ATD Chat Thread XX

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I notice that Auston Matthews is a finalist for the Selke and the Lady Byng.

Only three players have won both in the same year:
  • Francis in '95
  • Datsyuk in '08
  • Kopitar in '16
Matthews could become the 4th, and the first American.

Note: O'Reilly & Barkov have won each once, but in different seasons.

Note2: Datsyuk & Kopitar have not only been the most gentlemanly player while at the same time being the best defensive forward (an honor Frank Nighbor would have won multiple times if the Selke existed back then)... but also: Datsyuk & Kopitar have won each award again, but in different seasons.

Reactions: Hockey Stathead

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
McDavid's most recent goal continues to show how great he is!

He might end up on the Jagr, Crosby tier.

He is certainly gonna be inducted and above Turgeon and the Sedins.

Ceiling talk: Can McDavid surpass Lemieux?
... dang open q

Last edited:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Digging through some old newspapers, it's crazy how early women's hockey starts.

I have reference to a game in Regina in 1896!
That was something that struck me too while digging through the scans. I don’t have the exact year, but I vividly recall a game report from the late (?) 1890s where one player was compared to Wendy Young.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
That was something that struck me too while digging through the scans. I don’t have the exact year, but I vividly recall a game report from the late (?) 1890s where one player was compared to Wendy Young.
It looks like I remembered the date incorrectly, actually, the game report was from 31 January 1900 (close enough, right?)-

"Miss Jessie Gilmour, who captained the Sandy Hill team was a tower of strength at cover point and her brilliant rushes down the ice reminded one of Mike Grant, of the Victorias, or Weldy Young, and were one of the features of the match"

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
It looks like I remembered the date incorrectly, actually, the game report was from 31 January 1900 (close enough, right?)-

"Miss Jessie Gilmour, who captained the Sandy Hill team was a tower of strength at cover point and her brilliant rushes down the ice reminded one of Mike Grant, of the Victorias, or Weldy Young, and were one of the features of the match"
You might be able to point me in the right direction.

I can find tons of Manitoba Hockey Association stuff 1895-1910. And tons of references to hockey in Regina in the same time period. But nothing to an actual named league.

Have you seen any pre 1910 Saskatchewan league stuff? It's weird how much hockey there is without a formalized league.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
You might be able to point me in the right direction.

I can find tons of Manitoba Hockey Association stuff 1895-1910. And tons of references to hockey in Regina in the same time period. But nothing to an actual named league.

Have you seen any pre 1910 Saskatchewan league stuff? It's weird how much hockey there is without a formalized league.
Sorry, I haven’t. Not that I can remember, at least. I haven’t even made my way through the MHA yet, though it is on my list.

I’m sure there must have been a league, though… right? A quick check in Wiki makes mention of a Saskatchewan Amateur Hockey Association being founded in 1906, but that appears to be it.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad