Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Yeah, that Zadina pick is the one that really bites us. He wasn't my first choice (was a big Dobson fan) but was still excited about it. And then he just never took off.
Agreed, I was hoping for Dobson myself. But when Z fell, I was happy to take him. Of course that all tracks back to the previous year when I wanted Necas at nine. Seems Martin made Z look that much better at that WJC. Oh well. Baby steps with Ras, he's slowly getting better, I guess. Right?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's being branded as a shutdown, physical forward, but I don't think he is actually any good at either role. And his Hockey IQ sucks.

Sometimes "shutdown" is just an euphemism for "can't score".

His skating regressed when he got injured because he's not a natural skater. I think he'll play better next season, but he's a 3rd liner at best which is disappointing for such a high pick. If he was a second round pick or later, people would probably be happy.

It's weird that Zadina got more love here than Raz, he was a higher pick that sucked worse with even less hockey IQ.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's weird that Zadina got more love here than Raz, he was a higher pick that sucked worse with even less hockey IQ.
Ras was the player in that portion of the draft with the most red flags going into draft night. He was the poster child for, "big guys who might bust" kinda picks, which is exactly why he was the one guy on my DON'T TAKE list. Since then, he's turned into a serviceable NHL player, even if that's still a letdown relative to other guys available.

Zadina was not my first choice at 6, but he was widely regarded as a very very good prospect on draft night. He just completely pooped the bed in his post draft development. (Hey! I'm a one trick pony who won't learn any new tricks or work on my strengths, let alone my deficiencies!)

Woulda been nice to have Zadina's pedigree with Rasmussen's attitude. But them's the breaks.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What a way to break in the kid, stick him between 2 wingers that can't play any defense.

Also, the kid is starting to look way too much like Copp. I thought he had darker redder hair.
We are talking about guy who played his first pro game with partners that played in NHL,

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
For once I agree with you. I'm glad that he's become valuable in a shutdown role the last two seasons, but I'd much rather have almost any of the other 2017 first round forwards besides him.

Seems to be a little bit dramatic.

Nolan Patrick - no
Cody Glass - no
Lias Andersson - no
Filip Chytil - no
Kailer Yamamoto - no
Kristian Vesalainen - no
Ryan Poehling - no
Morgan Frost - no
Shane Bowers - no
Eeli Tolvanen - no, probably a coin flip
Klim Kostin - no

Players who I would take but also need to see their recent performance continued
Casey Mittelstadt (for the record, i think this is a bad fit for both sides)
Gabe Vilardi (assuming no health issues)
Owen Tippett
Josh Norris (assuming no health issues)

No brainers
Hischier
Pettersson
Necas
Suzuki
Thomas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad