to Vancouver Canucks
John Carlson (2 years)
Sonny Milano (2 years)
total cap hit = $9.90m

to Washington Capitals
Filip Hronek (RFA -> extends 4+ years)
Ilya Mikheyev (2 years)
total cap hit = around $11.25m to $12.50m
Vancouver is also adding (you tell me how much / how little)

What would VAN be adding to make it a fair deal? Something tiny? Something big?

VAN gets to save on cap (they need to sign a top 4 defenseman and Joshua). This helps them get better and stay better in their win-now opportunity window.

WAS gets younger while still being "competitive" (for a playoff spot, not a cup). They also add at least one pick or prospect to help them once Ovechkin retires. Hronek will likely still be a good player in 5 years. Carlson won't be.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Where is the reason for Capitals to do this?

They need scoring, not forwards like Mikheyev. Milano scores at a better rate for far less money. Mikheyev doesn't really fit what Capitals need, at all. Propably better suited to find a fit for him elsewhere.

Carlson for Hronek i mean... why? If they wanted to get younger then Hronek is still too old to even consider and he's had a horrific 2nd half of the season. Still a good player but Carlson has carried this poor D core for years and i don't think Capitals stay competitive if they try to force that role to Hronek and make him play the most minutes in the league.

I get it that you mentioned that Vancouver would be adding, but really even the main pieces don't make much sense for the Capitals. Canucks too would propably be better off exploring other targets, as Carlson is likely to never be traded.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Where is the reason for Capitals to do this?

They need scoring, not forwards like Mikheyev. Milano scores at a better rate for far less money. Mikheyev doesn't really fit what Capitals need, at all. Propably better suited to find a fit for him elsewhere.

Carlson for Hronek i mean... why? If they wanted to get younger then Hronek is still too old to even consider and he's had a horrific 2nd half of the season. Still a good player but Carlson has carried this poor D core for years and i don't think Capitals stay competitive if they try to force that role to Hronek and make him play the most minutes in the league.

I get it that you mentioned that Vancouver would be adding, but really even the main pieces don't make much sense for the Capitals. Canucks too would propably be better off exploring other targets, as Carlson is likely to never be traded.
Mikeheyev is basically a dump. Vancouver will compensate Washington for swapping him out for Milano. Hronek and Sandin would be the D core basically once Ovechkin retires and the team starts rebuilding. Fehervary too. I guess Washington would be particularly interested in a certain prospect coming from Vancouver that they have their eyes on?

This trade probably happens in the context of Carlson making it known to Washington management that he either wants to go to a contender, or is at least open to it, and isn't dead set on retiring a Capital and never winning another cup. Probably also happens in the context of Washington thinking that Hronek is going to be capable of logging huge minutes.

Nogatco Rd

noble man who is loved by many animal
Apr 3, 2021
This trade probably happens in the context of Carlson making it known to Washington management that he either wants to go to a contender, or is at least open to it, and isn't dead set on retiring a Capital and never winning another cup. Probably also happens in the context of Washington thinking that Hronek is going to be capable of logging huge minutes.
Seems like he and his family love being in DC, part of a relatively tight knit team group. Dude almost lost his ear/hearing two years ago to that Dillon slapshot that fractured his skull and severed his temporal artery, yet still worked his ass off to get back on the ice and finish what was at the point a lost Caps season.

I’d be shocked if he leaves before Ovi does. I’m not saying the Caps wouldn’t consider any offers for him, but Hronek being the main piece coming back is a non-starter IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad