NESN Dave Goucher and Shane Hnidy are negotiating with NESN for next season

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Here’s the thing about broadcasting at the pro level.

You can do all your homework, be knowledgeable, have zero issues keeping up with the play and calling it accurately. But at the end of the day you need the voice for it.

And unfortunately for the most part that’s just something you’re either born with or you’re not.

I think you’ve got a voice that tops out at ECHL. And personally I’m not a fan of the Randy Moller style of play by play goal calls.

As a Bruins fan I would not want to listen to you on NESN 82+ games a year.

That’s just my opinion.
That's why no matter how knowledgeable Leah Hextall or Emily Kaplan may be, it just will never work. Sonically it's just nails on a chalkboard. No one wants to say anything though because they don't want to look misogynistic for saying so (though some do because they are and don't care who knows it).

Oddly I've never really had a problem with Jessica Mendoza doing baseball, but her voice is fuller and baseball is a different pace than hockey. But she has the opposite problem where the voice is fine but the content lacks, she brings nothing analytically.

Babajingo

That's why no matter how knowledgeable Leah Hextall or Emily Kaplan may be, it just will never work. Sonically it's just nails on a chalkboard. No one wants to say anything though because they don't want to look misogynistic for saying so (though some do because they are and don't care who knows it).

Oddly I've never really had a problem with Jessica Mendoza doing baseball, but her voice is fuller and baseball is a different pace than hockey. But she has the opposite problem where the voice is fine but the content lacks, she brings nothing analytically.
I don't mind Emily's voice.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Leah Hextall is awful, like god awful. I can think of a million sounds I'd rather listen to, one of which is a buzzing mosquito as you're trying to sleep. If that makes me a dick, then I'm Johnny Sins.

Emily isn't too bad, though. There's been a few women that have been damn good, though. I just can't remember their names. I actually really liked when they had the women announce the goal scorers during one of the Bruins games this year (I think it was this year) - I thought it was great.

Reactions: Dr Hook and Gordoff

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA

"NESN and the Bruins have reached out to Dave Goucher, who is very familiar to Bruins fans. He called their games on the radio from 2000-17 before he was hired as the TV play-by-play voice for the expansion Vegas Golden Knights, where he calls games with former Bruins defenseman Shane Hnidy ... Goucher enjoys his job in Las Vegas, but he and his wife are New Englanders who still spend their summers in Rhode Island. He would be the ideal choice, and hopefully the Bruins and NESN will make him an offer worthy of his talents."

"According to one potential candidate, NESN is putting together a group of prospective play-by-play voices to audition at its Watertown studios. The job is being pursued not only by local play-by-play voices, but ones with established national backgrounds. It is a coveted opening."

"Alex Faust, the Northeastern grad and former Los Angeles Kings announcer, was presumed to have the inside track after the season ... He did fine work in the substitute role, but it’s uncertain whether NESN considers him one of the leading candidates. He does not have an audition lined up, but perhaps his work during the season gives him a credit for that."

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Everything I have heard for 2 months is Goucher is the target.

The NY Rangers are also looking at Alex Faust as Sam Rosen is 76 years old and missed a couple of playoff games because of health.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/sam...rs-health-scare-stanley-cup-playoffs.htmlthen go home and

Goucher enjoys that he can easily drive to the arena for the morning skate and then return home and drive back for the game. That is not an option in Boston.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
Everything I have heard for 2 months is Goucher is the target.

The NY Rangers are also looking at Alex Faust as Sam Rosen is 76 years old and missed a couple of playoff games because of health.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/sam...rs-health-scare-stanley-cup-playoffs.htmlthen go home and

Goucher enjoys that he can easily drive to the arena for the morning skate and then return home and drive back for the game. That is not an option in Boston.
Do you think the lure of the job might bring him back?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Do you think the lure of the job might bring him back?
Golden Knights TV is also shaky since their RSN collapsed last year. They cobbled up an over-the-air network last season that included Salt Lake City but of course, that is now gone.

1717279495038.png

Reactions: Johnny Upton

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

"NESN and the Bruins have reached out to Dave Goucher, who is very familiar to Bruins fans. He called their games on the radio from 2000-17 before he was hired as the TV play-by-play voice for the expansion Vegas Golden Knights, where he calls games with former Bruins defenseman Shane Hnidy ... Goucher enjoys his job in Las Vegas, but he and his wife are New Englanders who still spend their summers in Rhode Island. He would be the ideal choice, and hopefully the Bruins and NESN will make him an offer worthy of his talents."

"According to one potential candidate, NESN is putting together a group of prospective play-by-play voices to audition at its Watertown studios. The job is being pursued not only by local play-by-play voices, but ones with established national backgrounds. It is a coveted opening."

"Alex Faust, the Northeastern grad and former Los Angeles Kings announcer, was presumed to have the inside track after the season ... He did fine work in the substitute role, but it’s uncertain whether NESN considers him one of the leading candidates. He does not have an audition lined up, but perhaps his work during the season gives him a credit for that."

No to Faust. Dreary golf/baseball voice.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad