Speculation: How dangerous will the Utah team be during the off season?

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Doubt we see an offer sheet. Most likely a trade or two and some FA signings. They have some great pieces and now they just need to put it together in a way that makes sense. I think they should be looking at the next 2 or 3 seasons to get where they want to be, no need to make every change just this off-season. If they make some good moves this year, then 2025 off season is when they should look to really make a splash.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Is Rantanen for sale? What would need to be added to 5th overall for him?
he probably is by about 40% of the fanbase. No one thinks it is likely though.
I'd assume the Avs would need something(s) back that facilitate filling some gaps in their current roster as well as a high end future. Since it mostly a cap allocation issue that makes moving Rantanen possible and not performance, they would want to project they are still looking to win so would need some play now options.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd assume the Avs would need something(s) back that facilitate filling some gaps in their current roster as well as a high end future. Since it mostly a cap allocation issue that makes moving Rantanen possible and not performance, they would want to project they are still looking to win so would need some play now options.
Can we reverse the Lehkonen trade, then trade you 5th overall + Lehkonen? :naughty:

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Bill Armstrong is not known for being aggressive!
He doesn't need to go after forwards, but may tweak the forward group by going after a 2-way center to play between Keller and Schmaltz and likely to address this during free agency and be dependent on where they are at with the cap.
The defense needs to improve from last season. They have a few good defensive prospects, so long term contracts aren't necessary. Ideally they should get a couple of blueliners that can eat up minutes so Durzi and Moser don't have to.
Not only can draft picks be in play, but unsigned RFAs could be (except maybe Durzi and Moser) also.
I look for them to, instead of having a #1 pairing, but to have the equivalent of 3 2nd pairs and they can easily afford it.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
extremely dangerous. They’ll kidnap free agents and keep them on their compound.

Seriously, their owner is a guy that wants to win and will spend money and make the necessary moves. I think they’re going to be a successful franchise once they get going

Reactions: Sota Popinski

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Schmaltz+ or Hayton+ going the other way?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The Utah Mavericks… play, Danger Zone, the Top Gun theme song as they take the ice.
Wouldn't that make more sense if they were in California ? Isn't Miramar right outside San Diego? Utah Romneys.

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
I thought it was Miramar base in SD, CA but i could be wrong. I know it isn't in Utah. I did a little research and it started in Miramar and moved to NV in the late 90s. So Vegas should have been the Mavericks or the Vegas Aces.

I live in San Diego, and Miramar is 10 minutes from me - it's north of downtown SD, but still within the city limits (SD is geographically quite large). At the time of the first Top Gun movie Miramar was a Naval Air Station and did host the fighter pilot training program, so the movie was set in SD. But in the '90s Miramar was transitioned from being a Naval facility to the Marines - it's now technically Marine Corps Air Station Miramar - so the fighter pilot school moved to Nevada and the second Top Gun movie was set at Naval Air Station North Island (Coronado), just across the harbor from San Diego proper.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They've certainly got the cap space, the reason to want to make a big splash, and plenty of assets to get some things done. I could see them making a push on a handful of UFAs that could distort the market even more this summer.

I don't see them getting involved in the whole offer sheet business. Mostly just because they do not work. If they were to get involved, it would be more about forcing up the price of a guy for someone else...so help kick someone else loose as a UFA. It doesn't even work to force a trade of someone else, because teams will hold it against them and simply trade that desired player somewhere else instead. Every year, people still get all bent out of shape about Offer Sheet hypotheticals...and it's really just not a big danger. Half the time, it just provides a convenient contract for that team to match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad