Online Series: Fallout (Amazon, April 10, 2024)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was shocked when I saw Rapaport I literally laughed out loud and my wife was so confused why, I was expecting some tough badass guy lol.

I can see how the use of the BoS as comic relief might land poorly among some viewers, particularly gamers who are pre-disposed to their kick-ass, stoic and somewhat fascist stratocracy.

It's a bit like the Warhammer 40K universe where some people actually buy into the Imperium of Man's violent religious fanaticism and others recognize that they are not meant to be idolized but are in fact just as reprehensible as the other factions (by design). Another example is the military-led society in Verhoeven's Starship Troopers.

Personallly, I didn't mind it, because the tone of the show is meant to reflect the juxtaposition of dark humour with the horror of post-apocalyptic existence that is very much a part of the games.

I do hope they bring a little more balance to the portrayal in subsequent seasons. The BoS are a bit of a deus ex machina, bringing their advanced technology, weaponry and training to bear only when absolutely necessary. Whether a threat or an ally, at some point the show runners have to demonstrate to the viewer that they are not to be trifled with.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco
Sep 19, 2008
I finished episode 2, went to episode 3 and was bombarded with an ad for laundry.

Why the f*** should I care about that shit? Get to the show.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Watched couple episodes. It is kinda boring so far. The only thing made me interested - the actor from the Person of Interest. He even plays the same character type (eccentric scientist) and also has a dog.
Is it going to get better after 2nd episode or it stays the same?

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I finished episode 2, went to episode 3 and was bombarded with an ad for laundry.

Why the f*** should I care about that shit? Get to the show.
One thing I've learned is that chicks really dig guys whose clothes smell good. Especially when she has to wear your collared shirt and pajamas home the next morning instead of her dress.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Watched couple episodes. It is kinda boring so far. The only thing made me interested - the actor from the Person of Interest. He even plays the same character type (eccentric scientist) and also has a dog.
I thought it was a good show but If you didn't like the first 2 episodes and the only thing interesting you is the actor, you may as well move on.

Reactions: Hint1k

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I felt similarly about the first couple of episodes and not much has changed after 5 episodes, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I can't believe they turned such a grim, bleak, serious, dark, gritty and violent video game series into a comedy... maybe because of the marvel movies?

had to shut it off after episode 3. f*** off.
Is this a serious comment? The games have always been satirical. New Vegas especially is hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: John Price

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Is this a serious comment? The games have always been satirical. New Vegas especially is hilarious.
absolutely there are satirical elements in the games... but ignore everything else I said about the games and lets focus on the comedy?

where's the mutated bot flies? they always freaked me out, but maybe they're not funny so lets not put them in the show? mudcrabs? deathclaws? super mutants? mirelurks? we do see a mutated cow for about 2 seconds... no butt hole shots though, I always check out the cows butt holes in the game, who's the artist behind that anyway? where's all the feral ghouls? they were absolutely terrifying and unpredictable in the game... oh wait that's not funny... what about the radscorpions and molerats that come up from the ground? fun to kill... but not so funny. remember being abducted by aliens? being probed can be funny... wheres the imbred redneck psycho killers from Point Lookout? they're kinda funny looking... lobotomized tribals who attack in swarms? hilarious. we get the Brotherhood of Steel (kinda p*ssies in the show btw) but where are all the other factions that murder each other for the tech? murder can be funny. remember the Mother of the Fog quest? definitely creepy, exploring the ruins of the Dunwich Borers with a immense sense of dread? Grandchester Mystery Mansion outside Nuka-World with that freaky ghost kid? where are those elements in the show?

there is one main ghoul in the show though... but of course he's a comedian...

oh well... glad you liked it and glad you found that the show captures all elements and feelings from the games...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
absolutely there are satirical elements in the games... but ignore everything else I said about the games and lets focus on the comedy?

where's the mutated bot flies? they always freaked me out, but maybe they're not funny so lets not put them in the show? mudcrabs? deathclaws? super mutants? mirelurks? we do see a mutated cow for about 2 seconds... no butt hole shots though, I always check out the cows butt holes in the game, who's the artist behind that anyway? where's all the feral ghouls? they were absolutely terrifying and unpredictable in the game... oh wait that's not funny... what about the radscorpions and molerats that come up from the ground? fun to kill... but not so funny. remember being abducted by aliens? being probed can be funny... wheres the imbred redneck psycho killers from Point Lookout? they're kinda funny looking... lobotomized tribals who attack in swarms? hilarious. we get the Brotherhood of Steel (kinda p*ssies in the show btw) but where are all the other factions that murder each other for the tech? murder can be funny. remember the Mother of the Fog quest? definitely creepy, exploring the ruins of the Dunwich Borers with a immense sense of dread? Grandchester Mystery Mansion outside Nuka-World with that freaky ghost kid? where are those elements in the show?

there is one main ghoul in the show though... but of course he's a comedian...

oh well... glad you liked it and glad you found that the show captures all elements and feelings from the games...
How much budget and time do you think the show had? Also I've never seen a post on this subforum so desperate for memberberries. Then again the whole thing about buttholes I probably shouldn't be taking this post remotely seriously.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Fallout is a super serious, bleak verging on depressing game series.

that's one aspect of the games that no one denied....

what about a video of when you nuke megaton, dooming an entire population of innocent people and children to nuclear oblivion? that's not super serious, bleak verging or depressing... it's hilarious

what about a video of you being chased in a endless maze of underground tunnels by terrifying feral ghouls? they wanna cut your face off, wear it, and poke your corpse with a stick... sounds like a great time
How much budget and time do you think the show had?

Amazon’s ‘Fallout’ to Film Second Season in California With $25 Million Tax Credit

Fallout” has the largest budget of any of the shows, at $153 million in qualified expenditures for the season
all of the budget and all of the source material...

but I guess the showrunners just decided to go a different route from the games? because?
that's ok, not my cup of tea and it's not fallout to me... I think I'll just stick with the games.

The Last of Us... now that's an adaption that nailed it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
that's one aspect of the games that no one denied....

what about a video of when you nuke megaton, dooming an entire population of innocent people and children to nuclear oblivion? that's not super serious, bleak verging or depressing... it's hilarious

what about a video of you being chased in a endless maze of underground tunnels by terrifying feral ghouls? they wanna cut your face off, wear it, and poke your corpse with a stick... sounds like a great time

Amazon’s ‘Fallout’ to Film Second Season in California With $25 Million Tax Credit

all of the budget and all of the source material...

but I guess the showrunners just decided to go a different route from the games? because?
that's ok, not my cup of tea and it's not fallout to me... I think I'll just stick with the games.

The Last of Us... now that's an adaption that nailed it.
Brother, I don't know what to tell you. Season 1 spent plenty of time focusing on the horrors of nuclear war and how civilization has been ravaged and changed by it. Just like the games did. And just like the games, they undercut everything with an irreverent sense of humor about things. Like if you actually stuck with it to the end you'd also get some horrific backstory on the Vault-Tec plan to utilize the Vaults for awful human experimentation but ay, they cracked wise a few times so the whole thing must be a clown show right?

As to budgeting and checking off the laundry list of fan service cameos/references you seem to think were necessary for a quality adaptation, you're ignoring that The Last of Us was a beat for beat and almost line for line live action adaptation of a story that was already told by the first game. A good one. Don't get me wrong. But Fallout (Amazon) is an original story which, outside the last minute of the show, takes place in a novel location, with novel characters, 7 years after the events of Fallout 4. You're asking a lot for them to include all these enemies and elements from other games in different stories to shoe horn in as much of it as possible in an eight hour serial while also telling a singular and cohesive story, much of which is centered around backstory with Vault-Tec, the creation of the Vaults, and pre-war backstory reflecting into the future. A lot of the elements you're whining about can easily be introduced in later series while keeping the core of this narrative universe at center in the first season.

Like if you didn't like it, you didn't like it, I'm not gonna convince you to like something you don't. But your rationale on a number of these points seems silly. Especially when it comes to knocking it as another in a long line of bad video game adaptations. What you're hoping to see in one season of a show of this scope and scale is just not feasible in live action. I guess you can always hold your breath for an anime adaptation one day.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I always found Fallout more funny and satirical than grim and depressing. I guess you could argue that the show doesn't capture the same level of black humour as the games and that it's comedy is a little more lighthearted in general.

But the claim that Fallout shouldn't be so comedic, to me is a surprising one.

Sep 19, 2008
I am a bit disturbed at the gratuitous use of profanity but overall this show is decent.

I will say the knight and squire celebration after finding the head was hilarious and one of the best things I've seen so far

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I am a bit disturbed at the gratuitous use of profanity but overall this show is decent.

I will say the knight and squire celebration after finding the head was hilarious and one of the best things I've seen so far
There's too much profanity in tv shows nowadays. Overdone and repetitive. And sex scenes. Bridgerton has way too many sex scenes. How can I watch this with my kids?

• Haha
Reactions: John Price

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Well, seeing as there's hundreds of hours of content in the games and like 8 hours of content in the series, maybe wait and see?

BTW, I just watched Star Wars: A New Hope, and it was disappointing.

Where are the speeder bikes and the AT-ATs? Where are the grand cities in the clouds and the giant planet capitals? Where are the Ewoks and the snowspeeders and the Wampas? Where is Yoda and any kind of force training? Where are the green lightsabers and Jabba and the big pit that the people fall into? Where is this Emperor I've been hearing so much about? Where is Boba Fett and all these bounty hunters that supposedly kick ass? Where are the asteroid fields and the space slugs and the TIE Bombers and the TIE Interceptors? Where are the giant fleet battles with huge capital ships shooting at each other?

Last edited:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I think you guys are being taken for a ride, seems obvious when he says Fallout isnt funny. Also he slipped and said no feral ghouls despite having an action scene killing feral ghouls

In a game where you have super mutatants acting silly and cracking jokes, someone saying a ghoul with humor isnt Fallout is clearly just trolling you

Reactions: NyQuil

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The first Fallout was actually quite bleak and depressing. It wasn't until the following games that the series lightened up and became more hopeful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad