to theirs. Their defense significantly contributes to their offense while still having generational offensive talents. That really isn't the case with EDM, and it wasn't the case with those Pittsburgh teams outside of Letang. Both cups were won because Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel dominated teams, and I think McDavid, Draisitl, and Hyman look pretty similar. Murray was a better goaltender then, and I believe Pittsburgh had better depth overall.

That's why I don't think teams should try to emulate them. It works because they have Makar and MacKinnon, if you don't have those very specific players then I'm not sure it works.

What was so impressive about the Penguins was they lost Letang and were still able to win because their structure was so good. I like when teams are able to maintain what they're doing in the absence of key players. Watching a team's hopes and dreams go down the tubes because a single guy got hurt is painful (unless it's the Rags).

Reactions: Lame Lambert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad