Friedman: Canes to buyout Kotkaniemi?

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
No matter how you try to spin it, Montreal basically traded a 3rd overall pick for Christian Dvorak
Yep that is true. And the Canes traded 2 draft picks and then signed a player to a 8 year 40 million dollar contract, who is now being talked about as a buyout candidate. It was a disaster for both teams.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I've yet to see a compelling explanation how spite theory fits the Canes signing Kotkaniemi to an 8 year deal.

Like okay, if they immediately let him walk, or jettisoned him for a ham sandwhich then sure. But they signed him to max term deal.

That says to me the Canes were hoping to lock in their 2c- who also happened to be the franchise players bff- to a long term team friendly deal. It was a gamble that didn't pay off. Not as bad as Jeannot in Tampa, but similar idea.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I've yet to see a compelling explanation how spite theory fits the Canes signing Kotkaniemi to an 8 year deal.

Like okay, if they immediately let him walk, or jettisoned him for a ham sandwhich then sure. But they signed him to max term deal.

That says to me the Canes were hoping to lock in their 2c- who also happened to be the franchise players bff- to a long term team friendly deal. It was a gamble that didn't pay off. Not as bad as Jeannot in Tampa, but similar idea.
Sunk cost fallacy. Not spite.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Aren’t you the “Slavin Sucks” guy? Please let me know how the Canes touched you?
He's just trolling and has openly admitted to it.

In his own words:

I only do what I do because the Canes and their fanbase have turned into this generation's Canucks fans. Obnoxious and severely overrating anyone that puts on their jersey.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Explain Hamilton in the context of sunk costs driving decision making. Substantial price paid. Not an expected late 1st and 3rd like Kotkaniemi. They let him walk as a UFA a few years later, while Hanifin and Lindholm had several years of term left on their contracts.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Explain Hamilton in the context of sunk costs driving decision making. Substantial price paid. Not an expected late 1st and 3rd like Kotkaniemi. They let him walk as a UFA a few years later, while Hanifin and Lindholm had several years of term left on their contracts.
Or for that matter, Ferland

Edit: I just checked and he played 14 games in the NHL after leaving Carolina. Woof. f*** concussions

Reactions: WreckingCrew

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Now just bring back Kravtsov (and his generational talent)to make one of the greatest lines in the history of hockey lines. Kakko-Kotkaniemi-Kravtsov can be the triple bust line.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Now just bring back Kravtsov (and his generational talent)to make one of the greatest lines in the history of hockey lines. Kakko-Kotkaniemi-Kravtsov can be the triple bust line.
1717421207664.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have heard about the rumor of KK packaged with Necas? Any truth to this? If so, what are the Canes wanting back? Is this attempt to get cap space freed up and you would want futures back with no contract coming?

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
I have heard about the rumor of KK packaged with Necas? Any truth to this? If so, what are the Canes wanting back? Is this attempt to get cap space freed up and you would want futures back with no contract coming?
Only rumor that was "out there" was them packaged as a starting point for EP before he signed his long term contract. It was rumored that the package Carolina offered made Vancouver really think about it. Ultimately EP didn't want to get traded and signed his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad