WC: Austria 2024 roster talk

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Very exciting game. Austria lives up to its reputation, can score goals and will give up more.

Thimo Nickl played really well. He was in a tough spot having to battle down below and basically shield the net solo. He not only got the assist, but also fought really hard. Interesting because for years, behind closed doors he's sorta been the guy other austrian players and scouts thought was overrated. He has developed though, he can play a tenacious game and protect the goalie.

Defense is still a huge issue. 18 goals in 3 games is obviously too much. Austria has never lacked speedy and skill, and this is not less true now, but still can't match up physically with basically any other team. That said, it's really cool to see the whole team come together and rally. I mean, I remember checking after all of Peter Schneider's games with the Indy Fuel. And Dominic Zwerger's games with the Spokane Chiefs. All the way down to Rohrer when he was in the U17 Elite. So this is pretty cool.
It was a wonderful day for Austrian hockey. Nickl should be playing AHL hockey next year if he wants to stay in NA. He's good enough. Madlener did all he's really capable of... I keep calling for them to import a goaltender but it seems it's the David duo for now.

I loved Schneider's poise today.

I was very disappointed by how passive they were early in the game and maybe if they had a bit more jump and energy.. they could have stabbed Canada early.

Is M Raffl done with the National Team?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
It was a wonderful day for Austrian hockey. Nickl should be playing AHL hockey next year if he wants to stay in NA. He's good enough. Madlener did all he's really capable of... I keep calling for them to import a goaltender but it seems it's the David duo for now.

I loved Schneider's poise today.

I was very disappointed by how passive they were early in the game and maybe if they had a bit more jump and energy.. they could have stabbed Canada early.

Is M Raffl done with the National Team?
Raffl is done. Nickl is probably playing in Austria next year. If they didn't come out so flat they probably never make a comeback haha.

As far as "reinforcements", I would think mainly Marco Kasper and David Reinbacher. Maybe Luis Lindner. I think if you're looking for a defenseman who has Dominique Heinrich qualities without his physical deficits, Lindner is probably the closest you will find. But he is, unquestionably also, a defensive liability.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Raffl is done. Nickl is probably playing in Austria next year. If they didn't come out so flat they probably never make a comeback haha.

As far as "reinforcements", I would think mainly Marco Kasper and David Reinbacher. Maybe Luis Lindner. I think if you're looking for a defenseman who has Dominique Heinrich qualities without his physical deficits, Lindner is probably the closest you will find. But he is, unquestionably also, a defensive liability.
I like Wimmer's raw tools but maybe he's not developing?

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Is M Raffl really done with the NT, I thought he refused due to the long season with Lausanne and because he was banged up. He played a hell of a playoff and certainly would be an upgrade? Hofer would also help but he retired

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad