Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
PLD-Byfield-Fiala
Bertuzzi-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Laferriere
matt martin-Turcotte-Thomas
lewis

Anderson-Doughty
Chychrun-Clarke
Martinez-Spence
Moverare

Broissoit/Rittich

Gavrikov/2nd in 2025/Kaliyev rights for Chychrun

bertuzzi 5.5 for 4 years
martin 1 year 1 mil
Broissoit 2 years 3 mil

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
PLD-Byfield-Fiala
Bertuzzi-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Laferriere
matt martin-Turcotte-Thomas
lewis

Anderson-Doughty
Chychrun-Clarke
Martinez-Spence
Moverare

Broissoit/Rittich

Gavrikov/2nd in 2025/Kaliyev rights for Chychrun

bertuzzi 5.5 for 4 years
martin 1 year 1 mil
Broissoit 2 years 3 mil

And Amart? You're looking at 3-4 mil x 3 at least.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I would add Joshua and Zadorov.

The problem with letting Roy go is the Kings already have the softest D in the league. The Oilers basically admitted the past two seasons playing the big D of Vegas and Vancouver has made life tough on them.

Has Doughty, Anderson (who McDavid ran twice in the past few seasons), Roy, and Gavrikov made it tough for the Oilers? Maybe Doughty has with some big hits, but the rest are soft besides Roy, who can be nasty.

So now the Kings insert Clarke into a top 4 of Doughty, Anderson, Gavrikov and Clarke. Wow, really tough D. Not only are they NOT mobile besides Clarke, they are small and soft.

Hiller will get hired and Sturm will either stay in Ontario or bolt for San Jose.

Blake and Luc stay at the helm again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Zissou

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
A team that's about to go to the conference finals for the second time in 3 years ain't bad.
The results in a vacuum aren’t bad at all, there is no denying that.

The culture, direction, and lack of change to address obvious issues is moreso what I was speaking to.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I would add Joshua and Zadorov.

The problem with letting Roy go is the Kings already have the softest D in the league. The Oilers basically admitted the past two seasons playing the big D of Vegas and Vancouver has made life tough on them.

Has Doughty, Anderson (who McDavid ran twice in the past few seasons), Roy, and Gavrikov made it tough for the Oilers? Maybe Doughty has with some big hits, but the rest are soft besides Roy, who can be nasty.

So now the Kings insert Clarke into a top 4 of Doughty, Anderson, Gavrikov and Clarke. Wow, really tough D. Not only are they NOT mobile besides Clarke, they are small and soft.

Hiller will get hired and Sturm will either stay in Ontario or bolt for San Jose.

Blake and Luc stay at the helm again.
As much as I would like this, those 2 are due for huge raises that we cannot afford.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Realistically, they made the playoffs 3 years in a row. I can't remember an instance of a team making huge changes after that.

Disclaimer: This is not an endorsement of the franchise's current path.
Yup -- that's exactly why Bluc did not sell Roy, etc. at the TDL. Missing the playoffs meant their heads were potentially on the block. Making the playoffs, even if pathetically bowing out yet again and with not much future (prospects, draft picks, cap space, etc.), means another year of guaranteed job safety. Unfortunately for us fans.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
If they give Hiller more than 1 year, that is a sign of insanity... 1 year pretty much guarantees the whole lot of them are gone after next wasted season.

Reactions: tny760

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Yup -- that's exactly why Bluc did not sell Roy, etc. at the TDL. Missing the playoffs meant their heads were potentially on the block. Making the playoffs, even if pathetically bowing out yet again and with not much future (prospects, draft picks, cap space, etc.), means another year of guaranteed job safety. Unfortunately for us fans.
This happens when you invite the biggest traitor in Kings history back into the organization and appoint him as GM

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Bluc's management style is "what is the least controversial thing we can do to ensure nobody gets fired". Zero vision. They would never do a trade like Visnovsky for Stoll and Greene in a million years. Or hired Sutter out of the blue for the HC. I've said it before but it feels like having this management group is exactly the same thing as loading up chat GPT and prompting it what to do in the morning. Maybe that's what they're doing.

Chat GPT who should be our next head coach?
"The players have accepted Jim Hiller well and he has stringed together a respectable run of results. The familiarity with the team is an added bonus and teams don't generally respond well to high turnover in coaching. Notwithstanding an unfortunate playoff run against a strong Edmonton team, extending him could be the right move for the team moving forward. Additionally it would save the franchise some money while keeping stability and continuity in the organization."

Thank you chat GPT. You could come up with similar stuff for Dubois or Fiala trades. It feels like the team is being run by AI.

Last edited:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Realistically, they made the playoffs 3 years in a row. I can't remember an instance of a team making huge changes after that.

Disclaimer: This is not an endorsement of the franchise's current path.
Realistically, the other rebuilding teams made us making the playoff 3 years in a row.
Its the very unique setup of 5 out of 8 teams are bottom feeders, which leads the other 3 teams making the playoff regardless they belong there or not.

As long as this is sold as a success, we are doomed

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The first thing Lombardi would do if he were in charge now would be to trade Fiala.
1000%. The old Pavol Demitra move.

If they give Hiller more than 1 year, that is a sign of insanity... 1 year pretty much guarantees the whole lot of them are gone after next wasted season.
How is more than one year a sign of insanity? I imagine he will be the lowest paid coach in the league. Not that AEG wants to pay another person not to coach this team but it would probably be peanuts.

Of course, Hiller would probably take a one year deal and bet on himself. I don't think is phone would be ringing off the hook for a head coaching position. Maybe not for assistant coach either if you are a PP coach and you score zero of them in the playoffs.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
1000%. The old Pavol Demitra move.

How is more than one year a sign of insanity? I imagine he will be the lowest paid coach in the league. Not that AEG wants to pay another person not to coach this team but it would probably be peanuts.

Of course, Hiller would probably take a one year deal and bet on himself. I don't think is phone would be ringing off the hook for a head coaching position. Maybe not for assistant coach either if you are a PP coach and you score zero of them in the playoffs.
Because this regime is most likely a lame duck this season - and if that is not the case, AEG is insane. Signing him long term would handcuff the next GM.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I feel like a two year deal is in the cards because one year is pretty tough. If he really isn't the guy, then why even sign him for one season?
I believe this has to do with AEG not wanting to overlap salaries in GM/head coach role and throw out more salary when the regime itself is on very thin ice.. they sell it to Hiller that if you prove yourself you'll get a long term deal following season.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Bluc's management style is "what is the least controversial thing we can do to ensure nobody gets fired". Zero vision. They would never do a trade like Visnovsky for Stoll and Greene in a million years. Or hired Sutter out of the blue for the HC. I've said it before but it feels like having this management group is exactly the same thing as loading up chat GPT and prompting it what to do in the morning. Maybe that's what they're doing.

Chat GPT who should be our next head coach?
"The players have accepted Jim Hiller well and he has stringed together a respectable run of results. The familiarity with the team is an added bonus and teams don't generally respond well to high turnover in coaching. Notwithstanding an unfortunate playoff run against a strong Edmonton team, extending him could be the right move for the team moving forward. Additionally it would save the franchise some money while keeping stability and continuity in the organization."

Thank you chat GPT. You could come up with similar stuff for Dubois or Fiala trades. It feels like the team is being run by AI.
lol, i swear this is exactly what they say in press conferences.
At this point, has someone actively seen BLuc around the organization?

I feel like a two year deal is in the cards because one year is pretty tough. If he really isn't the guy, then why even sign him for one season?
You must be new here

Everyone knew from way before the trade PLD wasn't the right guy.
This is not a reason not to sign someone in our organization

• Haha
Reactions: BigKing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad