Prospect Info: C/RW Matthew Savoie, 9th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft - Traded to Moose Jaw 1/4/24

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
So far, he has responded with a solid season and no sulking. Very positive. It's a long road in the NHL. Where you are at 20 isn't where you are at 28. But as a kid, that can be tough to see. I like his tenacity more than anything else. I haven't watched enough to see his skating. Amazing how good a league the NHL is today. Every inch counts.

Sabres need guys with talent but also players who will win puck battles all game long which is easier said than done. Just haven't seen enough of him to know if he's all about talent or a battler in junior.
In the Ruff coached, Presidents Cup winning season, they played a less physical 3 man roundabout to keep possession in the Ozone. Kind of a game of keep away.

Defenders were just chasing their man around the passing circle. When man to man defense broke down the forwards were keen to notice and someone went to the net for a very good pass and slot shot. When the D backed off and played more of a zone, the skilled forwards had plenty of time to make plays. Once they got into that passing rotation, they were really tough to stop.

The smaller forwards were able to contribute to puck possession while also flashing their skills and setting each other up. It kept defenders chasing. I'm hoping Ruff can implement equally effective Ozone measures.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
In the Ruff coached, Presidents Cup winning season, they played a less physical 3 man roundabout to keep possession in the Ozone. Kind of a game of keep away.

Defenders were just chasing their man around the passing circle. When man to man defense broke down the forwards were keen to notice and someone went to the net for a very good pass and slot shot. When the D backed off and played more of a zone, the skilled forwards had plenty of time to make plays. Once they got into that passing rotation, they were really tough to stop.

The smaller forwards were able to contribute to puck possession while also flashing their skills and setting each other up. It kept defenders chasing. I'm hoping Ruff can implement equally effective Ozone measures.

I always thought the 2005-06 team played a more physical game than in 2006-07. It was subtle and mostly the same lineup, but it just felt like a different team Maybe it's all in my heads because they were underdogs..

His skating, pace, and work rate are some of the best assets of his game. That and his ability to shoot the puck and score in a variety of ways from all distances. Offensively, the kid has chops.

The biggest question with him is going to be durability at his size. We’ve already seen shoulder and arm stuff derail him twice and he just turned 20.

He's actually pretty thick for his weight. Sometimes, injuries in the NHL are learning how to be hit and when to take risks. Injuries can be fluky too but experience helps.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I always thought the 2005-06 team played a more physical game than in 2006-07. It was subtle and mostly the same lineup, but it just felt like a different team Maybe it's all in my heads because they were underdogs..

He's actually pretty thick for his weight. Sometimes, injuries in the NHL are learning how to be hit and when to take risks. Injuries can be fluky too but experience helps.

Yeah, I like that he will burrow to high danger areas. He is top six or nothing though imho. But my word does he remind me of Briere.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yeah, I like that he will burrow to high danger areas. He is top six or nothing though imho. But my word does he remind me of Briere.
I think he'll be top line, and only injuries will prevent it. Benson-Savoie-xxx or Benson-xxx-Savoie will be the future top Sabre line.

top xxx candidates being Peterka, Quinn, Tage, Cozens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad