Speculation: Goalie Controversy

Who do you want to be the starter for game 1 in the playoffs?

• Georgiev

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Annunen

Votes: 72 81.8%

• Total voters

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
With landeskog possibly coming back and nuke's money being an unknown i don't know how you can afford to go goalie hunting. We are so f***ed next year.

Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
George wasn’t horrible to finish off… but he wasn’t great either. He was negative GSAA for the Dallas series and was still bad on low danger opportunities. He wasn’t outright horrific like game 1 vs the Jets, but a slight better performance at least pushes this series to 7. He did what he could in the stinker of game 4 and that performance was fantastic by him. The low danger stuff needs cleaned up though. The margins are just too thin.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
George wasn’t horrible to finish off… but he wasn’t great either. He was negative GSAA for the Dallas series and was still bad on low danger opportunities. He wasn’t outright horrific like game 1 vs the Jets, but a slight better performance at least pushes this series to 7. He did what he could in the stinker of game 4 and that performance was fantastic by him. The low danger stuff needs cleaned up though. The margins are just too thin.
Is there a GSAA comparison between him and Oettinger around for entire 2nd round?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It seems readily apparent that the team got absolutely worn out during the regular season and Georgiev played a large role in that. Partially because he too got overworked but also he faltered badly throughout the year and the team—MacKinnon especially—had to go into God Mode in order to make up for it.

I don’t see some magical solution out there but this organization needs to radically rethink how they approach goaltending. Their half-assed approach at developing one in-house and just kinda forgetting that a third goalie is important, ESPECIALLY when one or both of the guys in front of him are extremely injury-prone, are really biting them in the ass.

Despite the stretches of relatively good play from both of them, a George/Justus tandem does not instill me with confidence.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
The Avs, the highest scoring team in the league, scored only 1 goal in 3 games this series. That's the problem; they couldn't solve their system, and the Stars have guys on ELCs contributing that allow them to get people like Tanev.

Only 4 players on the Avs roster were drafted by the Avs; Mack, Miko, Makar, and Juice.

The Stars have 11 draftees on their team.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs, the highest scoring team in the league, scored only 1 goal in 3 games this series. That's the problem; they couldn't solve their system, and the Stars have guys on ELCs contributing that allow them to get people like Tanev.

Only 4 players on the Avs roster were drafted by the Avs; Mack, Miko, Makar, and Juice.

The Stars have 11 draftees on their team.
Pretty much. The Avs would be a complete wagon for a long time if they even somewhat knew what the f*** they were doing at the draft table.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It seems readily apparent that the team got absolutely worn out during the regular season and Georgiev played a large role in that. Partially because he too got overworked but also he faltered badly throughout the year and the team—MacKinnon especially—had to go into God Mode in order to make up for it.

I don’t see some magical solution out there but this organization needs to radically rethink how they approach goaltending. Their half-assed approach at developing one in-house and just kinda forgetting that a third goalie is important, ESPECIALLY when one or both of the guys in front of him are extremely injury-prone, are really biting them in the ass.

Despite the stretches of relatively good play from both of them, a George/Justus tandem does not instill me with confidence.
They aren't going to spend assets to dump George and then spent more assets and cap space to get a better goalie.

We are near the end of our window which means that we are in a cap crunch and low on assets/prospects.

We aren't upgrading any position we're looking to see where we can downgrade and stay competitive.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They aren't going to spend assets to dump George and then spent more assets and cap space to get a better goalie.

We are near the end of our window which means that we are in a cap crunch and low on assets/prospects.

We aren't upgrading any position we're looking to see where we can downgrade and stay competitive.
After Georgiev redeemed himself these playoffs, you can bet he does not cost an asset to move anymore if the Avs choose to go that route.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I know they won’t try and upgrade the goaltending, though I don’t think they have to spend assets to dump him either. He’s signed for only one more year at a reasonable number, there would be a taker somewhere. But that second part, yeah, that’s where the problem would lie.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
All situations per NST (based on team games here so ignore the other goalies)

2.37 for Otter. -0.32 for George. Little under a 3 goal difference in the series. Not enough to be the difference in the series, but probably enough to be a reason why it didn’t go 7.
Thanks,

From the eye-test i wouldve have thought they were quite the same, but I guess my bias shows there.

So seems like George played well (close to 0) but Otter outperformed him.
And as outside of game 4 and 5 all were one goal games, those extra goals sure were vital then that Oetter took that George didn't. Probably we have a game 7 where anything would've been possible.

Not putting now the blame on George, but instead tip the cap at Oetter.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Georgiev is a lower end starter goalie, which was enough two seasons ago but is not enough anymore. they need someone better or at least someone that can potentially be better (while costing less).

Georgiev shouldnt have a negative value in the market and I think for lottery teams trying to tank, he would be a perfect goalie, considerig age and everything. Avs can manage taking 4 goals against every game, most teams would not. Georgiev on team like the Coyotes i.e. would have put them as contenders for 1st overall.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks,

From the eye-test i wouldve have thought they were quite the same, but I guess my bias shows there.

So seems like George played well (close to 0) but Otter outperformed him.
And as outside of game 4 and 5 all were one goal games, those extra goals sure were vital then that Oetter took that George didn't. Probably we have a game 7 where anything would've been possible.

Not putting now the blame on George, but instead tip the cap at Oetter.
I don't think there is a ton of blame on George... he's part of a collection of reasons they lost, but not the primary reason. It comes down to low danger stuff where he is still way below average. I'd like to see that .923 push to .950+. In a series that had 2 OT games and games 2 and 3 were within a goal late... that ~2 extra goals given up there makes a difference.

I second the idea that the Avs need a better starter than they had in the past. They need a guy who can cannot bleed those goals that shouldn't be goals. It is clear the Stars' game plan was to simply tread water chances wise and eliminate as much high danger as possible... knowing that George will leak some and Otter won't.

Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oettinger definitely outplayed Georgiev, but Alex is not the reason why we lost.

Nonetheless, the biggest question here that the Avs need to ask is "can you win a Cup with him in the net?" That is the ultimate question and personally speaking, that answer is no. The problem though is I am fairly sure Avs saw his performance and how he was able to rebound that he will be given another chance and it probably will be another wasted year until Avs go after another hopeful goaler from an Eastern team as they did with Varlamov, Grubauer, and now George. I don't see him as a solution because he's just way too scrambly in net and his evident lack of size makes a lot of matters worse when it comes to getting beat or having to constantly swim in the crease to make saves. Reports say he is 6'1", but I think he's closer to 5'11"/6'0" than the former due to how shooters took advantage of him at times with shots.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Zero reason to be critical of Georgiev IMO.

He was probably their best and most consistent player all playoffs. I think he played better than both Kuemper and Grubauer in the playoffs too. They both gave up more soft goals than Georgie did.

First game against the Jets wasn't great, but he faced multiple defelections on those goals, and was able to dial in afterwards. Oettenger was better, but Georgiev was still very good, and made many big saves to keep the Avs in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad