Is this shady or normal for hockey parents?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Wait, so your kids team has to practice at various rinks during the season?

Absolutely.

I mean games are one thing, obviously. We live on the south side, but we can have games on the north side, or out in suburbs, or even way out in the country.

But practices? There's probably a half dozen or more rinks where we'd have practices. Generally speaking they'd be on the south side, but beyond that could be anywhere.

There's no such thing as a "home rink".

Not that these names will mean anything to you, but we could have practices at Terwillegar, Kinsmen, George Hughes, Confederation, Tipton, Millwoods, Meadows, or Londonderry...

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Very common in Edmonton. There are 76 ice sheets in the Edmonton and surrounding areas. City of Edmonton 981,000. Metro Edmonton 1.32M people.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that the rest of the world doesn't think about hockey the way Canadians do.

So we have 76 ice sheets (Taking you at your word, sounds about right) in a region of 1.3 million. This year we have an exchange student from Spain living with us. Super sweet kid. But in all of Spain, a country of 47 million people, there are 14 ice sheets.

And that's without counting outdoor ice sheets (which obviously Spain doesn't have any).

And there are still lots of Canadians who don't care about hockey! I know plenty of people who couldn't care less about the sport. But enough of us do, passionately enough.

I mean just talking to other posters here - just the notion that ice rinks are owned and operated by the city is quite different from in the US.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
That’s pretty cool that they do that - gives the kids more competition then the same 5-6 teams.

I remember my daughter almost had a huge meltdown when she was 8 and played in a house league game.

She was in ADM and developing well, her skating was really good and her skill was just starting to emerge, etc

The rink she played ADM in, would “call” up last year ADM girls to play in a game or two with their house league girls team.

My daughter got her call up and we had never seen the girls house league team…

They were god awful and my daughter was trying to pass to these girls and make plays… but the girls couldn’t handle the passes or they would fall down.

I’ll never forget one play when my daughter chased down a loose puck and her teammate came in and took it off her, then that girl blindly threw it to the other team.

My daughter threw her head back and slammed her stick… I was like oh f*** stay calm child.

She came off the ice after the game and I knew what was coming…

“These girls suck” “they can’t even skate and robble robble!”

A grandma walked by staring at my daughter losing it and I was like “why me” and kept trying to calm her.

The coach of the team turned the corner and saw my daughter freaking out and asked me what was wrong and I made up some shit about how she “hates to lose”.

The coach laughed and told her she played well then took off.

That was the first and last house experience I had with her.

Not exactly the best experience for either of us.
So this happens all the time in our house league due to skill gaps. Like I said in a previous post, you can have a kid that just barely got cut from a rep team skating along side a kid that can barely skate (which seems wrong for a number of reasons).

Coaches will often try to balance lines to make his team more competitive. So you might have a really talented kid playing on a line with 2 awful wingers. The talented kid usually runs around playing D the entire shift to make up for the kids that aren’t so good.

When my son played House League, I’d ask him, “Why didn’t you pass to Billy, he was wide open in front of the net?” and he’d say, “Billy would’ve just messed it up dad”. And he wasn’t wrong. But also, trying to play the whole game by himself was terrible for development. Not to mention frustrating for him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Very common in Edmonton. There are 76 ice sheets in the Edmonton and surrounding areas. City of Edmonton 981,000. Metro Edmonton 1.32M people.

Absolutely.

I mean games are one thing, obviously. We live on the south side, but we can have games on the north side, or out in suburbs, or even way out in the country.

But practices? There's probably a half dozen or more rinks where we'd have practices. Generally speaking they'd be on the south side, but beyond that could be anywhere.

There's no such thing as a "home rink".

Not that these names will mean anything to you, but we could have practices at Terwillegar, Kinsmen, George Hughes, Confederation, Tipton, Millwoods, Meadows, or Londonderry...

Do you know the practice schedule before the season or do you randomly get told which rink to go to like a week before practices?

We have around 50+ sheets of ice within 30-45 mins from us, but I assume the difference here is all but two rinks in our area are privately owned.

We have two outdoor rinks that the city/county own, but they don’t rent out to any hockey org.

Like I mentioned earlier, the privately owned rinks rent the ice to a majority of the hockey programs around here and those rinks become that org “home” rink for games and practices.

It was nice when my daughter played for her old org because the rink was literally 2 mins away, so she had all of her weekly practices and home games there.

Her new org is way smaller and owned by two Canadians ironically - they bought an old run down rink and renovated it, then started a really great AA and AAA hockey program.

The rink is like 20 mins away, so all practices and home games are there.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So this happens all the time in our house league due to skill gaps. Like I said in a previous post, you can have a kid that just barely got cut from a rep team skating along side a kid that can barely skate (which seems wrong for a number of reasons).

Coaches will often try to balance lines to make his team more competitive. So you might have a really talented kid playing on a line with 2 awful wingers. The talented kid usually runs around playing D the entire shift to make up for the kids that aren’t so good.

When my son played House League, I’d ask him, “Why didn’t you pass to Billy, he was wide open in front of the net?” and he’d say, “Billy would’ve just messed it up dad”. And he wasn’t wrong. But also, trying to play the whole game by himself was terrible for development. Not to mention frustrating for him.

My daughter never played house, but we got cornered after one of her practices when she was in Squirt by the 12u girls travel coach.

He asked her to play for his team and she was already playing on a boys travel team, so I was pissed off this guy didn’t come to me first.

My wife said we should just let her play to be around other girls and there wasn’t very many games, so I stupidly gave in.

At the first practice a couple parents from the 12u girls team were talking to me and said how excited they were my daughter agreed to play for them.

I was like what the hell… how do they know who my daughter is and why would they care?

I found out pretty quickly why they were happy my daughter was coming aboard as she and one other girl were the only ones who could generate any offense.

It wasn’t as bad as the house league girls team as these girls could at least skate decent, but their skill level was lacking.

My daughter said the same stuff as your son, but I tried to tell her she needs to share the puck and make the girls on her line better.

She basically wanted to quit by mid season but I told her she had to tough it out.

Was a long… painful season.

Reactions: Minnesota Knudsens

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
It just goes to how awesome, yet frustrating, Canadian hockey can be. It's all organized city-wide. There's no "home rink" for my kid's team - practices can be almost anywhere in the city (although they tend to be in our rough geographic area). Because it's all city-owned rinks they do prioritize ice times for kids (although by U13 the times are getting later and later). There's an awful lot of positives.

Yet just because of the sheer size it can be incredibly bureaucratic. There structure is Local club-Hockey Edmonton-Hockey Alberta-Hockey Canada, all of which can and do make rules that you need to follow.

That's an interesting difference compared to Winnipeg. Here your practices are at the rinks in the geographic area of your local club. Games can be played around the city, but practices are always in your zone. The only exception is if you opt to rent ice time for extra practices, which more often than not means driving out to the small towns just outside the city, where ice time is typically much cheaper.

My daughter plays ringette and because there are way less kids playing (it's kind of a miracle ringette still exists in a world where women's hockey has taken off), the zones are a lot bigger. She routinely leaves town to play against rural teams which is something my son generally doesn't do, except for tournaments.

On the government run rink thing, I will say that up until 10-20 years ago nearly all rinks around here were run by governments or some organization affiliated with government (community centres running a city-owned rink, etc.). But a lot of the newer rinks are privately owned. And they are generally a hell of a lot nicer. The typical City of Winnipeg rink is a run down dump from the 60s or 70s, while the typical new privately owned rink is nice, bright and clean.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Do you know the practice schedule before the season or do you randomly get told which rink to go to like a week before practices?

<snip>

It was nice when my daughter played for her old org because the rink was literally 2 mins away, so she had all of her weekly practices and home games there.

We get a schedule maybe a month out - so not the whole year's schedule, but also not just a week in advance.

Yeah that's the one thing - there's one rink like 5 minutes from our house. You could walk there on a nice day. I love it when we get practices there - but we don't get many.

Oh I should also mention - beyond the practices mandated by our club, teams will have their own budget. There's a hard limit on "cash calls" but you can fundraise almost as much as you want. Our head coach last winter went hard - and rented a lot of extra ice time. So much so the club was questioning why we had so many practices. But those extra ice times could be absolutely anywhere, and often were. I got to find some "interesting" small towns this past winter as a result.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
That's an interesting difference compared to Winnipeg. Here your practices are at the rinks in the geographic area of your local club. Games can be played around the city, but practices are always in your zone. The only exception is if you opt to rent ice time for extra practices, which more often than not means driving out to the small towns just outside the city, where ice time is typically much cheaper.

<snip>

On the government run rink thing, I will say that up until 10-20 years ago nearly all rinks around here were run by governments or some organization affiliated with government (community centres running a city-owned rink, etc.). But a lot of the newer rinks are privately owned. And they are generally a hell of a lot nicer. The typical City of Winnipeg rink is a run down dump from the 60s or 70s, while the typical new privately owned rink is nice, bright and clean.

So the rinks don't necessarily line up with the community zones. There's a really nice 4-sheet facility, and a few 2-sheet facilities nearby - but not in our zone. So our practices are almost always on the right side of the city for us, but definitely not always within our zone map.

Our zone map is also kind of shaped like a pizza slice - so even for arenas that are within our boundaries they're not necessarily the closest to us (living out by the edge of the pizza slice).

City of Edmonton has built some very nice and new facilities - another one is scheduled to be finished by 2028 (not in our zone though) - but also has a collection of aging 50 year old facilities in "mature" neighbourhoods. There are a couple of very new and nice private rinks though - one owned by a neighbouring First Nations community, another owned by the Silent Ice group (they own the Seattle Thunderbirds, plus the JPHL and HSL). My rec league has been taking advantage of those rinks quite a bit (because the city otherwise reserves the best ice times for kids, and gives us old farts all the 10pm and later times). Curious to see if that trend will continue.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We get a schedule maybe a month out - so not the whole year's schedule, but also not just a week in advance.

Yeah that's the one thing - there's one rink like 5 minutes from our house. You could walk there on a nice day. I love it when we get practices there - but we don't get many.

Oh I should also mention - beyond the practices mandated by our club, teams will have their own budget. There's a hard limit on "cash calls" but you can fundraise almost as much as you want. Our head coach last winter went hard - and rented a lot of extra ice time. So much so the club was questioning why we had so many practices. But those extra ice times could be absolutely anywhere, and often were. I got to find some "interesting" small towns this past winter as a result.

That’s pretty rough, but I guess you get used to it.

I figure I’ve been to a hundred or more rinks around North America since my daughter started travel, so I’m glad I don’t have to run her all over the city for practices.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I’ve been around the game all my life, so I know this gets done a lot, I’m just trying to get opinions of if people think it’s shady or not.

When my child got into hockey 7 yrs ago, I warned my wife not to get too close to any of the parents because I knew what was coming eventually.

Now the shit hit the fan after tryouts this year and she feels betrayed and angry at several parents.

Our kids have been playing together for 4 years or so on the same team and 3 kids went out and secretly tried out for another team and left, even though they were already committed like the rest of our kids.

My wife and a couple other parents feel like they were stabbed in the back because now there are three holes on the roster and most of the best players in the area are already committed to other teams.

I said to my wife I get your anger and agreed these parents should have been upfront about their intentions and never committed.

However many hockey parents are out for their little Johnny and f*** everyone else, and that’s just the mentality they have… and I’m just used to that, so I wasn’t mad.

I so think it’s really shady, but these parents think what they are doing is right and trying to convince them otherwise is a fool’s errand.

Try not to take your kids activities too seriously, you seem too invested in this hockey team for kids

Reactions: Pablo Messier

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Try not to take your kids activities too seriously, you seem too invested in this hockey team for kids

Your reading comprehension needs work.

I made my OP because I was the only parent I know of from the team NOT upset about what happened.

However, due to posts in this thread/other people I know, I’ve reevaluated since then that I shouldn’t excuse away lying/shady behavior just because it’s a kids hockey team.

Your word is your word, be that to a friend, in a business deal or when signing a contract committing to a hockey team.

Last edited:

Pablo Messier

Jan 25, 2019
Your reading comprehension needs work.

I made my OP because I was the only parent I know of from the team NOT upset about what happened.

However, due to posts in this thread/other people I know, I’ve reevaluated since then that I shouldn’t excuse away lying/shady behavior just because it’s a kids hockey team.

Your word is your word, be that to a friend, in a business deal or when signing a contract committing to a hockey team.
While I agree with you, this kind of stuff bothers parents a heck of a lot more then it does the players. What bothers players is getting jobbed playing time.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
While I agree with you, this kind of stuff bothers parents a heck of a lot more then it does the players. What bothers players is getting jobbed playing time.

Yes and no.

My daughter just sees it as an opportunity for more ice time.

However the kids who left have been together since Squirt, so many of them felt betrayed and are really pissed off.

They aren’t even talking to the kids who left and apparently one of the kids who left got punched in the head by one of these former teammates.

My wife knows the mom of the kid who left that was punched and said they have had a really brutal few weeks because of how former teammates are treating her son.

I obviously don’t agree with this behavior and my daughter has hitting camp with this kid soon, so I told her she better be friendly with him.

Last edited:

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
It's definitely normal. Hell it's normal for a lot of non-sport situations as well. Out of college I was competing for a spot in a symphony in the Chicago area and ran into a guy I know pretty well that plays the same instrument that I do. He ended up being the one that got selected for the position in Chicago. Two weeks later I run into him again auditioning for a spot in DC which kindof surprised me since he already had the Chicago offer.
Sounds like an orchestrated scam

• Haha
Reactions: timekeep and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad