Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
This series is going 7 games. Normally I would have favored Carolina, but it is going to depend on how many healthy players they have left by game 7.

I know a lot of people laugh at the thought of Rempe having an impact on the series, but consider that he managed to injure 3 Caps in only 4 games. If he plays all 7 games that could mean as many as 5 injured Canes.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
This is a tough one to decide....going 6-7 for sure.....I am going with the Canes but I do so with some trepidation.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
All these potential second-round series are looking tasty, this one is too close to call. I voted Canes in six games, but honestly, it could be Rangers in six easily as well. I suggest that NYR made mistakes that went unpunished in the Caps series, which most definitely will NOT be the same against Carolina. The biggest of those mistakes was the amount of stupid penalties they took, they need to clean that up or it could potentially be a short series.

Now with that said, Canes did not look exactly amazing against the Islanders, true they were the better team for at least 95% of the series, but they allowed them to hang around, which is what I thought was going to happen. Andersen is one of the main reasons why, some of the goals he lets in are momentum gaining for the opposite team. I actually thought he played well for the most part, it's just some of the goals like falling over today which allowed NYI back in a game where the shots were like 25 to 9 for Carolina. He will need to clean up some of those mistakes himself as he's facing Igor, who I am giving the advantage to New York. On the other side, Carolina is the better coached and structural team, so they should have an advantage over Laviolette and his tactics.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Should be a pretty good match up.
Canes losing Fast is not good. He’s a huge PKer and always plays well in the playoffs even when he was a Ranger.
Pesce Being banged up isn’t good either.

I think NYR matches up well against the canes.
Hopefully chytil can get back on the ice this series.
Rangers are a young team except 5-7 guys, but they all have been thru trials and tribulations of playoff hockey so far going back to the Covid shootout loss, to ECF, to losing to NJ last year.
Shesty is battle tested. NYR D is solid 1-6
Zibby line going/Panarin line going
And 3rd and 4th lines playing well.

Canes are going to have their hands full.
Both teams will likely be happier with a little more open ice in this one compared to their previous 2 opponents.
Rangers getting in some solid rest right now is key.
If you play long grueling series in the 1st 2 rounds, you’re going to run out of gas, simple as that.
Both teams finished the job in short order in RD 1.

I’m going with Rangers in 6 but it will be a good series one way or the other.
NYR PK/PP, shesty being the better of the guys in net, and I think the rangers have a deeper/more battle tested 4 lines.
That gives them the advantage in this one for me.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
wouldn't be surprised to see either team win it. My gut feeling is that a typical game in this series will be Carolina outshooting the Rags by 20, only to lose anyway because Zibanejad scores a hat trick on powerplays. So I'll say NYR in 7.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Canes in 5. The difference between the hockey the two teams play is just too big for the Rangers to come out on top. A lot has to change for that to happen and I don't trust Laviolette one bit.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
This series is going 7 games. Normally I would have favored Carolina, but it is going to depend on how many healthy players they have left by game 7.

I know a lot of people laugh at the thought of Rempe having an impact on the series, but consider that he managed to injure 3 Caps in only 4 games. If he plays all 7 games that could mean as many as 5 injured Canes.

unless i'm missing someone think it was just tvr rempe sent to the upside down. i heard oshie apparently broke his hand on a hit but i don't think anyone even noticed it happen. laf killed the other defenseman.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
So this again.

I don't think you can look at either teams 1st rounds and draw any conclusions from the lack of blowouts or whatever. Both teams were big favorites and did what they had to do. I'm sure this series will elevate both sides.

I want the Canes to win, but historically the Rod Canes have lost to elite goaltenders who are at the top of their game and have the team to back it up. Whether it's Vasy, Shesterkin, Bob or Rask.

Obviously they have probably their best offensive arsenal this year so the goal is to change that, but I'd almost flip it and wonder if the Canes are going to be as strong defensively. Some of the goals they let in against the Isles were bad, guys left all alone in front of the net, and if both Fast and Pesce are out that's a piece missing.

Rangers are a tough nut to crack regardless, and they beat the Canes a couple years ago. They know what to expect and aren't going to be caught off guard like the Devils last year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This one is a bit hard to call.

Both dominated round 1 - but a lot of it was that the 2 opponents they faced were by far the weakest in the playoffs. So it's hard to get a great read on which team truly looks better.

I'll go ahead and predict Rangers in 6.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
And yes, the Islanders hung around and we need to up our game. But...isn't that the Islanders pedigree in the playoffs? To frustrate teams and be pesky.

It makes me wonder how the Rangers would fare vs the Islanders in a playoff series if the roles were reversed?

I mean, the Islanders have beaten the Bruins, the Penguins as examples in the playoffs with that type of play.

Rangers play a style more like Carolina.

Las time the teams faced it went 7 and Carolina just ran out of gas in that 7th game and that was the year Carolina could not win on the road.

I expect Guentzel to show up this series although I think moving Jarvis off his opposite wing was a mistake. The Guentzel-Aho-Jarvis line was clicking...and then Brindamour moved Jarvis down to Staal's line since Fast is out and now that line is not gelling.

Andersen and Shesterkin will be a good matchup especially now that Andersen is healthy.

Last time he faced the Rangers after the game he missed most of the season with blood clotting or deep vein thrombosis and couldn't do anything for a month.

Since he's returned he's been on another level.

Now, that the Isles are gone I do expect the Canes to play their game and now that the Caps are gone the Rangers will play their game.

Who will crack first?

Looking at this series and how high the stakes are it reminds me of the 2006 season in the ECF when the Canes faced the Sabres. This was that time the Sabres were REALLY good. They had a Ryan Miller in his prime, Ted Drury, Maxim Afinogenov, Daniel Briere.

The only difference is that year the Canes had home ice; this year the Rangers have home ice. Still, it's that good.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’m a bit surprised to me honest on how many are picking Rangers

Their 5on5 game has been quite mehh.

But then again Carolina wasn’t as impressive against the Isles that you would have thought/wanted to see

Reactions: shizovitch

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Steel sharpens Steel… that’s what I’m hoping anyway from the 1st round. NYI put up a battle and Cabes came out on top but I think it was somewhat eye opening and a good way for them to start off the playoffs. Even with injuries they should know what to do to make it through NYR.

Losing Fast and Pesce for the round is a tough one but it’s the playoffs and injuries happen. It’s not like Slavin and Aho going down so use it to ignite the team not as an excuse.

I don’t even care if we get swept in the ECF again just beat the Rangers please

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad