Friedman: Canes to buyout Kotkaniemi?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canes told Kotkaniemi they would give him big long term contract when he signed one year deal. Can't turn around haul it out from under him now
And they did give him that contract and it's been 2 years into that agreement. He will after 2 years, (if bought out), take home just over $18 mill for those 2 years. And is then free to get another contract to make up the remaining $20 mill over 6 years ($3.33 mill AAV).

End of the day Carolina has to be realistic about their expectations for him. He's been extremely streaky so far in his career production wise. Will have a great 10-12 game run of points, then nothing for long stretches during the year.

They don't have to rush a decision. With RFAs who have arbitration rights, they have the option to wait until the second window to see if it makes more sense to free up $4 mill elsewhere or not.

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Who tf is k2
images

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't see the point because he will qualify for the U26 rate for another few season. This isn't a Dubois or Norris type situation where it's their last year to qualify (although Norris is likely safe due to injury).

It only makes sense if they think they are a 3M or whatever away from competing. Or they can get a fantastic UFA but the only way to make room is with the buyout.

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
Brindamour is a no nonsense type coach. KK is still learning on the job and was drafted as a long term prospect. There is no room for complacency or prolonged trust on his cup contending roster.

From what I have seen, KK looks to be one of those types that takes years to mature and might have a good 25-30 age range prime. His skating is meh or OK but Canes play a fast tempo game. Probably doesn't fit their strategy
Then a player like Mikheyev, who is really far, good defensively maybe be a good for the Canes

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
You can't do that stuff. You make a deal with somebody you have to stand behind it

That part of the collective bargaining deal the league and the players made is literally part of the deal with him. With every player. It is one of the options in the contract. He. signed.

If he wasn't aware of the possibility when he signed the deal, he has a bigger beef with his agent than he should have with the Canes.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
On a recent episode of 32 thoughts Friedman said that the Canes could buyout K2.

On one that's brutal that's a 12 year buyout.

On the other he's under 26 so It's a 1/3 buyout.

835K for 12 years
Does K2 have a name?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
You have to buy him out, fact is he is a nothing player. Doesn't play special teams, not overly physical, not a shutdown guy. He's a guy with cement for skates that gets hot playing with better players 15 games out of 82.

Exact same player he was when the O/S was signed, he has not improved at all save for one good stretch two seasons ago into the beginning of the year.

If they go into next year with him, it will be because Dundon can't stomach paying someone 8MM to play somewhere else. How else could you justify him taking a roster spot and 4.8 when you could get 4 of that back to spend on actual talent.

Reactions: viceroy

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
I want the Canucks to try and sign him if he is bought out. I wonder if a Tocchet system would suit him better than a RBA one given his toolset, and I think he has a ceiling of 2024 playoff Lindholm if he can figure it out.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Canes told Kotkaniemi they would give him big long term contract when he signed one year deal. Can't turn around haul it out from under him now

If they did, the NHL would punish them.

No they wouldn’t. Telling a player we’re offering a 1 year deal with interest in going longer at a later date isn’t a violation.
The member I quoted, as shown above, wrote that the Canes told him that they would give him a big long-term contract.

If true, that promise is illegal. It's more than showing interest in going longer at a later date...

Reactions: viceroy

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The member I quoted, as shown above, wrote that the Canes told him that they would give him a big long-term contract.

If true, that promise is illegal. It's more than showing interest in going longer at a later date...
That promise isn’t illegal even though it didn’t happen. The pre negotiating of a 2nd deal would be illegal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad