Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I hate Comcast so much, I quit watching TV. It's bad enough that I have to take it up the ass on a monthly basis for internet.

We all take it that way in the U.S.. It is ridiculous. We did have a different company come through and install fiber. My neighbor jumped on it because they were on comcast unlimited because their kids are never outside. It saved them 50%. I called comcast and told them the price. They matched it. The neighbors have lost service 2x now. I think staying was the right move for now.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I have AT&T and I don't really have any issues with them to be honest.

Our HOA pays for our Spectrum internet and cable and I haven't had any issues with them. I wish the Spectrum App was available on PlayStation, but it's available on XboX and most smart TVs, so when I go to friends houses, I load up the app at their place and we can watch sports there (no one has cable, and if the HOA didn't pay for cable, we wouldn't have it either). The internet we have is fast and I have no issues with gaming.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Bored at work. Searching for random stuff on E-Bay. Found a Red Wings pullover Starter just like I had in '93 or '94. Not a size that would fit me now but tempted to take a flyer on it just to have and claim I had since I was a kid.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
POOL PEOPLE: Putting in a pool for a part-time home, part time rental. Currently the plan is to have a "deep end" of 6.6 feet. Some suggest we go sport or do a 5 foot depth/sport.

Any experience or suggestions? It's a decent size pool and we are thinking most would like a deep end but that could well be a personal bias. The poo has a spa, tanning shelf, swim up seating to the bar and a shallow end. As I 2nd guess myself, I was thinking about making the hammer head side of the pool (where the line is ) 6.5 feet and the rest 5.

Any thoughts? Hammer away. :)

1715906028433.png

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
POOL PEOPLE: Putting in a pool for a part-time home, part time rental. Currently the plan is to have a "deep end" of 6.6 feet. Some suggest we go sport or do a 5 foot depth/sport.

Any experience or suggestions? It's a decent size pool and we are thinking most would like a deep end but that could well be a personal bias. The poo has a spa, tanning shelf, swim up seating to the bar and a shallow end. As I 2nd guess myself, I was thinking about making the hammer head side of the pool (where the line is ) 6.5 feet and the rest 5.

Any thoughts? Hammer away. :)

View attachment 871816
My first thought is you have lots of money and I need to be nice to you. :laugh:

My suggestion is that you look into insurance costs for the pool, especially because the pool is going to be a rental part-time. A friend of mine once told me that when he put an in-ground in, making the deep end greater than 6' upped the costs of liability insurance significantly. Given that you're renting out part time, maybe keeping it a little shallower is a better idea.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
HOLY CRAP, what is it with rental prices in Michigan. I thought it'd be a lot cheaper in MI than WA....

$3k monthly for 3 bdrm house in Milford or Novi? I was thinking about renting for a year, but I guess I'm gonna have to buy when I move.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
HOLY CRAP, what is it with rental prices in Michigan. I thought it'd be a lot cheaper in MI than WA....

$3k monthly for 3 bdrm house in Milford or Novi? I was thinking about renting for a year, but I guess I'm gonna have to buy when I move.

Considering the average SFH price in Novi is like $666,000 it makes sense. Milford should be considerably cheaper though.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Considering the average SFH price in Novi is like $666,000 it makes sense. Milford should be considerably cheaper though.

Those $600k+ houses are considerably bigger than the rentals I'm looking at. I'm looking at <2k sq ft, not 3k+. Milford is not any cheaper, and neither is Brighton which surprises me.

I'll probably just move back to Brighton and buy a house. I'm looking in the $500k or less range, I really don't need more than 2k sq ft, my current house is 1560 sq ft, 3bd, 2.5 baths.

This will be the 4th time moving to Michigan. I knew it was gonna eventually happen, which is why I'm still a Wings fan.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
My first thought is you have lots of money and I need to be nice to you. :laugh:

My suggestion is that you look into insurance costs for the pool, especially because the pool is going to be a rental part-time. A friend of mine once told me that when he put an in-ground in, making the deep end greater than 6' upped the costs of liability insurance significantly. Given that you're renting out part time, maybe keeping it a little shallower is a better idea.

Thank you. No need to be nice to me, because I don't have any money. It's all in a freaking house! :DD.

That said, this next statement may not convince you otherwise. The pool is for a home in Costa Rica. The guests will have access to the ocean and two clubhouse pools. While both are free, many do not want to swim and sunbath in a larger pool. Plus a burger is $20 and a drink is, well its a bar. The home is 4 bedrooms and we expect couples with with a kids and larger families. My thought is they will want to cannon ball, dive and swim and the adults hang out in the spa and tanning shelf. At east that is what I did as a kid and still do now.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Thank you. No need to be nice to me, because I don't have any money. It's all in a freaking house! :DD.

That said, this next statement may not convince you otherwise. The pool is for a home in Costa Rica. The guests will have access to the ocean and two clubhouse pools. While both are free, many do not want to swim and sunbath in a larger pool. Plus a burger is $20 and a drink is, well its a bar. The home is 4 bedrooms and we expect couples with with a kids and larger families. My thought is they will want to cannon ball, dive and swim and the adults hang out in the spa and tanning shelf. At east that is what I did as a kid and still do now.
What’s the discount code for Hfboard members?

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
What’s the discount code for Hfboard members?

Using a Wings based discount formula. The discount = the years since they won the Cup. RW16.

That said, first things first, I have to get the damn thing built. A great base camp, or resort week, in coastal NW Costa Rica. My wife is a Tica and did not want a home in CR. After 6 weeks in this area, she limited my options to 1 community. 7 years later I found a fire sale lot. 5 years later, this build. The glamour of it all, we've been renting for 6 years now. This home will be done in January.

So the new HF Red Wings only vacation discount resort is a 4 bedroom place in Reserva Conchal. Full owners club benefits. Design photos attached.

The home is in a gated community within a gated community.

If you can't wait they have two resorts Westin All inclusive and W. Room cost doubles in high season (December-April is the summer season). The rental price will likely match the higher end rooms, but hold more folks (making it more affordable and, if I build the right pool, fun. < I can see my brothers and I with our kids at the place. We want our own pool, not osmething at the club.

Attachments

• image(3).png
    image(3).png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • image(2).png
    image(2).png
    2.8 MB · Views: 1

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Using a Wings based discount formula. The discount = the years since they won the Cup. RW16.

That said, first things first, I have to get the damn thing built. A great base camp, or resort week, in coastal NW Costa Rica. My wife is a Tica and did not want a home in CR. After 6 weeks in this area, she limited my options to 1 community. 7 years later I found a fire sale lot. 5 years later, this build. The glamour of it all, we've been renting for 6 years now. This home will be done in January.

So the new HF Red Wings only vacation discount resort is a 4 bedroom place in Reserva Conchal. Full owners club benefits. Design photos attached.

The home is in a gated community within a gated community.

If you can't wait they have two resorts Westin All inclusive and W. Room cost doubles in high season (December-April is the summer season). The rental price will likely match the higher end rooms, but hold more folks (making it more affordable and, if I build the right pool, fun. < I can see my brothers and I with our kids at the place. We want our own pool, not osmething at the club.
Congrats heyfolks, I remember you talking about this as your plan almost 20 years ago on RWC. Looks great.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Congrats heyfolks, I remember you talking about this as your plan almost 20 years ago on RWC. Looks great.

Very kind of you, thank you. It has been a long haul. It's the Heyfolksplan. Not the same ring as the Yzerplan, and I sure hope he gets to the end before we did, but we are excited. The end product won't look exactly like the concept drawings, but the unexpected dollar devaluation added 30% to the cost of the build. As you well stated, after 20 years, we weren't going to wait any longer.

I'll send pics of the final product. Right now it is foundation, rebar, metal and block. Very little wood frame construction in Costa Rica and being so close to the ocean I am happy about that.

Side note: working on bourbon connections in CR now.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Very kind of you, thank you. It has been a long haul. It's the Heyfolksplan. Not the same ring as the Yzerplan, and I sure hope he gets to the end before we did, but we are excited. The end product won't look exactly like the concept drawings, but the unexpected dollar devaluation added 30% to the cost of the build. As you well stated, after 20 years, we weren't going to wait any longer.

I'll send pics of the final product. Right now it is foundation, rebar, metal and block. Very little wood frame construction in Costa Rica and being so close to the ocean I am happy about that.

Side note: working on bourbon connections in CR now.
Does that mean you'll have 50% of people blindly support you and give you attaboys even if production hits a snag and the other 50% telling you what a dumbshit you are for even considering this?

What addition to this rental place is your Berggren? Maybe this pool?

(This is actually beyond super f***in cool. I'll be one giving attaboys)

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Does that mean you'll have 50% of people blindly support you and give you attaboys even if production hits a snag and the other 50% telling you what a dumbshit you are for even considering this?

What addition to this rental place is your Berggren? Maybe this pool?

(This is actually beyond super f***in cool. I'll be one giving attaboys)

I can only hope this reduces the % of people calling me a dumbshit to 50%.

• Haha
Reactions: Bench and SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad